Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wanted to find a pilates thread but they were all old.

I did Pilates for the first time as recommended by my doctor for my back. For the first five minutes, I was like, this is so easy! How am I going to get a workout doing this? After the class, I was so out of it I got lost driving home. I was a mile from my house.

So... for those who do pilates, how often do you go? Do you think it has contributed to weight loss? My back feels nice and stretched out now. We'll see if I can walk tomorrow. ;)

I started Pilates 6 months prior to my surgery (Sleeved August 2019) and it has really helped decrease my back pain and strengthen my core! I love it! It’s great that it’s low impact but still so tough and such a muscle builder. Indirectly I think it has helped me with weight loss since improving my core strength and decreasing my back pain allows me to work out harder without aggravating the pain. I run, hike, and cross country ski again, which I wasn’t able to do this time last year. I only do Pilates once a week right now, and my trainer recommends at least twice a week for better results, but there is only so much time (and money).........

For best results, I would do it 2-3 times a week if you can. Is it good for weight LOSS? Maybe maybe not. But it is great for toning and strengthening your back and core... and depending on the workout, your arms and legs as well. With that, it helps tighten muscles and promotes a leaner body. I love Pilates. There are some pilates workouts that mix in some cardio... those are more likely to help with the losing of weight. But I think I prefer to do Pilates a couple days a week, and cardio other days. Right now that means a lot of walking/hiking.

I love Pilates as it lower impact on my aching lower back and I love how great I feel the next day after all the stretching. If you are looking for a more cost-effective alternative and have a smart tv, try pulling up some videos on YouTube. My favorite Pilates instructor is Ellen Barrett.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:06 AM, Chris NH said:

I love Pilates as it lower impact on my aching lower back and I love how great I feel the next day after all the stretching. If you are looking for a more cost-effective alternative and have a smart tv, try pulling up some videos on YouTube. My favorite Pilates instructor is Ellen Barrett.

good to know!

Edited by bodyjohn

I love Pilates for the stretch, tone, and flexibility results. I've done it on and off for years and have an Aero Pilates reformer at home. I don't know if it made a huge difference in my LOSS efforts but I feel so much better when I do it. I do feel like I'm much more toned for sure. In fact I've actually fallen away for the last 6 months or so and had found myself suffering the same exact back pain that brought me to it in the first place, and have just restarted my practice. Hopefully a few weeks and I should see a difference!

Not Pilates, specifically. BUT, I had a trainer that taught me what he called Egoscue. I guess he trained with the people who developed Egoscue. If you look it up, it looks like physical therapy for pain. The course and routine that my trainer did was sort of a combination of pilates and yoga. With the exception of a few years that I "fell off the wagon", I still do parts of that routine today.

I suffer from hip and sciatic pain, but when I'm doing that routine regularly I have none. When I do it regularly (sometimes daily, but at least 3 times per week), I have no pain. I am flexible and my balance is good. My trainer called it "organized."

I can't say that it's made a big impact on my weight loss, but having better posture and being physically organized has helped me become more active in general. It's also "shaped me" a bit and helped me lose inches in the right places.