Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins, gummies and pills. oh my!

What supplements are y'all taking besides the Calcium and Vitamins? I've added Biotin for Hair loss, Vitamin E and K for better calcium absorption, flaxseed oil for Omega-3 fatty acids (I'm a vegetarian so won't take fish oil...) and a probiotic. I had to get one of those freakin pill organizers that my mother-in-law used and laughed at...Gawd I'm gettin old...

I take 2 Bariatric Fusion Complete in the morning and two at night. chewable, taste good and has everything that I need instead of taking multiple pills.

i do take good Probiotics and extra Biotin as well.

Edited by Losingit2018

Oh I love my hero nutritionals slice of life Omega gummies with chia seed, since they are fish free. They taste good too. For now I get them from vitacost.com but the company told me they will be rebranded at the end of 2020.

https://www.vitacost.com/hero-nutritionals-slice-of-life-omega-3-with-chia-seed-adult-gummy-vitamins-natural-cran-orange-60-gummies

for my Multivitamin I need one that’s free of added iodine and I prefer Garden of life my kind organic prenatal multi whole food gummies. (a lot of bariatric people take prenatal vitamins)

I did get Garden of life raw one multivitamin capsules this month, I’m not sure I care for them. I guess Since I have some bloodwork due for a surgeon follow up I’ll find out how my levels are. But my throat has been having problems (likely not related to surgery) the gummies are easier in that regard. And I believe whole food based and chewable or liquid absorb better.

For hair skin and nails I like natures way alive hair skin and nails with collagen (300mg) gummies.

They also make a Calcium but I got a tablet from target, I guess I’ll find out how effective it is comparatively.

You are correct about Vitamin k , I recommend K2 as Menaquinone MK-7. I buy these sublingual for my mom

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VXDXXM0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might want to add in coenzyme Q10 as it’s extremely beneficial.

I also take digestive enzymes with meals.

For anyone who takes probiotics don’t forget that healthy gut bacteria needs to be fed with Prebiotic Fiber (inulin) or prebiotic foods. Chicory root is the best source of prebiotics. Some other sources are Apple pectin, konjac root aka glucomannan (you can buy shiritaki noodles made of this) as well as flaxseed and others I can’t think of at the moment.

Better than rice is a rice alternative and good source of prebiotics. Cooked right it tastes great.

https://www.vitacost.com/better-than-rice-organic-konnyaku-flour-organic-oat-fiber-rice-gluten-free?ta=better+than+rice&t=better+than+rice

I was told to avoid gummies. As you can see here, Johns Hopkins agrees Also good Vitamin info here

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/johns_hopkins_bayview/_docs/medical_services/bariatrics/nutrition-suggested-vitamin-mineral-supplements.pdf

”Multivitamin Recommendations:
 Multivitamin must be complete, containing Iron and other trace minerals. Should contain at least:
 200% Daily Value for most contents, specifically iron (36mg), folic acid (800mcg) and thiamin (3mg)  100% Daily Value for zinc (15mg), copper (2mg) and other nutrients
 Taking a Bariatric Multivitamin may eliminate the need for additional Vitamin D and B12 supplements.< br />  Bariatric Multivitamins are also available with different amounts of Iron, choose one that meets your individual needs and eliminate the need
for a separate Iron supplement as well.
 AVOID Gummy Multivitamins. Gummies do not have all the Vitamins and minerals you need.”

Edited by Losingit2018

12 minutes ago, Losingit2018 said:

I was told to avoid gummies. As you can see here, Johns Hopkins agrees Also good Vitamin info here

Not necessarily true. Not all gummy vitamins are created equal. The ones I buy are Whole Foods based, no added sugar, any sugar is low sugar and natural from fruit, and check labels and you see you are getting the Vitamins you need.

There are plenty of vitamins that are tablets that claim to be complete or bariatric but aren’t actually utilized by the body the way whole food based Gummy or liquid vitamins would be.

8 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

yes - many of us are told to avoid gummies. My surgeon told me that - and there are lots of posts on that.

My nutritionist said only to avoid gummy vitamins, but the other supplements can be in Gummy form.

24 minutes ago, JRT Mom said:

My nutritionist said only to avoid gummy vitamins, but the other supplements can be in Gummy form.

My nutritionist said no gummies but when I showed her the multivitamin and how much extra nutrition they provide she said they would be fine. The point about gummy vitamins is to make sure they are a good potency, that it’s a whole food source, and minimal sugar.

im pretty sure they specify no gummies just because they assume most people won’t pay attention to what’s in it and the quality of the Vitamin. But even Centrum can be a garbage vitamin that isn’t utilized by the body.

i just find it funny that sometimes the same nutritionist that says no gummies might also approve of fruit or carb foods earlier on. I’m not going to argue. But the nutritionist doesn’t know everything and sometimes I showed my nutritionist new things I’ve found and she was happy I shared and added it to her presentation for future bariatric patients. And she said the Vitamins I chose were great. And my levels have been good.

Some of this stuff is overkill...my surgeon said just the basics... Multivitamin and B12 and calcium+vitD that's it.

but I'll be getting my first post op blood test soon to see my levels and then maybe make any adjustments needed...

Thinking about a bypass (band in 2013), interested to know how effective taking all these supplements are.
How many have had blood tests to check your levels?
Do they give you sufficient nutrients given your smaller appetite?
Thanks for answering.

the first year after surgery I had a complete panel done at 3 months, 6 months, and at one year. After that, I just had (and still have) them done once a year. As for your second question, you adjust your supplements depending on the blood test results (for example, if your blood shows you're low on Calcium, then they'll have you increase your calcium dosage) - so yes, having regular blood tests to monitor your levels and adjusting your dosage if they're not does make your supplement intake sufficient...