Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 years later and - I Love my band

On 01/24/2020 at 17:27, Julie norton said:

There are many of us quieter banders who just keep going.

I had my lap band in 2006. Still happy still continue to work my healthy habits.

Not easy some days!! Mostly just habits after 13+ years.

High school weight feels right for me right now.

I’m hopeful to not lose my band... it happens

Hi Julie!

I haven’t logged in in over a year. So glad to see you posting here. I am coming up on six years with a successful band next month. Still 187 pounds and grateful that it has been stable. I’d love to take more weight off, so I’ve recently adjusted my d iet to eliminate the huge salads I was eating and eat more solid p rotein. Last time I was here there was a Banders 7 thread. Is there a newer thread with any old timers?

Just a note to the person who asked about which foods I have trouble with banded.

I get stuck on pork (?), raw carrots (always) and soft b read if don’t go slowly and take small bites. Toast, no problem.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, JustWatchMe said:

Just a note to the person who asked about which foods I have trouble with banded.

I get stuck on pork (?), raw carrots (always) and soft b read if don’t go slowly and take small bites. Toast, no problem.

With my band, the list of what I COULD eat was waaaay shorter than what I couldn't! Any at any given moment things I could tolerate before suddenly plugged me. I always said it was a matter of how that first bite landed against the band, and you could never predict that.

Haven’t been on in forever. Nice to see some bandsters still out there. I’ve had mine for almost 12 years. No major problems but keep it a little looser to avoid reflux. With that being said, I’ve also gotten looser with my food and I’ve gained about 50 lbs. ready to refocus and commit again.

Just passed 13 years having my band in September 2007, Still believe it was one of the best decisions I have already made.

I am also banded but am 10 years with it now! I got my surgery around July 2009 and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I haven't had a fill in about 6 years though and have some how managed. I did have some weight gain when I got pregnant both times because my doctor didn't want me to have any Fluid in the band. I think my stomach has shrunk over time or something. I can't eat as much as I used to but I can pretty much eat anything I want. I do get stuck sometimes on bread and potatoes unless it has some sort of condiment on it then I am fine. I haven't had any problems or issues with my band in the last 10 years. Good luck to anyone that is getting it and may you have an easy journey!!!!

WOW, good job!

On 2/3/2020 at 4:28 PM, 18 year banster said:

That's great to hear.....especially w so many band bashers out there........I'm 18 years out myself (was my doctors first patient actually) kept all my weight off all these years UNTIL....5 years ago late in my pregnancy( my baby girl wasn't gaining enuf weight ..had all Fluid removed...gained all the weight back FAST....was embarrassed to go back to my doctor for a refill...which was silly...but finally did 8 weeks ago and weight falling back off again just like it always did...I lived all these years as a "skinny person" with that famous perfect "sweet spot" in my band that I forgot I'm really a fat person in a banded skinny body lol...can't believe how fast weight came back (AND my food addictions)when Fluid was removed during pregnancy......and she was premature still..weighing 3 pounds......so I set recommend fluid removal when pregnant ......I now got my refill now and ..been losing like crazy again now that I got my sweet spot w my band again....band for me has truly been a lifesaver...would NEVER have it removed....its all about that sweet spot ....

I have only had my band for 13 years so 18 years is very impressive. For the most part have kept off most of the weight but just have to remember to make more good choices than bad one.

I tried to adhere to the Following "Use the 80/20 Rule: 80% of the time, make ideal, healthy choices. The other 20% of the time, enjoy the treats you love in moderation and let yourself savor the experience."

Makes losing weight slower but we are in this for a safe lifetime.

Another quiet and happy bandster here!

I'm almost 13 years out and absolutely love my band! It's hard to see so many people suffering from complications and i worry sometimes that even after 13 great years complication-free, that something could just go wrong! Honestly my biggest worry is that if something went wrong, i would no longer qualify for a revision surgery because i am at goal.

I've had my band since March 2008. I lost the majority of my weight in the first 6-9 months (from 200lbs down to 140lbs, i'm only 5'2") and managed to stay within a maintenance range for the past 12+ years, which included 2 pregnancies and a my fair share of fluctuations along the way. In the past year i have made some more habit changes that led me to drop another 20ish pounds leaving me at about 120-125lbs at 5'2".

It makes me so happy to see some positive bandsters out there sharing their stories as there are definitely still a lot of us on this band journey. Please keep posting and i will try to do the same!

On 1/31/2020 at 3:49 AM, ChristineMarie78 said:

I have very few problems with any food. My number one nemesis is tomatoes. Haven’t been able to eat them since surgery. Other than that everything works just fine. I have a 10cc band with 5.5 ccs currently in it. I still stay away from “slider foods” and I’m not big on sweets so that’s never been an issue. I have zero problems with any sort of Proteins or vegetables. (Minus tomatoes) all fruit is fine with me as well. I still have to chew carefully and I’m always the last to finish a meal but that’s fine with me.

This sounds like me. I'm a longhauler, too, 10 cc with 5.0 cc fill. I can eat pretty much everything, just smaller bites and much slower. No one likes to go to lunch with me because I take so long to finish my food! But still....love that my weight is stable and I had a Tummy Tuck last year to complete the transformation. Both procedures totally worth it...it is quite freeing to live in a body that I'm not ashamed of.

For those who love their band and have had weight loss success would u mind sharing your meal plan what foods you eat what foods or drinks you avoid and meal sizes do u weigh or count calories?

Hahaha I am 15 years into the lap band successfully with no fills and still down almost 100 pounds from surgery day. Was 150+ down before life stepped in lol. I love my band still, however. Exactly as my doctor had said this band is not a magic era it is to help you learn how to eat well. He was exactly truthful and that’s the way it is today. I eat one filling meal a day about 3 PM and a snack around 8 PM. My meal is generally planned about a week in advance because I still craving love food. So I eat it, all of it. Just not all at once.

1st Protein must have substance no bullshit food like lettuce. The protein of it is generally about 3 or 5 ounces. When it hurts I stop eating. Rule #1

snack: salami & good cheese 2oz

drink ONLY Water ever lol

reminder: the only exception to any rule is there’s always an exception mine has a 30 day value to it minimum.

eat and drink what you crave

never eat it more than once a month

lots of luck it’s all in your head

Banded in November 2011. Still lovin it. I wouldn't go for the entire/partial stomach removal methods. It was the band or nothing. But, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I think there are those of us who just needed that extra push to eat less and the band did that for me.

I got the Realize band back in 2010 found out was pregnant 2 weeks later! I have reflux worse now than before surgery. That is my only issue until the past 3 weeks. I have had a pain that seems to be where my band is...mine holds 10 CC's and I have been in my sweet spot for the past 3 years (I think I have 7.5/8cc's in) My husband says I am cranky, can't sleep well so I am finally going to take some Fluid out Aug 3rd. I still have trouble eating slow, chewing alot, drink with all my meals. and still sometimes eat to soon before bed time! With that being said I have a stabbing/every few minute headache as we speak from coughing ALL night....does anyone ever experience this problem????