Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing More By Eating More

I am one year post-op sleeve.

I struggled with losing weight for the last six months, was constantly stalled.

But I didn't gain weight (except for 3 1/2 pounds during holidays, which I've already lost).

So starting January 1st I started eating MORE calories, like a LOT, like 1300/day and guess what? I'm LOSING weight again.

My guess is my body had adjusted to the lower number of calories and was holding on to everything it was getting.

Or maybe my body just needed a rest.

But I feel like I had the longest stall in weight loss surgery history.

Happy now to see the scale going down daily!

This has been my strategy for a couple of reasons. The other important one being I need a plan I can stay on forever. Good job!

I haven't had surgery yet, but I have been dieting since July 2019 as my surgeon wanted me to get my BMI down to 50 before surgery. I started at trying to stay at or under 2400 calories per day and as I lost weight I dropped it to 2000 per day. After about 3 months I was comfortable on 1600 calories a day. I also noticed that if I stalled or even wasn't stalling that if I had a couple of days closer to my upper limits and then cranked it back down to lower I had my best week of weight loss. I haven't done much research but I think this is labelled as a calorie confusion diet or metabolic confusion diet. This is where you alternate between high calorie and low calorie days. I also did 16:8 intermittent fasting. Your body thinks it is starving on the lower calories and then you bump your metabolism back up with high calorie day.

17 minutes ago, Uomograsso said:

I haven't had surgery yet, but I have been dieting since July 2019 as my surgeon wanted me to get my BMI down to 50 before surgery. I started at trying to stay at or under 2400 calories per day and as I lost weight I dropped it to 2000 per day. After about 3 months I was comfortable on 1600 calories a day. I also noticed that if I stalled or even wasn't stalling that if I had a couple of days closer to my upper limits and then cranked it back down to lower I had my best week of weight loss. I haven't done much research but I think this is labelled as a calorie confusion diet or metabolic confusion diet. This is where you alternate between high calorie and low calorie days. I also did 16:8 intermittent fasting. Your body thinks it is starving on the lower calories and then you bump your metabolism back up with high calorie day.

This is what I do. And it works! I do ADF with calorie restriction.

I can’t wait until I am able to get to the point that I can start eating more calories. Right now I am just not able to take very much in. Plus I am not yet able to eat vegetables so it is killing my weight loss. I have been in a stall for two weeks now and I know it is because I am not eating enough. Very little that I can do about it at this point in time though.

I am one year post-op sleeve.
I struggled with losing weight for the last six months, was constantly stalled.
But I didn't gain weight (except for 3 1/2 pounds during holidays, which I've already lost).
So starting January 1st I started eating MORE calories, like a LOT, like 1300/day and guess what? I'm LOSING weight again.
My guess is my body had adjusted to the lower number of calories and was holding on to everything it was getting.
Or maybe my body just needed a rest.
But I feel like I had the longest stall in weight loss surgery history.
Happy now to see the scale going down daily!

So, I've attempted to do this for a couple of days but I just can't do it. I don't know how you're able to eat that much, but my sleeve just won't allow me to. I got up to 1200 calories once like three days ago, and I am still full. I'm averaging 750-900 calories on average. I guess I'll be stuck in the 190s for a while. :(

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Sometimes bumping your calories back up a bit for a while and then lowering them again can jumpstart your metabolism and get you over stalls and back to losing. It seems counterintuitive that eating more sometimes can lead to losing more, but it's true.

That's interesting is this idea like carb cycling but with calories? Where can I find more inform on how to do it. Some days I can eat up to 1300 calories but mostly it's between 600-900, 3 months post op.

Sent from my REVVLRY using BariatricPal mobile app