Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much sugar caused you to dump?

Hi all,

I am just heading into stage 3 food and am curious how much sugar caused you to dump in the early days. My plan allows for some fruit but I want to be careful...

thanks,

lori

Is not quantifiable. I find different things cause different issues on different days.

I agree with above Depends on the food - One thing that is rough for me is Bananas

I must agree w/ the above, it depends on your intake and how your body responds to it. Depending on what I ate, when I went wild and broke all rules, I would dump first thing in the morning :( Since losing my gallbladder, fat is what get's me.

Everyone will react differently.

With that said my first ever dumping was about 1.5 months post op from drinking like less than 1 fl oz of some lemon sake/soju drink.

Edited to add: oh and I'm a sleeve

Edited by ms.sss

although I've never seen statistics, A LOT of us don't dump at all (maybe half? I'm not sure. I've seen people throw numbers around on these forums, but I don't know if there's any research data behind that). Anyway, I've never dumped - and a lot of people don't. And among those who DO dump, some can only eat a very small amount of sugar before they dump, and others only dump when they eat a lot of it - so....it depends...

And what about sugar alcohols? I've not dumped because I've avoided sugar like the plague, but I ate 3/4 of a low carb Protein Bar the other day and my heart started pounding and I felt like I had to lay down. That may have been a dump on only 2 net carbs, so I suspect the sugar alcohols might have been the culprit...anybody else have problems with Protein Bars?

I can eat a little sugar (like a candy cane - oops!) only after a Protein meal. I always eat my fruit with protein or as dessert after a meal. I have never dumped. (And yes, I did write the candy cane down on my food diary before I ate it. It was an intentional cheat - planned and not impulsive. Not that it changes the calories, but it changes the impulsive binge behavior.)

Edited by AZhiker

If you're going to have fruits this early, I'd recommend berries and/or kiwi. These are lower sugar/glycemic index fruits.

My nutritionist recommended no more than 5 grams of sugar in a meal. And said no sugar alcohols. Although from personal experience they are not all equal. Maltitol causes the most gastric distress, while erythritol is generally better tolerated and doesn’t cause gastric distress. There is no fruit on my nutritionist plan. I personally limit sugar as much as possible due to metabolic disorders. But it’s not always sugar that causes dumping. I had my gallbladder removed due to chronic inflammation so now I need to be careful with fats. (And I love butter even more than I do sugar ...)

I don’t seem to have trouble with Protein Bars but I am careful which ones I buy. Never too much sugar or carbs. In moderation they can be fine. I bought some BariatricPal bars and have half with tea for Breakfast (depends what I plan for lunch) it’s always been my go to breakfast.

i did try some fruit but then stopped. It didn’t cause dumping but it was also too tempting to keep having more ... but for some sugar is an addiction and you don’t want to temp addiction.

I've dumped very seldom and it was always because of eating too much too quickly--never because of sugar. (Unfortunately, I have learned that I can eat an entire regular chocolate bar and not dump--which I did only ONCE, I swear!) I eat lots of fresh fruit and have never dumped because of it.

after my mgb anything with 2% or more milk and not very much sugar would cause dumping. it took about a year and a half before I could eat a little more.

Sometimes VERY little will make me feel sick......like a little 25 cent gumball.

But...i've been able to handle a grande White Mocha from Starbucks with full milk with no problem (I've ONLY done that twice for any food police out there lol).

Edited by TheJuice202

On 1/16/2020 at 11:09 AM, Darktowerdream said:

My nutritionist recommended no more than 5 grams of sugar in a meal. And said no sugar alcohols. Although from personal experience they are not all equal. Maltitol causes the most gastric distress, while erythritol is generally better tolerated and doesn’t cause gastric distress. There is no fruit on my nutritionist plan. I personally limit sugar as much as possible due to metabolic disorders. But it’s not always sugar that causes dumping. I had my gallbladder removed due to chronic inflammation so now I need to be careful with fats. (And I love butter even more than I do sugar ...)

I don’t seem to have trouble with Protein Bars but I am careful which ones I buy. Never too much sugar or carbs. In moderation they can be fine. I bought some BariatricPal bars and have half with tea for Breakfast (depends what I plan for lunch) it’s always been my go to Breakfast.

i did try some fruit but then stopped. It didn’t cause dumping but it was also too tempting to keep having more ... but for some sugar is an addiction and you don’t want to temp addiction.

I have dumping with a small amount of sugar and I cannot eat any fruit at all without distress. I sometimes will cheat some with dark chocolate almond bark or some sugar free butterscotch candy but only if sweetened by SPLENDA. I agree that etherol is the best SF sweetener.

I have had no issues with sugar. Any issues I've had is from eating too fast or foods too rich ? I can't do thick creamy Soups right now without getting the sweats)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk