Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh... side effects of rapid weight loss

Oh my. So, a few weeks ago I was getting very dizzy some days because I wasn't getting all of my fluids on most days. I knew I was somewhat dehydrated, but no matter what I did I couldn't get in enough fluids. Had an "attempted" medical procedure and convinced them to give me the full liter of fluids. Felt much better. We repeated this 2 weeks later when I had the actual surgery for the same (obgyn) problem. Felt better again. Then sometime a couple weeks ago... I was REALLY dizzy at work. Forced myself to drink even more fluids. The more I drank, the better I felt. Since then, I have been getting at least 60 ounces of Fluid every day which is a vast improvement. Felt MUCH better. Fast forward to yesterday. totally dizzy. But this time I knew it wasn't fluids, it was my blood pressure. It was a different kind of dizzy that I had experienced before. See... I have never had high blood pressure, but I do take a "blood pressure" medication for my tachycardia (fast heart beat). I have taken a low dose beta blocker for years for my fast heart rate. My blood pressure has been a "low normal" for my entire life (however was creeping a little higher int he last year i was obese). After surgery, my blood pressure returned to low normal for me. I don't normally take my blood pressure before I take my medication. Never really had to as it rarely affects my blood pressure. Even when it does, I can FEEL when it does and I know when to monitor my blood pressure. I know my body very well. Well, yesterday it definitely did affect my blood pressure, and boy was I dizzy! This dizziness was way different than my dehydration dizziness and I knew it. I was busy at work, so didn't take my blood pressure until many hours later (when I was no longer dizzy) and it was 90/46, which makes me wonder how low it had been in the AM when I felt like total crap. Needless to say, today I took my blood pressure and skipped my beta blocker. My blood pressure was 94/64. Looks like I will have to suffer from my tachycardia for a bit while my blood pressure stabilizes, but I hate having to do that! I am so much more active when I take it. And no worries... I called my cardiologist and scheduled an appointment - but he can't see me for a few weeks. Doesn't matter... I know what he is going to say anyway! Days when my blood pressure is lower I need to skip my medication. Days when it is borderline I can take a half dose. But I am doing everything else, and there is no other medication he wants to try. Boo! Thankfully, my tachycardia isn't as bad as it could be... my night time heart rate has actually gone down and my day time heart rate isn't as fast as it used to be, but still fast. I think all of this will improve after my body stabilizes from my rapid weight loss. Time for a stall. My body needs it!

Bless you heart hon! Sounds like you have a game plan though!!!! Congrats and keep us updated!!

Your body will know how to take care of itself. Hang in there.

My BP has been 95/55 since i have lost the first 35#. I cut my Meds in half, and have an appointment with my PCP today. He will prob change the script .

Five days without my medication and my blood pressure is still around 96/48! Sometimes it still dips into the 80s/40s. Haven't been dizzy though... so that is good! But my resting heart rate is definitely up. I am currently just sitting in bed and typing this... and my HR is 90. :( Guess I won't be able to hike up any hills anytime soon... because that gets me to the 150's even WITH my medication!

8 hours ago, momof3_angels said:

Five days without my medication and my blood pressure is still around 96/48! Sometimes it still dips into the 80s/40s. Haven't been dizzy though... so that is good! But my resting heart rate is definitely up. I am currently just sitting in bed and typing this... and my HR is 90. :( Guess I won't be able to hike up any hills anytime soon... because that gets me to the 150's even WITH my medication!

Make sure you are getting enough liquids, low BP and high HR are indicative of dehydration. Your heart may be stressing trying to keep your volume/flow rate up.

1 hour ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

Make sure you are getting enough liquids, low BP and high HR are indicative of dehydration. Your heart may be stressing trying to keep your volume/flow rate up.

Yes, I am. I am actually hydrating very well right now. But I have had the tachycardia for years. This is my normal heart rate without the without meds (sometimes even with the meds)... Only difference is my BP is slightly lower, to where I can't take my medication. Anyhow... the tachycardia is why I have a cardiologist for the last 7-8 years in the first place! Anyhow... continuing to hydrate and experimenting with various methods for increasing BP... and this is where I sit. Not at all worried about the BP itself, I feel fine with that (and have dipped this low many times before... and my usual BP isn't much higher)... but when it is this low, I can't take the medication for the heart rate. Very frustrating. I can take my medication as long as my systolic BP is over 100, but less than 100 I can't take it without it dropping my BP lower and then I do become symptomatic. I do have an appointment for the cardiologist, but that won't be until the beginning of March, so in the meantime I can just hold or not hold my medication.

Yes, I am. I am actually hydrating very well right now. But I have had the tachycardia for years. This is my normal heart rate without the without meds (sometimes even with the meds)... Only difference is my BP is slightly lower, to where I can't take my medication. Anyhow... the tachycardia is why I have a cardiologist for the last 7-8 years in the first place! Anyhow... continuing to hydrate and experimenting with various methods for increasing BP... and this is where I sit. Not at all worried about the BP itself, I feel fine with that (and have dipped this low many times before... and my usual BP isn't much higher)... but when it is this low, I can't take the medication for the heart rate. Very frustrating. I can take my medication as long as my systolic BP is over 100, but less than 100 I can't take it without it dropping my BP lower and then I do become symptomatic. I do have an appointment for the cardiologist, but that won't be until the beginning of March, so in the meantime I can just hold or not hold my medication.
Increase salt intake too x

8 hours ago, Bastian said:

Increase salt intake too x

Yep, doing that too! More fluids, more salt, no alcohol (not that I was drinking any anyway), regular exercise to promote blood flow, smaller more frequent meals... etc etc etc