Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 3 1/2 months post RNY gastric bypass and for the last month I’ve been suffering from intense pain in my butt. It’s like the bones themselves ache and every time I sit down I’m in agony.

Oddly enough, it appears I have lost weight disproportionately from my backside, leaving me with very little padding left (and I’m still a big guy at 300 lbs after losing 110 lbs).

My wife ordered me a special pillow for people suffering from coccyx injuries and I can’t wait for it to arrive.

I’ve since read that this can happen, but this was definitely not mentioned in my ‘things to expect post-surgery’ talks with my surgeon. Then again, he didn’t mention the joint pain, haemorrhoids, bleeding gums, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions for relieving the pain and discomfort?

I noticed it within a few weeks when driving for more than an hour it would become quite uncomfortable to sit. I had no ass at all to begin with (I sat it off my mom would always say) However I have no issues with sitting in my chair at work.

When I do get the pain from driving its right at the coccyx (tailbone). I did some searching a few months ago when I noticed it and there have been others mentioning it.

I haven't had the problem in the car, but in some other chairs it's a pain. I had to buy a cushion since my "built-in" one is gone. LOL!

Fully agree - I can not sit for long and especially on a normal chair, I actually have added a few bar stools with backs to my kitchen, and put my desk up to bar hieght - One thing that really has helped is cross fit seems to have made a slight difference in how long i can sit and stay in one position.

Try a bar stool - Padded of course seems to be easier on the Ass =

The bleeding gums can be a sign of Vitamin K deficiency, maybe need a checkup just to be safe.

And yes, my arss is flat and tailbone hurts a lot.

it's a pretty common problem. I have a coccyx pillow in my car and still have to use it after 4.5 years out. I had a second one on my office chair back before I retired, too.

Chiropractor appointment Once a month for the next 6 months helps.. deep relief pain essential oils (yes, down ur buttcrack even!)

I had ass pain from sitting in the early months as well. If you can stand it, do some squats and other butt exercises to put some padding back on. It may take a while, but I think it works. I started doing them semi-regulary starting Feb 2019, and then full-on-regularly since Aug 2019. I no longer have sitting-ass pain (and while my butt still looks pan-cakey, its less so than before, LOL).

P.S. I HATE squats, but I do them anyway.

I bought a cushion for hard chairs and long car rides. But the worst is riding a bike! Even with a good padded seat and padded riding shorts. HOWEVER........... after riding for 5 months now - up to 50 miles, the issue is getting better. It doesn't hurt to sit on hard chairs anymore, so I think scar tissue or calluses start to build up over time. I don't even think about it anymore when sitting on furniture. Time heals all wounds. :)

I also got a new mattress and an adjustable bed frame. I can sleep really well now, especially with sleep apnea gone. At first, it was actually difficult to sit on a toilet as my coccyx hit the back of the seat. Ouch!. Amazing how these new bones just keep poking out in the strangest places!

On 1/14/2020 at 11:52 PM, Sosewsue61 said:

The bleeding gums can be a sign of Vitamin K deficiency, maybe need a checkup just to be safe.

And yes, my arss is flat and tailbone hurts a lot.

Fortunately the bleeding gums started and stopped within two weeks from 4-6 weeks post-surgery. The Multivitamins were making me sick every day and it was likely a combination of Vitamin deficiency and all the acid from vomiting.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:46 AM, AZhiker said:

I bought a cushion for hard chairs and long car rides. But the worst is riding a bike! Even with a good padded seat and padded riding shorts. HOWEVER........... after riding for 5 months now - up to 50 miles, the issue is getting better. It doesn't hurt to sit on hard chairs anymore, so I think scar tissue or calluses start to build up over time. I don't even think about it anymore when sitting on furniture. Time heals all wounds. :)

The thought of sitting on a bicycle seat, even a recumbent exercise bike, is almost too much to bear.
Great to hear that there has been improvement over time though.

21 hours ago, AZhiker said:

I also got a new mattress and an adjustable bed frame. I can sleep really well now, especially with sleep apnea gone. At first, it was actually difficult to sit on a toilet as my coccyx hit the back of the seat. Ouch!. Amazing how these new bones just keep poking out in the strangest places!

Who knew that the base of the sternum could be so bony of that hips are hard 🤷‍♂️