Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 plus years post op and weight gain

I am about 9 years post-op, I did very well up until my 40th birthday. then things went for the worst! slowly but surely gained 20 pounds each year! Not to mention having really really bad reflux. I cannot eat anything spicy, drink late at night even brush my teeth without having reflux. I went to my bariatric doctor and I feel like he just gets angry and scolds me for not logging food. He said I have some leaking but it is my weight gain that causes my reflux and tells me I cannot have a revision because he is sure it my food choices that have caused my weight gain and reflux. I make some bad choices but nothing nearly what I was before my procedure. I almost never drink soda, I don't eat corn, rice, or Pasta like at all it makes me sick and pukes it up asap! my sugar intake is low although my weakness gets me most times. I know I could do better with Water intake as well. I seem to feel hungry all the time. I know I can eat so much more than I did before. I could eat a whole hot dog in a sitting where before I could only eat half. I feel i am back where I was before a procedure where it seems even a slice a bread causes me 2 pounds!

I really feel I need a revision or go RNY but I am so scared to even ask my doctor as I am scared of him judging me and denying me making it seem I am neglegent of my choices all because I don't log my food on a daily!

any recommendations?

Is there any reason you don't log your food? I use the MyFitnessPal free app online and have logged in everything I eat on there for several years. It really helps keep me accountable in terms of portion sizes, calories, and macros of what I'm eating.

I can certainly relate to a slice of bread making you gain 2 pounds! I can eat a cracker and gain 2 lbs. I have to completely stay away from carbs or I gain weight.

Can you *try* to follow your Surgeon's recommendations for a bit to see if there is any improvement?

If your Surgeon knows you are putting a lot of effort in but still there is no progress, they may move forward with more rigorous testing to see what is causing the problems.

You could also get a second opinion ❤

Good Luck 💚

I have been logging in myfitnesspal on and off. I get super busy at work and some item requires measurements where I just don't have the time to be measuring the food individually when I am cooking for my family I just don't have the exact counts when I cook by memory. I mostly wing it on some items. I have been using the scanner on some items. as well. It is super hard finding items to have for myself and also cook for a family who does not share the same diet as I do. It can get so pricey cooking for myself and then cooking a separate dinner just for them. I really work hard not having bread at all. finding store-bought items in low or no-carb are also so very expensive. I feel like I stress more about eating the correct things more than life issues.

I'm almost 2 years out of surgery. I eat what my family eats only smaller portions and try to keep the carbs low, so if we have a Pasta night, I do a 1/4 cup and the rest will be salad, dressings I use and i dip my fork into it then grab lettuce. as for logging we cant always measure but a guesstimate is better then not logging at all, hhen i guesstimate I go higher calories then lower. For work I also keep low calorie Protein Bars on hand. As for bread I found a multigrain bread that's only 40 calories per slice, so if I have a sandwich I do open face and load up on veggies.

Also what surgery did you have @chequitaluv? Your profile says lap-band.

Good luck 😀

@nenes78 I have sleeve sorry it has been a while changed the profile a bit.

did you have the band and then the sleeve?

I'm in agreement, log your food in the my fitness app.... I eyeball it now because i can pretty much guess the correct amount. I found that logging in held me accountable and showed me how much i was REALLYYYYY eating.

I also noticed you said a few things... ... I almost never... those are not good. You have answered so many of your own questions..... You still drink soda, you still eat way too much sugar, you are still eating carbs. You are not drinking enough water..... How's your exercise????? Turn those things around and i bet you see a difference.

If you are gaining with the sleeve, chances are you will gain with any WLS.

57 minutes ago, nenes78 said:

I'm almost 2 years out of surgery. I eat what my family eats only smaller portions and try to keep the carbs low, so if we have a Pasta night, I do a 1/4 cup and the rest will be salad, dressings I use and i dip my fork into it then grab lettuce. as for logging we cant always measure but a guesstimate is better then not logging at all, hhen i guesstimate I go higher calories then lower. For work I also keep low calorie Protein Bars on hand. As for bread I found a multigrain bread that's only 40 calories per slice, so if I have a sandwich I do open face and load up on veggies.

Also what surgery did you have @chequitaluv? Your profile says lap-band.

Good luck 😀

Perfect suggestions.... I try and keep my portions to 1/8 & 1/8 & 1/8.... I don't eat the Protein Bar as the ones i like are high in sugar. I have one slice of bread and divide it. 1/2 for Saturday and 1/2 for Sunday..... Daves Powerseed.... i toast it very dry.

I agree.... logging in a guess is better than not at all..... I never logged when i had the band... Then i started gaining after she slipped back 3-2017. Gained 30lbs back... i started logging and realized how much i was really eating....

Sleeved 8/28/19..... lost those 30 + 8.5 more.

Had to remind myself when i had NO WLS.... just because i could eat it... didn't mean i should.

Does your work have an EAP program where you could get some therapy? You need to completely drop all sugar, up your Water intake. There is no reason to cook separate meals - do they not eat grilled chicken, grilled burgers, grilled chops? All you need to add for you is veg or salad, make them some parm noodles and the veg. Boil some eggs for work, preportioned tuna in a can, etc. If you worked the program before you know how to work it again. No eating after 7pm should help bedtime reflux. Ditch caffeine. Do you take a PPI at all?

For reflux your GP can order an endoscopic exam to see if there is acid damage.

3 hours ago, nenes78 said:

I use and i dip my fork into it then grab lettuce.

I eat salad the same way, I eat way less dressing that way with no lost of taste!

My recommendation would be to track your food. See where you are REALLY at. You may not think you are eating that bad, but when you add everything all up you may be surprised at how much you are eating. Once you have logged a couple weeks, I would review it and then look at your original nutrition plan and get back to basics. If you don't know the details of your original nutrition plan, then ask to see a nutritionist so they can help you. Then stick to the diet! Give yourself 2-3 months on the nutrition plan, log everything... every day. If you still aren't back on track with your weight loss.. then go back to your surgeon and bring a copy of your log. Then, he may reconsider.

I am about 9 years post-op, I did very well up until my 40th birthday. then things went for the worst! slowly but surely gained 20 pounds each year! Not to mention having really really bad reflux. I cannot eat anything spicy, drink late at night even brush my teeth without having reflux. I went to my bariatric doctor and I feel like he just gets angry and scolds me for not logging food. He said I have some leaking but it is my weight gain that causes my reflux and tells me I cannot have a revision because he is sure it my food choices that have caused my weight gain and reflux. I make some bad choices but nothing nearly what I was before my procedure. I almost never drink soda, I don't eat corn, rice, or Pasta like at all it makes me sick and pukes it up asap! my sugar intake is low although my weakness gets me most times. I know I could do better with Water intake as well. I seem to feel hungry all the time. I know I can eat so much more than I did before. I could eat a whole hot dog in a sitting where before I could only eat half. I feel i am back where I was before a procedure where it seems even a slice a bread causes me 2 pounds!
I really feel I need a revision or go RNY but I am so scared to even ask my doctor as I am scared of him judging me and denying me making it seem I am neglegent of my choices all because I don't log my food on a daily!
any recommendations?

Change doctors. I have GERD. I just took that nasty milkshake test. I threw it up all over the tech and machine. My
sleeve was done 5 years ago. The docs love it. I still need to lose weight. Down still from highest weight by 60 pounds.

I had surgery in Dec to help with the reflux and repair a hernia. I guess it did work.

Because, I have been in the hospital since last Friday. The only thing I can hold down is one taco and something liquid. I am in sever pain when off meds.

I don't regret my sleeve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app