Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was approved for surgery. Good vitamins and protein shakes?

Hello everyone!

I'm pretty excited. Literally took my insurance one day to approve my surgery. I am so nervous and excited at the same time. My surgery is scheduled for 3/13/2020 and I plan taking the week off after. I start the 10 day pre-op diet on 3/2.

I worry though as I'm trying to find Protein Shakes I can drink. I'm use to Premier Protein as my mom had the surgery and they actually taste pretty good but I'm afraid my stomach is having some issues with them.

The nutritionist I spoke to said to try a plant based Protein Shake, called Evolve. I did and.... wish I didn't. Lol.

Also, anyone recommend any good Vitamins? I see the sale on the website for the one a day for $99 the year. Anyone use these or tried any of the Protein juices from the site?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

I used premier after my sleeve surgery but find my stomach won’t tolerate them after my recent revision to bypass. I highly recommend trying these samples.< br /> https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/syntrax-nectar-protein-powder-trial-sizes-17-flavors-to-choose-from?vec=eyJ2ZVRwIjoiRk9SVU0iLCJ2clRwIjoiTU9TVF9QT1BVTEFSIiwidnJJcCI6IjEifQ%3D%3D

my favorite is the chocolate truffle and I tolerate them very well. I would be Leary of a one per day Vitamin. Iron and Calcium will counteract each other in certain doses. Also check with your team as they may require you to start on chewables. I take the Bariatric Fusion. Bottle says take 4 per day but my dr assures me that if I take two twice per day I will get the same results.
I like that I don’t need any extra d3, iron or calcium with these.

good luck!

Edited by Losingit2018

First off, congratulations!

My clinic gave me a list of approved Vitamins (and Protein supplements). I'm currently taking the one a day ProCare Multivitamin with Iron in it because I was having trouble with my Celebrate chewable Multivitamins. They made me nauseous to the point of nearly becoming non-compliant. opurity and Bariatric Advantage vitamins were also recommended. I'm currently taking Celebrate calcium citrate chews and they're pretty good. Getting bored with the fruit mix I got, but I have a bag of caramel ones I'll use next.

I would mostly focus on samples of powders right now. Not a giant amount, though. I second Syntrax. I prefer the Sweets line (the traditional chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry (plus Cookies and cream)). A lot of people like or can only tolerate the nectar line (which are more fruit juice type). You could also get a sampler at Unjury for $30. It includes two packets of all of their flavors, a thermometer, two premade shakes, and a shaker bottle. Most of my shakes since surgery have been Unjury Chocolate Classic in unsweetened almond milk or Kroger Carbmaster skim milk. (Oh, and while it's not listed, Unjury will also include Opurity Vitamin samples in their sampler pack.) Both Unjury and Syntrax are lactose free.

In terms of RTD/premade shakes, I like Premier, GNC Total Lean, and Fairlife Core the most. GNC and Fairlife are often sold individually. Fairlife milk (and the shakes) are also lactose free if you find you are or become lactose intolerant.

If you find you can't tolerate milky shakes, protein Water is a thing. Protein 2O and Premier Protein water are popular. Or you could use unflavored protein in Crystal Light. I use Unjury's unflavored protein and add it to Soups and broths for added protein.

1 hour ago, RachaelEM said:

Hello everyone!

I'm pretty excited. Literally took my insurance one day to approve my surgery. I am so nervous and excited at the same time. My surgery is scheduled for 3/13/2020 and I plan taking the week off after. I start the 10 day pre-op diet on 3/2.

I worry though as I'm trying to find Protein Shakes I can drink. I'm use to Premier Protein as my mom had the surgery and they actually taste pretty good but I'm afraid my stomach is having some issues with them.

The nutritionist I spoke to said to try a plant based Protein Shake, called Evolve. I did and.... wish I didn't. Lol.

Also, anyone recommend any good Vitamins? I see the sale on the website for the one a day for $99 the year. Anyone use these or tried any of the Protein juices from the site?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

I use the Bariatric Pal Vitamins. I like them because it is only 1 capsule per day. I also take a B-12 in the morning. In the evening, I take my calcium citrate capsule (found these at Sprouts) and Vitamin D3. That's it.

I used Premier Protein shakes prior to surgery and they were fine. Then after surgery, they were too sweet. Then a while later they were fine. Then I went to a plant based shake called Orgain which is available at costco.

Before the surgery I loved the Protein Water in all flavors. After the surgery I couldn’t tolerate them. I like the muscle milk, chocolate and vanilla, I like making coffee and mixing it the night before, refrigerate over night, and cold chocolate coffee for Breakfast is the best! Bulletproof unflavored Protein Powder is good too. I’m about to switch to plant based protein powder and hoping to find one I like too.

I have used Bariatric Advantage chewy bites for the last nine months or so:

https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/multivitamins/products/bariatric-advantage-multivitamin-chewy-bites-available-in-4-flavors

I have only tried strawberry/watermelon and really like them.

I had originally used tablets but couldn't take them after surgery. They had to be ground to a powder, and taking them that way was completely disgusting no matter how I tried to disguise the taste. I then tried to chewable tablets and found them disgusting as well (particularly the smell). The chewy bites have worked well for me. (I also take the Calcium chewy bites.)

As for Protein Shakes, I'm also a big fan of Premier Protein, especially the caramel flavor. I love to put it in coffee, but I also drink it straight. I did not find it too sweet after surgery.

If you have the time I have not found any pre made shakes that i think are great - You do not have to buy the pre made you can make your own - powders of Protein and Vitamin powders and almond milk or other high end healthy milks - Fruits and a nutra bullet- I find the different milks from whole foods or sprouts to be a much better shake

But it takes time and energy Advantage is you can pump them up big time with as much protein and Vitamins and fruit as you want -

For this whole year post-surgery I've been using premade chocolate GNC Lean shakes. I don't like using the powders, I prefer the premade. I also use GNC Vitamins, soft-chews and they've not made me nauseous or anything because before surgery whenever I'd take regular vitamins, they'd make me sick to my stomach. These don't.

Hello everyone!
Any advice is appreciated. [emoji4]

I did the Vega all in one Organic pre op and it was great for me...after I switched to Isopure clear and also wrking great for me....surgery on 12-13-19 I went from 240lbs before my pre op began then on my surgery date I was 228lbs now I'm at 212lbs moving a little slower than I wish but I feel great.....GOOD LUCK!!!20191223_233138.jpeg 20200112_094329.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Great info! I have an a lot of people that felt that their taste changed after bariatric surgery. I know one who really could not stand the taste of Water enhancers afterwards. Of course people have such a variety of preferences, but it is nice to get some consensus (saves time and money!).

Hi, after surgery I wasn’t able to tolerate the Premier Protien skakes so I switched to Muscle Milk 32 gram Protein non-dairy shakes. Very tasty. I also set auto delivery up on Amazon Prime which saves me a few dollars. In my area the shakes can be found at all grocery stores and big chains like Target with the best price being costco. For Vitamins I like Bariatric fusion and it is actually what my NUT recommends. Again, I have it on auto delivery. I’m four months post-op and I take two vitamins twice a day for a total of four.

On 1/12/2020 at 5:23 AM, Mamsy said:

I buy on Amazon, better prices

Me, too - I have Amazon deliver my " Purely Inspired Organic Protein" shakes once a month via subscription - way cheaper than the local store prices. I like them - they are plant-based, 120 calories, low carb, and 20 grams of Protein. Considering that I use one a day in my morning green smoothie (no fruit) it would get expensive if I had to pay more.

I also get "Pure Protein" ones that have 30 grams of protein - like the chocolate flavor and use it in my morning coffee but the local store prices are good so I buy them there. I take the BariMelts Vitamins also delivered by Amazon on a schedule. Good luck!