Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are my fellow December surgeries doing?

How are my fellow December surgeries doing? When was your surgery, and how much have you lost so far?

Mine was 12/30 and I have lost a little over 10lbs since surgery day!

Hi Lys!

My surgery was 12/31 and I'm at about the same 10 lbs. Overall I'm doing well though. I am getting my Water in every day. I have missed my Protein all but a couple days, but I've been pretty close. I still get tired mid-day and I'm not back to work yet but overall pretty happy with my progress.

I'm around 10 lbs too! Mine was 12/31. Today was rough- the first day I got nauseous since the first couple days. I'm having trouble with my Vitamin intake- the Celebrate shake. Are y'all on the full liquid phase? or moved on to pureed?

On 01/11/2020 at 19:32, loridee11 said:

Hi Lys!

My surgery was 12/31 and I'm at about the same 10 lbs. Overall I'm doing well though. I am getting my Water in every day. I have missed my Protein all but a couple days, but I've been pretty close. I still get tired mid-day and I'm not back to work yet but overall pretty happy with my progress.

I’m pretty happy with my progress as well! Go you! Water has been no issue with me, but I’m a struggle bus for Protein since I’m super sick of the Protein Shakes.

On 01/11/2020 at 20:17, WassabiMom said:

I'm around 10 lbs too! Mine was 12/31. Today was rough- the first day I got nauseous since the first couple days. I'm having trouble with my Vitamin intake- the Celebrate shake. Are y'all on the full liquid phase? or moved on to pureed?

Starting Monday I can have tuna!!!! My diet has been super strict, I just got out of the liquid phase, thank god. I have the chewable vitamins, and so far so good. The shakes are slowly killing me though, haha. I really struggle with the protein! I think it’s going to be a constant struggle with me.

12/11 and down 30 pounds in one month. I lost 16 pounds my first week (or ten days, rather). Currently averaging 3-4 pounds a week.

I'm fantastic on Fluid intake and usually pretty good on Protein and Vitamins. Some days, for instance, I only get 56 g of protein or take two of the three calcium chews I have to take. But I often hit my targets. I reintroduced walking at day six but have been building up. Right now I average 20 minutes a day but want to increase it to 30.

I only have two issues. First, I have no energy. Some days it's so bad that going number one takes me out. The second is Constipation. I take stool softeners every day and add fiber however I can. The first week after surgery I could pass no problem, but now it feels like I'm trying to birth Mount Everest from my butt twice a week. (And you know what? In a way I am. I keep wanting to call them elephant spoors.) I have my 30 day appointment on Tuesday so I'm sure to ask what else I can do to become regular.

I had my RNY on 12/12, so I'm almost exactly 30 days out. I'm down 24 lbs. since then. I have had it easier than a lot of people -- great energy; no problem drinking fluids (it's just like it was before surgery); no digestive issues that I didn't already have earlier. It's great! With my doctor's and dietician's consent I was able to move to "soft" foods after only 18 days, I was doing so well, and currently am able to eat everything (as long as I chew it very well) except steak and firm vegetables. My portions are still well-controlled, though. I was even able to resume caffeine with no side-effects. The doctor said I am one of the lucky ones!

My surgery was 12/18, and I'm down 17lbs (29lbs since 12/4 when I started pre-op diet). My nutritionist says not to worry so much about Protein until I'm on solid foods. Try my best, but for now just focus on measuring my soft foods, and letting my body heal. I'm tracking anyway just do get used to it, and am averaging 400 cals per day.

I've eated out a few times, and get a kick out of the fact that I can get 6 meals out of 1 restaurant meal, and that's just eating the protein and tossing the rest! Last night I got ahi tuna tacos. 3 tacos each had 2 slices of tuna. One slice of tuna filled me up, so I still have 5 meals to go! I tossed the tortillas and gave the fries to my kids!

On 01/11/2020 at 23:08, cajunredpanda said:

12/11 and down 30 pounds in one month. I lost 16 pounds my first week (or ten days, rather). Currently averaging 3-4 pounds a week.

I'm fantastic on Fluid intake and usually pretty good on Protein and Vitamins. Some days, for instance, I only get 56 g of Protein or take two of the three calcium chews I have to take. But I often hit my targets. I reintroduced walking at day six but have been building up. Right now I average 20 minutes a day but want to increase it to 30.

I only have two issues. First, I have no energy. Some days it's so bad that going number one takes me out. The second is constipation. I take stool softeners every day and add Fiber however I can. The first week after surgery I could pass no problem, but now it feels like I'm trying to birth Mount Everest from my butt twice a week. (And you know what? In a way I am. I keep wanting to call them elephant spoors.) I have my 30 day appointment on Tuesday so I'm sure to ask what else I can do to become regular.

I’m having a minor issue with Constipation as well. I just hope it won’t come to me having to take another daily medicine to fix it. Please let me know how it pans out for you at your appointment! Congrats on your loss!

On 01/12/2020 at 02:37, AlexInMerion said:

I had my RNY on 12/12, so I'm almost exactly 30 days out. I'm down 24 lbs. since then. I have had it easier than a lot of people -- great energy; no problem drinking fluids (it's just like it was before surgery); no digestive issues that I didn't already have earlier. It's great! With my doctor's and dietician's consent I was able to move to "soft" foods after only 18 days, I was doing so well, and currently am able to eat everything (as long as I chew it very well) except steak and firm vegetables. My portions are still well-controlled, though. I was even able to resume caffeine with no side-effects. The doctor said I am one of the lucky ones!

I feel like I am one of the lucky ones as well! I have had no food problems yet. I am still on a strict diet, but I don’t forsee any dumping problems in my future which I am very grateful for!!! Congrats on your progress!!!! So exciting to see everyone’s accomplishments!

On 01/12/2020 at 08:20, ChubRub said:

My surgery was 12/18, and I'm down 17lbs (29lbs since 12/4 when I started pre-op diet). My nutritionist says not to worry so much about Protein until I'm on solid foods. Try my best, but for now just focus on measuring my soft foods, and letting my body heal. I'm tracking anyway just do get used to it, and am averaging 400 cals per day.

I've eated out a few times, and get a kick out of the fact that I can get 6 meals out of 1 restaurant meal, and that's just eating the Protein and tossing the rest! Last night I got ahi tuna tacos. 3 tacos each had 2 slices of tuna. One slice of tuna filled me up, so I still have 5 meals to go! I tossed the tortillas and gave the fries to my kids!

Yes!!! I feel like we have some serious money saving in our future! I’m excited to be able to eat out again. I don’t foresee that happening until I’m at least 1 month post op though. Congrats on your loss!!!

Idk if I’m allowed to say “slow” but it’s going that way hahaha
I feel great other wise. I tried to eat all of my tuna yesterday and found out what happens if you push that one more bite 🤦🏼‍♀️😬... it’s not HORRIBLE buuuuuuut I don’t want to do that again anytime soon hahaha
Glad everyone is doing so well!

11 hours ago, ChubRub said:

I've eated out a few times, and get a kick out of the fact that I can get 6 meals out of 1 restaurant meal, and that's just eating the Protein and tossing the rest! Last night I got ahi tuna tacos. 3 tacos each had 2 slices of tuna. One slice of tuna filled me up, so I still have 5 meals to go! I tossed the tortillas and gave the fries to my kids!

It is a very new phenomenon where I don't clean my plate every time. Not gonna lie, while it can be annoying if I don't get as much protein as I like, I kinda like it. I've had half a salad plate left the last few times I can eat. I made shrimp (and green beans) the other day and it was great that I could have two meals with my portion to make my purchase "stretch."

9 hours ago, lys said:

Yes!!! I feel like we have some serious money saving in our future! I’m excited to be able to eat out again. I don’t foresee that happening until I’m at least 1 month post op though. Congrats on your loss!!!

Not gonna lie, it felt a little more "normal" being able to eat out. I don't try to make it a habit (I already feel like I'm going it too much after doing it three times in a month). It's still nice to be able to order eggs a la carte, for instance. I can't wait until I'm cleared for protein bars and beef Jerky in March. I have Protein Powder packed in my purse but it feels so awkward mixing and drinking one while everyone else eats "regular" food. I'm also scared of cheese sticks being room temperature for some reason. When I do "pack" them I eat them immediately.

9 hours ago, mzmaderia said:

I was sleeved 12/17 I've lost 24 lbs. Since surgery day and a total of 35 lbs overall.
So far so good I guess, still on full liquids till the 28th of December. (I'm so over Soups, broth, Jello, puddings and tea) i gag just looking at them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Do you mean January 28? December 28 has come and gone. Rough either way. I was over broth by day seven. The first time I cried after surgery wasn't over incision pain but because I couldn't bring myself to drink broth anymore. I still drink shakes and introduced peppermint tea back into my diet. But I'm not drinking broth unless I absolutely have to (or if I make something with it).

Your weight loss is fantastic!

Today is day 15 for me. I'm struggling with my energy level and I also feel like I either pulled a muscle in my ab or I have an incisional hernia. I get major pain when I engage that muscle. I'm praying it's just a strain.

I'm on soft solids and doing well. Trying to get in my Protein. To date I've lost 24 lbs but the scale hasn't moved in a few days. Hoping it's the three week stall everyone talks about.