Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I went to the nutritionist, and had my surgical consult yesterday. Today I went for my psych evaluation. Everything will now be sent to insurance for approval. The insurance coordinator at the surgeon's office told me yesterday she expects me to be approved, so I am looking at February surgery dates if all goes as it is suppose to. I am getting very nervous. Things have gone very quickly as my insurance company does not require a whole lot. I am about 80 lbs overweight. I have struggled all of my life with weight since I was a child, but kept things under control with diet and exercise until I hit menopause. I know I don't have as much to lose as a lot of people, but I can tell you the extra weight has really changed the way I feel, and the way I get around and do things. I know I can't lose the weight and look like I am 20, 30, or 40 again, but I look forward to being more active. I would be lying if I didn't say that being 60 and having this surgery scares me. Anyone that has had surgery at my age, I would love to hear from you!

I am 57 and had sleeve last year. Revision to bypass this year. Plenty of people here your age and much older that have done well.

Good luck!

That makes me feel better! I guess there are thoughts in some people that would feel why bother at that age? My mind is only 40 though 😉.

I feel regardless of how long I have I would rather be as healthy as I can be, but I do worry that the risk involved may be higher.

Edited by Tiredmimi

I had my surgery in July 2019 - I was 67. (68 now) You're never too old to get healthier! Don't let worries about your age be your barrier!

Good Luck!!

I turned 60 two months after having surgery. Six months before surgery, my primary care physician told me I was looking at a major cardiac event within the next ten years that I might not survive. That was the turning point that made me decide to have the surgery

It was one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I feel wonderful. My doctor says I've probably added 10-15 years to my life expectancy. I just wish I had done it 30 years earlier!

I was 63. Best decision I ever made. I have been given my life back! I was so heavy that I was becoming very limited in my mobility. I had to sit at work while charting, I couldn't get up off the floor, I had to stop at least 10 times just to get up our driveway (granted it is 1/4 mile on hill), my back and knees hurt ALL the time. I already had 1 knee replaced and the other was becoming unbearable.

Now, after surgery, I am training for my 2nd triathlon, have completed a 50 mile bike race, and am working toward a rim-to-rim (in one day) Grand Canyon hike later this year. My driveway is nothing now - I buzz up it without breaking a sweat. I can get on and off the floor very easily, I climb at least 30 flights of stairs a day, I stand all day at work instead of sitting, my sleep apnea is gone, my BP is normal, my resting pulse is in the mid 40's, my HDL, LDL, and triglycerides are phenomenal, and........... my back and knees don't hurt!!!!!! I have been given a new lease on life and I intend to live it as fully as possible, even with a late start!

I am 65. I got a lap band at 55 but it recently slipped and caused me to develop a hiatal hernia. So I got it removed, the hernia fixed and a revision to a gastric bypass all in one surgery. Recovery was a bit harder than the lap band but I don't think it was that I'm 10 years older as much was how much more involved a bypass is than a lap band.

You are never too told to try to improve your health, and the benefits far outweigh the risks, so go for it! And we are all here to help you get through it.

Edited by JRT Mom

61, and every day I lose roughly a pound and a month. By spring I will be 30 again :)

I am not quiet 60 I will be 55 in April. I had no lingering issues with surgery and I am happy with my weight loss and all the physical improvements to my body. It is attainable even at an older age! I look forward to getting to know you!