Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Completed Medicare Criteria, Next up - Surgery

I have feeling of accomplishment and relief. I completed the Medicare criteria for my revision surgery this week. It has been a journey, stressful at times. In 2005, when I was preparing for my Lap Band surgery, I worked through all the pre- op requirements at the Bariatric Dept. Back then it was my PCP who gave me the biggest grief, as he was not a proponent of weight loss surgery of any kind. This time it was much different. The psychiatric evaluation and initial nutritional assessment I had done at the surgeon's hospital. But, since I live about 2 hours including a ferry ride from the hospital, I decided to do the Medically Managed Weight Loss Program with my local PCP. In hindsight, I think I should have done it with the nutritionist at the surgeon's hospital. My PCP and his PA have been wonderful, but they have limited understanding of bariatric surgery and Medicare requirements. In the end, I think we helped each other through the process, but it took a lot of explaining and back-tracking each visit. The good news is they are both very supportive. Looking forward my revision on February 27.

That's great. I had Medicare for my sleeve surgery a year ago and had no trouble with approval. Good luck with your revision surgery.

Thank you, that is good to hear. I'm always a little uncertain working with insurance and Medicare.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Today was rough...
      I've been experiencing a headache all day today that just won't go away. I'm thinking it's now progressing into a migraine. Does anyone else get headaches from taking vitamin B12? I did some research and learned that usually a lack of B12 causes headaches. But I've noticed when I take it, I have reoccurring headaches. 😫
      · 0 replies
    • sammijaee

I can’t figure out how to update my surgery stats but 
      start 259
      sw 245
      cw 237
      gw 175
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products