Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm still trying to see what I need to do because when I opened my eyes after surgery I was hungry. I still have not found out if it is normal. I thought I was going to be losing the appetite for the food but mine is still there. It's depressing.

I dont think everyone loses that appetite and some who lose it get it back after awhile. I had bypass last Sept. I also felt hunger but when I spoke about it with close friends and family who had the surgery before me, they told me it was just "head hunger". I was given the advice to drink Water when I felt this head hunger. It was hard for first couple of weeks and after that, I didnt feel head hunger anymore.

I was hungry after my sleeve back in start of 2018. It was real hunger and I am sure of it.

just got revised to bypass 6 weeks ago. Thankfully this time around I am not hungry anymore.

head hunger can be hard to deal with though. My dr told me that if it is real hunger you are hungry for anything. If you get hungry for something specific, it is most likely head hunger.

hang in there. It does get better.

I'm almost never hungry, even a year out from sleeve surgery, but I still have "head hunger" and triggers sometimes.

On 01/08/2020 at 20:19, Losingit2018 said:

I was hungry after my sleeve back in start of 2018. It was real hunger and I am sure of it.

just got revised to bypass 6 weeks ago. Thankfully this time around I am not hungry anymore.

head hunger can be hard to deal with though. My dr told me that if it is real hunger you are hungry for anything. If you get hungry for something specific, it is most likely head hunger.

hang in there. It does get better.

Thank you for sharing. I’m 5 weeks out from GS and feel like I’m starving on some days. It’s been difficult for me to tell the difference between head hunger and true hunger. I’m also fatigued easily and struggling with depression (which really caught me off guard as I was doing good with Prozac).

16 minutes ago, Silvernova said:

Thank you for sharing. I’m 5 weeks out from GS and feel like I’m starving on some days. It’s been difficult for me to tell the difference between head hunger and true hunger. I’m also fatigued easily and struggling with depression (which really caught me off guard as I was doing good with Prozac).

I totally understand the depression. That will ease up some soon hopefully. Hormones are on a rampage right now.

this is what has helped me to decipher real from head hunger. If you have real hunger you will eat anything. With head hunger you only want certain foods. When you feel hungry think hard about that. Drinking a lot of Fluid when I feel hungry helps too. Once you get used to eating just a few times per day In smaller amounts it will become habit and much less of a struggle for you.

Edited by Losingit2018

Thank you for this information on true and head hunger but you know I am hungry for everything. I ate the way I was told and as much but it is as of now I can eat more and it's been only three months. I'm not eating much but not because the surgery is stopping me but I just stop because of how much it says I'm suppose to eat. When I go back for my six month weigh in I will speak with the doctor or do you think I can call her before then.

21 hours ago, Bettye B said:

Thank you for this information on true and head hunger but you know I am hungry for everything. I ate the way I was told and as much but it is as of now I can eat more and it's been only three months. I'm not eating much but not because the surgery is stopping me but I just stop because of how much it says I'm suppose to eat. When I go back for my six month weigh in I will speak with the doctor or do you think I can call her before then.

Bettye, I am also three months from surgery on 2/19 and I am hungry ALL the time and have been since the day of the surgery. I saw my dr last week and he said it just must be that I am not getting enough Protein. I have tried since then eating Clif Builder Protein Bars (20mg protein in one) and I do feel more full after I eat one of those but then I get hungry like an hour to an hour and a half after. It’s definitely not head hunger because my stomach growls super loud. My son says “Mom you need to eat, I can hear your stomach across the room!” I feel a gnawing intense hunger feeling almost all of the time unless I am eating or for about 15 minutes after I eat something.
The dr also said to eat more frequent smaller meals. I was losing about 5# a week until last week. I’ve stayed at the same weight since then. It’s so disheartening, I fee like I am being driven crazy with this hungry feeling and I never felt hunger very much before surgery. I would always skip Breakfast and sometimes lunch. I wish I knew what is going on. I have been researching this and think I’m going to order Spirulina to take. There is a high protein plant-based one on Amazon.< br /> Let me know if y’all get any help or info about this.

Mary
HW 352
SW 278
CW 238
GW 140

Ii Thank you for this information on true and head hunger but you know I am hungry for everything. I ate the way I was told and as much but it is as of now I can eat more and it's been only three months. I'm not eating much but not because the surgery is stopping me but I just stop because of how much it says I'm suppose to eat. When I go back for my six month weigh in I will speak with the doctor or do you think I can call her before then.

I know what you mean and how you feel about the growling stomach because mine is very loud also. Yes all I have to do is see food and it is just as bad as if I hadn't had the surgery. I thought this would be good for me for it to take my appetite but it left me with one. I'm thinking I probably should have gotten the sleeve instead and really if I don't stop on my own I feel in my pouch I could eat more. Let me know if you get your answer. I'm just glad I am not the only one.