Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So is coffee a real no-no?

I have recently started drinking coffee in the mornings. Prior to two weeks ago I hadn’t had any since July (3 months pre op).

Someone convince me that I must stop this!

Sigh...

According to my surgical team it’s fine post op. I just have to drink it black during the clear liquid phase.

I was told no in the beginning (3 months) due to acidic effect on healing stomach, plus it is a diuretic. Can't imagine how this long out it should bother you. Just get your regular fluids in, as coffee is a net negative liquid.

Since I am at least a pot & a half a day drinker of coffee, and a 5 year vet, I have some experience.

When talking coffee, we all say coffee but we don't all mean the same thing. Coffee to me is regular coffee with cream. My uncle says coffee and it means black. My coworker says coffee and it is this whipped cream covered sundae in a huge cup with enough sugar to kill a diabetic.

The first thing to debunk is that coffee is diuretic. Caffeine is diuretic yes, but the amount of liquid present in a cup of coffee is more than enough to offset that. It will not dehydrate you.

When coffee is said to be acidic, that is actually in reference to the flavor; not the pH level. Our own saliva is more acidic than coffee and our stomach is far more acidic than that.

https://espressocoffeeguide.com/low-acid-coffee/

The only things to truly be cognizant of is that caffeine, regardless of its source, attaches to the same receptors that Vitamin D and Calcium bond to. So if you take supplements for those, don't take them with coffee. The other thing is that coffee can stimulate the bowels. Some people have always been like this, a good strong cup can send me to the bathroom relatively quick. That was before surgery and still happens today. Some people never had that issue before and now they do. It's not uncommon.

My dr only asked that I wait 6 weeks to drink caffeinated coffee.

Edited by Losingit2018

I was allowed coffee as soon as I passed the leak test 🤷‍♀️ I haven’t had any issues so far. I mix half a Protein Drink in it though ... idk if that makes a difference

coffee has not bothered me i did not drink for the first few day after that i drink it every day not as much as i did before surgery

I started coffee about 4 weeks out butt mine is just regular coffee from supermarket nothing fancy and no sugar and very little milk if I need sugar I use Stevia drops.. no issues here

Oh, here we go again. It never fails to amaze me that we all had bariatric surgery from different doctors, and their post op rules are vastly different from practice to practice. I've said all along that they should have a conference, and print a book with the rules that MOST of us should follow!

My doc allows caffeine as long as it's not excessive. I went Decaf on my own for the first three weeks, but was sooooo happy to switch to regular. Decaf tastes like a$$ to me.

I'm a week out and had my first cup of Decaf today with a healthy dose of a Protein Shake as Creamer. Planning to stick to decaf forever.

Okay, it sounds like my one cup a day should not harm me.

I drink it with a little bit on milk and stevia so I’m not getting calories really.

I was more interested in the gastritis or ulcer issues.

I am going to ask at my next appointment to find out the rationale.

Thanks again for all the responses!!

I have been “allowed” to drink Decaf coffee two weeks before and the day after surgery. I only drink 1or2 cups a day, black w/Splenda.

I waited 5 months...now I drink about 4 cups a day with a little almond creamer. It hasn't done any harm.

Bypass 7/2018
I drink approx 4 cups per day with a splash of sugar free creamer

My surgeon doesn't have any restrictions on coffee. I drink it (decaf) occasionally.