Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, bethow said:

I live 3 hours from my surgeon and the hospital too. I went up the day before my surgery and spent the night at a hotel and am glad I did as I had to be at the hospital at 5 am (I am not a morning person).
I decided not to chance the long drive home so I spent the night after I was discharged at the hotel too.
But from your picture you are much younger than me so you may not require all the recuperating time I thought I would need. I could have easily made the trip home after I was discharged. My surgery was in Las Vegas and it gave my hubby time to play a little while I slept and rested.

Good luck with your surgery.

My doctor is actually requesting that I'm admitted for the night. I have been looking into staying the night before surgery. I'm not a morning person either!

It's official! My surgery date is April 7th! I'm having VSG and also getting my nasty ol' gall bladder removed. I start my pre-op diet on March 28th - 10 days, but it's not too bad. It's kind of like the Slim Fast plan - 2 shakes and a sensible dinner (plus lots and lots of water!)

I'm beyond excited! And also nervous and anxious and all that other stuff!

2 hours ago, CarlyK said:

It's official! My surgery date is April 7th! I'm having VSG and also getting my nasty ol' gall bladder removed. I start my pre-op diet on March 28th - 10 days, but it's not too bad. It's kind of like the Slim Fast plan - 2 shakes and a sensible dinner (plus lots and lots of water!)

I'm beyond excited! And also nervous and anxious and all that other stuff!

I'm hoping my preop plan is that nice to me! Lol

Hey All! Glad to be here....was given a surgery date of 4/9! Haven’t been able to sleep since then! That’s why I’m up now! Nervous and excited all at the same time 😂😂!

My employer decided to spring on me 6 weeks pre-surgery that they are most likely not approving my time off for surgery (still pending one more possible leave option, but it's looking unlikely). I decided that I want my surgery way more than I want this job, so went into overdrive and got a different job with a previous employer. It looks like it is going to mostly work out -- I will likely have to start orientation at the new job quicker than the original 2 weeks I wanted to take off, but it will be classroom training, which should be do-able.

I don't have to start my pre-op diet until a couple days before surgery, but I am contemplating getting into ketosis now so I don't have to go through that at the same time I am having surgery.

I am excited and nervous as the time gets closer!

6 hours ago, orange_lily said:

My employer decided to spring on me 6 weeks pre-surgery that they are most likely not approving my time off for surgery (still pending one more possible leave option, but it's looking unlikely). I decided that I want my surgery way more than I want this job, so went into overdrive and got a different job with a previous employer. It looks like it is going to mostly work out -- I will likely have to start orientation at the new job quicker than the original 2 weeks I wanted to take off, but it will be classroom training, which should be do-able.

I don't have to start my pre-op diet until a couple days before surgery, but I am contemplating getting into ketosis now so I don't have to go through that at the same time I am having surgery.

Its stupid that we should have to go to these lengths. If it was any other surgery they would be on board. However if you have been at that job for more than a year I believe they dont have a choice beciase FMLA protects you. Honestly switching jobs is probably better as I wouldn't want to work for someone with that attitude anyway! I'm glad ita all working out for you!

I let my last employer jerk me around for two years because they kept changing insurance providers that would and then wouldn’t cover my surgery. Then after two years, they pressured me to retire early. I quit as soon as my Medicare kicked in and got my surgery then.
Trust me, you were smart to change jobs and make your health the priority.

Good luck on your surgery.

7 hours ago, orange_lily said:

Your employer should not have been able to say no to a medically necessary leave if you had short term disability. You may not have qualified for FMLA which is job protection.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:29 AM, bethow said:

I live 3 hours from my surgeon and the hospital too. I went up the day before my surgery and spent the night at a hotel and am glad I did as I had to be at the hospital at 5 am (I am not a morning person).
I decided not to chance the long drive home so I spent the night after I was discharged at the hotel too.
But from your picture you are much younger than me so you may not require all the recuperating time I thought I would need. I could have easily made the trip home after I was discharged. My surgery was in Las Vegas and it gave my hubby time to play a little while I slept and rested.

Good luck with your surgery.

I am doing the same. I have pre-op on a Friday and surgery on Monday. My insurance approved my hotel stay for Friday thru Wed. I requested the extra night because I do not know what time I will be discharged and I do not want to travel the 3 1/2 hours super wiped out :)

Hi all! I'm approved for VSG on April 22 in Mexico. I'm excited to finally get this procedure done, but also concerned because it's outside of the United States. They've pretty much canceled all of the big events here in Atlanta for the next month or so. I hope the pandemic doesn't affect my surgery. I've waited almost two years for this. What's another few weeks, right?

Try not to stress. Mexico actually has fewer cases or coronavirus than we do, Mexico has very clean clinics and it took me 2.5 years to get surgery. I used the time to increase my exercise and change my eating habits. I lost 35 pounds in the two years prior to my surgery and 80 pounds since my surgery six months ago. Lol, my PCP asked after I lost the 35 pounds if I wanted to reconsider the surgery! Hell no!

Of course, he nearly did a jig when I went into my first appointment after my surgery because my blood pressure had gone down so much. So, good luck with your surgery; it’s quite an adventure.

35 minutes ago, bethow said:

Try not to stress. Mexico actually has fewer cases or coronavirus than we do, Mexico has very clean clinics and it took me 2.5 years to get surgery. I used the time to increase my exercise and change my eating habits. I lost 35 pounds in the two years prior to my surgery and 80 pounds since my surgery six months ago. Lol, my PCP asked after I lost the 35 pounds if I wanted to reconsider the surgery! Hell no!

Of course, he nearly did a jig when I went into my first appointment after my surgery because my blood pressure had gone down so much. So, good luck with your surgery; it’s quite an adventure.

I'm not actually worried about having the surgery in Mexico, at all, but whether or not TPTB decide to close the borders or restrict travel in a way that will affect me getting there. I've always looked at living near the busiest airport in the world as a blessing, but now, I'm not so sure. I'm also a first responder that's unable to work from home, which puts me in a rather unique situation. There's a lot up in the air, but luckily, I scheduled my surgery later in the month so maybe everything will calm down by then. I'm still planning on completing my pre-op plan as scheduled and I'm taking the necessary precautions regarding exposure. Cautiously optimistic is my aesthetic! Thank you!

Edited by loseitgal

On 3/10/2020 at 8:47 PM, JessicaP87 said:

I am scheduled for sleeve surgery April 1st. I just got my date today..super excited and nervous at the same time..I said my 2 week liquid diet next Wednesday. Any sleeve surgery twins??

Yes! I was scheduled for 4/29 but I just got a call this morning from the bariatric surgery case manager asking me if I'd be willing to move up my surgery date to 4/1! Eek!! I now have to start the two week liquid diet on Wednesday, just like you. We'll definitely have to cheer each other on!

So exciting!!! I’m sooo nervous/excited and for some reason starting to feel sad..I hope that’s normal. I think it’s the thought of change..but I’m optimistic. What state are you from? I’m in N.C.