Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thank Goodness for Food Tasting Videos - Guilty Pleasures

So I’m on day 15 post op and still doing liquids. Mostly Water, ice chips, popsicles, and Protein Shakes. I don’t have any hunger and no desire to try to swallow anything tougher than a frozen popsicle.

However, I’ve discovered this weird fascination with food tasting videos on YouTube. I don’t want the food, but for some reason it satisfies a part of my brain.

I’ve been in bed rest and these short vids are just the trick.

Trigger Warning: totally non appropriate food for bariatric patients. 🤓

Here are some fun ones:

https://youtu.be/d9A0i5gpMAQ
https://youtu.be/UC5KKlj7TAo

https://youtu.be/seCkuD77dnY

https://youtu.be/SHCeP5ozZi4

Anyone else watch these?

Yea I watch cooking shows like MasterChef and it feels good to watch without getting cravings like i used to...

Nothing beats a good Dinners Drive In and Dives! Big ole sloppy fat ass meals that we can never eat again! Ok we all have mental issues, But i do agree never watched food shows before the surgery now i do!

Thanks for sharinb, but I'm not going to click on the links, it would trigger me. I get triggered with food commercials on tv.

I know what you mean! Ive seen all the videos you posted lol I love Kids Try, and the Pero Like channels. I can watch any of their videos all day.

Did you have this fascination preop? I've always watched food videos, cooking shows, and other similar videos. As a child, one of my favorite channels was the Food Network. My family is big on cooking so I kinda got that from them. If anything, I appreciate cooking and prepping more since I've gotten surgery because I see how vital it is to take care of your body.

Not sure if its satisfying some part of my brain because watching food never made me hungry but its an interesting thought!

12 hours ago, Superman84 said:

Yea I watch cooking shows like MasterChef and it feels good to watch without getting cravings like i used to...

Love Masterchef!

14 hours ago, Show2n said:

So I’m on day 15 post op and still doing liquids. Mostly Water, ice chips, popsicles, and Protein Shakes. I don’t have any hunger and no desire to try to swallow anything tougher than a frozen popsicle.

However, I’ve discovered this weird fascination with food tasting videos on YouTube. I don’t want the food, but for some reason it satisfies a part of my brain.

I’ve been in bed rest and these short vids are just the trick.

Trigger Warning: totally non appropriate food for bariatric patients. 🤓

Here are some fun ones:

https://youtu.be/d9A0i5gpMAQ
https://youtu.be/UC5KKlj7TAo

https://youtu.be/seCkuD77dnY

https://youtu.be/SHCeP5ozZi4

Anyone else watch these?

I guess I think differently. And that's a-ok! Do what works for you. I too found food things (commercials), shows, youtube triggered head hunger and kept my emotional reward/attachment to food active.

I'm not saying I'm a saint and never strayed while in WLM or now in maintenance, but I found that using the honeymoon period to completely overhaul and reinvent my behaviors and thoughts about food have made all the difference in my life. I feel free for the first time in my life.

And then the even bigger, MORE PRESSING QUESTION...I just gotta be nosy and ask...

Why are you 15 days PO and STILL on "bed rest." I would think most docs would tell you to get out of the bed and walk your ass off! Move! Do stuff! Start getting healthy!

But that's just me.

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I guess I think differently. And that's a-ok! Do what works for you. I too found food things (commercials), shows, youtube triggered head hunger and kept my emotional reward/attachment to food active.

I'm not saying I'm a saint and never strayed while in WLM or now in maintenance, but I found that using the honeymoon period to completely overhaul and reinvent my behaviors and thoughts about food have made all the difference in my life. I feel free for the first time in my life.

And then the even bigger, MORE PRESSING QUESTION...I just gotta be nosy and ask...

Why are you 15 days PO and STILL on "bed rest." I would think most docs would tell you to get out of the bed and walk your ass off! Move! Do stuff! Start getting healthy!

But that's just me.

Some minor complications from surgery. I’m walking much more than I was last week. I know everyone’s experience is different so I’m just following my own path.

7 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

Nothing beats a good Dinners Drive In and Dives! Big ole sloppy fat ass meals that we can never eat again!

I hate this attitude and it bothers me more every time I read it. If it works for you so be it but stop promoting to to everyone else. You can still eat a lot of things in moderation. Ive said it dozens of times nobody got fat eating a slice of cake they got fat eating the whole damn cake.

You are correct but that show is insane with the size of the meals and all the sugar! Watch a episode everything is super sized, Just watched one with a Waffle Fried chicken smothered in Gravy! Maybe you could eat that but no way i could.

5 hours ago, Show2n said:

Some minor complications from surgery. I’m walking much more than I was last week. I know everyone’s experience is different so I’m just following my own path.

Yikes! Sorry to hear you've had some complications! Def. go at your own pace and per your doc's instructions.

5 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

You are correct but that show is insane with the size of the meals and all the sugar! Watch a episode everything is super sized, Just watched one with a Waffle Fried chicken smothered in Gravy! Maybe you could eat that but no way i could.

That was exactly @Brent701's point ...."You can still eat a lot of things in moderation. Ive said it dozens of times nobody got fat eating a slice of cake they got fat eating the whole damn cake"

Eat a couple of bites of the Waffle Fried chicken smothered in Gravy, get your fill of it, and then move on. No harm done as long as it isn't a slippery slope trigger.

On the topic of Cooking Shows etc., I could not watch them during my WLS phase. They were total head hunger triggers, and could not deal.