Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else discover a massive, insatiable sweet tooth after surgery? I'm almost 2 years out and unfortunately I'm not one of those who dump. I never had this bad of a sugar craving before surgery and now it's become one of my biggest struggles.

I sort of did. I was never a sweets person (I always preferred salty stuff).

Since about 4-5 months post WLS, I began to realllllly like dessert, LOL.

I was recently gifted a whole bunch of sugar-free candy...maybe that would help a little?

1F3FB71A-EF03-4241-BD1C-DECCBAB61802.JPG.c407677574f45161e8cc112722aef871.JPG

1F0E438C-0FEE-4631-928E-F7D735ECE4D1.JPG.b8a4858e6a8a6165c9de5ed6370ae967.JPG

yes - I crave sweets a lot more now than I did pre-surgery.

♀️♀️♀️ me too

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I used to crave things like bread or chips. After about 6 months post op I started really craving sweets. I'm a dumper, so I have to be really careful. It's almost 1 year post-op and I'm craving cake, ice cream and candy. It's sooo weird for me. I wish u luck in trying to fight the struggle for sweets cravings.

I gravitate to sweet for a different reason. Some time ago my taste buds stopped working properly. I couldn’t taste anything anymore mainly if it were strong sweet, salty, creamy or by texture. Sometimes it is worse than others. I tend to use sweet but without sugar. I use stevia in my tea or coffee. I buy skinny girl flavor Syrup usually from either Burlington, Tuesday morning, tMarshall’s or home goods or tjmaxx they have them cheapest.

be careful with sugar alcohols especially maltitol, that’s dangerous for dumping. but there’s plenty of healthier sweet options like Protein Bars, Protein Cookies, smart cakes, smart muffins, mug cakes, etc. BariatricPal Store has quite a selection. Also Netrition.com.

i haven’t had it in a while but if you crave bread great low carb bread company makes good bread, Bagels, thin Pizza Crust, and other things even Pasta. It’s a balance of Fiber and protein.

I try not to tempt myself with too much sweet and im not a snacker. So the sweet has to be protein for a meal. Of course that’s just me. I keep it little to no sugar, avoid sugar alcohols unless it’s a little bit of Erythritol. And stick to low carb and make sure it has protein. Fiber helps.

if you like chocolate I found an interesting Protein Bar that’s called Built Bar, it comes in a bunch of flavors, 110 calories, 15 grams protein and low sugar. I bought a sampler box with a $10 coupon from their Facebook page. I tried mint brownie and it’s a bit like a dark chocolate peppermint patty.
Not sure if it still works but the $10 off code is FIRSTBUILTBAR

There’s even healthier Gummy candies (smart sweets) that are sweetened with stevia and have lots of fiber. I think there are Protein Gummies too.

halo top is one lower sugar, low calorie ice cream option.

I am happy to know I’m not alone in this. Post op 4 months out now and sweets are on my mind constantly. My sweet tooth is through the roof. And I have never been a sweets person, give me an appetizer over dessert anytime but now Ice cream is calling my name in my sleep like a lover in a romance novel.

11 years post op. I have gained back half of what I lost. Is there hope to stop the weight gain?

2 hours ago, poohdunk said:

11 years post op. I have gained back half of what I lost. Is there hope to stop the weight gain?

There is: go back to basics, counting calories along with a balanced food intake. Use a calorie counting app if that helps, set your profile to lose 1lb or 2lb per week...it will set calories based on your current weight, height, gender, incidental actiivities...give it a go for at least three to six months.

If you are overeating due to emotional eating, look for activity based things to do that can replace the emotional eating. Angry go for a brisk walk or boxing class, stressed a soak in a relaxing bath, lonely or bored visit a friend or family member or even give volunteering a go. Maybe consider counselling if you aren't able to rein in the emotional eating.

If it portion creep and your portion sizes have increased a lot, go back to using smaller plates and bowls so as to encourage smaller portions.

You could also consider visiting a dietician for some guidance and/or consider a revision weight loss surgery.