Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery, sex, IUD, & pill? Help!

Sigh. Never thought I’d post something like this online, but I’m freaking out a bit & need advice! Also this could very much be TMI for many, so if it is, I apologize.

I had major complications after my sleeve (4/2018). My new surgeon figured it all out, and I’m being revised to a bypass January 13th. I’m currently on my presurg liquid diet.

I have a new boyfriend, and we slept together for the first time tonight. (Yay!) I have the Mirena IUD. It’s >99% effective for preventing pregnancy. This is why I have it. We used a condom the first go, but the 2nd & 3rd tonight... well, we didn’t.

I know they’ll do a pregnancy test at the hospital before surgery, and they will cancel it if I test positive. So here’s my question - for that less than 1% chance, should I take Plan B just to be safe for surgery? I hate worrying over this. This is why I got to IUD... to not worry! But now I’m paranoid that this could mess up my revision.

(Please don’t lecture me. I’m freaked out enough. Just need some honest advice. Thanks! 💜)

I would not worry about it. The IUD is very, very effective.

And congratulations on the new boyfriend 😍

Pregnancy isn't the concern, I have the Mirena. I'd be more concerned with STD screening and etc. (No offense) With new partners, until testing this is a valid concern for both parties. Have the discussion and go together, it will make future escapades much more enjoyable and then you will be free to be spontaneous once you know.... I hope you didn't mind my public service announcement, it is all love.

49 minutes ago, kristieshannon said:

And congratulations on the new boyfriend 😍

Thank you! He’s a breath of fresh air for sure! Went on liquid diet right after he arrived in my life. Had to explain on our first date why I was just having Water. Didn’t faze him a bit! He’s wonderful!

38 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

The issue is, if you want a baby or not. You wont get it both ways as of now. The mirena is the most effective contraceptive - I have it myself, and chances are slim to none to get pregnant. In either case, they would not recommend having a baby with the IUD since IUD needs to be removed and it will most likely cause miscarriage.

I definitely don’t want a baby, and he doesn’t want more kiddos either. Preventing pregnancy is why I got it. I don’t know why I’m so worried tonight.

2 minutes ago, Krimsonbutterflies said:

Pregnancy isn't the concern, I have the Mirena. I'd be more concerned with STD screening and etc. (No offense) With new partners, until testing this is a valid concern for both parties. Have the discussion and go together, it will make future escapades much more enjoyable and then you will be free to be spontaneous once you know.... I hope you didn't mind my public service announcement, it is all love.

Thank you for the PSA. Seriously! It’s a good reminder, and I appreciate how you worded it. I don’t mind at all! :) Thankfully, we were both tested & discusses it before being intimate. Adding to the PSA - it might feel uncomfortable bringing it up, but it’s definitely something you need to do before you’re in the heat of the moment! We talked about it over text, and then moved to a phone call, so it was less awkward that way.

6 minutes ago, SparklyInNOut said:

Thank you! He’s a breath of fresh air for sure! Went on liquid diet right after he arrived in my life. Had to explain on our first date why I was just having Water. Didn’t faze him a bit! He’s wonderful!

I definitely don’t want a baby, and he doesn’t want more kiddos either. Preventing pregnancy is why I got it. I don’t know why I’m so worried tonight.

Thank you for the PSA. Seriously! It’s a good reminder, and I appreciate how you worded it. I don’t mind at all! :) Thankfully, we were both tested & discusses it before being intimate. Adding to the PSA - it might feel uncomfortable bringing it up, but it’s definitely something you need to do before you’re in the heat of the moment! We talked about it over text, and then moved to a phone call, so it was less awkward that way.

Now to be comical, my dearly departed Aunt told me..."You aren't ready to part your legs, if you can't have a discussion about protecting yourself 🤣!" That's the PG version of her advice to me, I was 16 at the time, that was an interesting conversation. I understood what she was saying. It's all about presentation and hearing one another and you have both communicated effectively. Isn't that attractive on a whole separate level 💜, I love being an adult.

Edited by Krimsonbutterflies

What phase of your cycle are you in? There are less effective periods to get pregnant during (rhythm method of birth control) coupled with IUD may provide all of the coverage you need.

Mirena is very effective I had the whole 5 years never had a pregnancy it wasn't until i took it out soon as i took it out i got pregnant but moral of the story is pregnancy shouldn't be your concern it works

Oh gosh, other than having the surgery, what would you do if you WERE pregnant? Would you keep it/would you abort? That's really the question, isn't it?

No view on the IED not even sure - But dang the guy is a stud 3 times in one night! You are luckier then my girlfriends

On 1/5/2020 at 5:18 AM, GreenTealael said:

What phase of your cycle are you in? There are less effective periods to get pregnant during (rhythm method of birth control) coupled with IUD may provide all of the coverage you need.

That’s part of the issue. Because the IUD has stopped my period, I have no idea.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:54 AM, Raebae said:

Mirena is very effective I had the whole 5 years never had a pregnancy it wasn't until i took it out soon as i took it out i got pregnant but moral of the story is pregnancy shouldn't be your concern it works

You’re right. Just got nervous. I need to trust it for sure.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:24 AM, GradyCat said:

Oh gosh, other than having the surgery, what would you do if you WERE pregnant? Would you keep it/would you abort? That's really the question, isn't it?

We’ve talked about it. He doesn’t want more kids. I don’t want one of our own. However, if I got pregnant, we would make a decision together.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:01 PM, AJ Tylo said:

No view on the IED not even sure - But dang the guy is a stud 3 times in one night! You are luckier then my girlfriends

Hahah! Thank you! We both feel pretty dang lucky! ;-)