Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery questions

My laparoscopic RYN surgery is scheduled for February and I’ve been thinking about what it will be like post surgery. I would love to hear your perspectives on the topics below:

Did you have a drainage tube or catheter in the hospital?

Did you have to go home with a drainage tube?

Were you able to sleep on your stomach when you came home? If no, how long was it until you could?

I’ve heard people recommend having a pillow for your stomach? Does that help if your surgery was laparoscopic?

And last but not least...is there anything you wish you would have known about what you would experience after surgery.

I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Did you have a drainage tube or catheter in the hospital? No

Did you have to go home with a drainage tube? No

Were you able to sleep on your stomach when you came home? If no, how long was it until you could? No. Can't remember - maybe three weeks or so? (I rarely sleep on my stomach, though. I'm a side sleeper - although I had to sleep on my back the first couple of weeks)

I’ve heard people recommend having a pillow for your stomach? Does that help if your surgery was laparoscopic? A lot of us use it on the ride home in case the car goes over bumps.

And last but not least...is there anything you wish you would have known about what you would experience after surgery.

Not really, I hung out on internet forums like this one starting several months before surgery, so I felt pretty prepared. Plus my clinic did a good job of preparing us, too.

Were you able to sleep on your stomach when you came home? If no, how long was it until you could? My Dr. said I could but it wasn't comfortable

I’ve heard people recommend having a pillow for your stomach? Does that help if your surgery was laparoscopic? I brought my pillow to use in the hospital but didn't need it for the trip home

And last but not least...is there anything you wish you would have known about what you would experience after surgery. I wish someone would have told me that it's normal to mourn the way I used to be able to eat a lot. For example going out to a nice dinner or Thanksgiving and not being able to eat more than a few bites and being a little sad about it. It does get better with time and soon you'll adjust to a new normal and will be happy that you can only take a few bites and now have control over your eating......Good luck!

Edited by justmetj

Did you have a drainage tube or catheter in the hospital? -No
Did you have to go home with a drainage tube? -No

Were you able to sleep on your stomach when you came home? If no, how long was it until you could? -No, it hurt to. I am 6 days out and still can’t. But I can sleep on my side.
I’ve heard people recommend having a pillow for your stomach? Does that help if your surgery was laparoscopic? - yes. Have extra pillows. Even if it’s so you can stay propped up comfortably in your own bed. This was the best advice someone gave me.
And last but not least...is there anything you wish you would have known about what you would experience after surgery. - I wish I would have known about all the emotions I would experience after surgery. It was a dark time for me this first week. Mourning is very real and not being able to eat real food plays with you! My best advice is exactly what everyone says, walk. It really helped me recharge myself.

My laparoscopic RYN surgery is scheduled for February and I’ve been thinking about what it will be like post surgery. I would love to hear your perspectives on the topics below:

Did you have a drainage tube or catheter in the hospital? NO

Did you have to go home with a drainage tube? NO

Were you able to sleep on your stomach when you came home? If no, how long was it until you could? I hate sleeping on my stomach so no advice for you there!😀

I’ve heard people recommend having a pillow for your stomach? Does that help if your surgery was laparoscopic? The pillow helps with the soreness when you cough. You DID have several holes poked in your abdominal muscles so they will be a little sore.

And last but not least...is there anything you wish you would have known about what you would experience after surgery. It was a big surprise to feel such pain when I woke from the surgery but the nurses knocked it down quickly with pain meds. The gas pain lasts longer than you think it should, but DOES diminish fairly quickly. Walk your butt off and it goes away faster. Don't be surprised if you have trouble drinking right after surgery. Be patient with yourself and eventually you will get there. I'm six weeks out and can only get 48 ounces in a day and the dr's office is OK with that.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:33 PM, Jenni L said:

Did you have a drainage tube or catheter in the hospital? - I did for two days and it was the worst part of the surgery. But once she took it out, immediate relief.

Did you have to go home with a drainage tube? - No

Were you able to sleep on your stomach when you came home? If no, how long was it until you could? - No. I'm 9 days post op and don't foresee being able to sleep on my stomach until the incisions are fully healed.

I’ve heard people recommend having a pillow for your stomach? Does that help if your surgery was laparoscopic? - I didn't need a pillow for my stomach, but I did use a heating pad for the gas pain in my shoulder. It worked great.

And last but not least...is there anything you wish you would have known about what you would experience after surgery. Not yet....I did a ton of research beforehand so I feel I was pretty prepared on what to expect.

I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Were you able to sleep on your stomach when you came home? If no, how long was it until you could? No, but I can sleep on my side. It's been a week since my surgery and one incision is still tender. I'm a stomach sleeper, but I have been sleeping fine on my back or side. Your body will adjust.

I’ve heard people recommend having a pillow for your stomach? Does that help if your surgery was laparoscopic? No pillow for me.

And last but not least...is there anything you wish you would have known about what you would experience after surgery. Being on these forums, having a great team, and having two close friends having the surgery prepared me well for what to expect. The hardest part is smelling what my husband cooks. I've decided to go upstairs while he's eating. But, I keep telling myself that in a month I'll be able to eat normal again, albeit very small portions. I'm also still surprised at the fact that I CAN'T eat everything I intend. Last night, I attempted to eat yogurt and could only get through 3 oz. That's still weird to me!