Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post OP- nausea, dry heaving, incision pain, not eating...

I had my gastric sleeve done on new year's eve 12/31. I haven't felt hunger but i know the half cup of Jello that i have consumed in the time since is not sufficient. I have been focused on staying hydrated. Both are hard because im nauseated which causes dry heaving a lot. Im up to 10oz of Water in an hour if i take my pain meds and my nausea pills which i can only do every 4hrs. I have one incision(ther one the stomach was pulled from) that's killer. Im trying to stay on top of this but i feel like I'm fighting a lot of battles at once.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

It's a lot going on right after surgery. You're focusing on the right thing - sipping Water all day long and staying hydrated. That's key. The food isn't as necessary. It's only been 2 days, starting on the third day since your surgery, so give it a week and I promise it all gets better. Hang in there and good luck on your weight loss journey.

I'm sorry you are struggling. My understanding is swelling generally peeks 48-72 hours after an injury or surgery and you are still in that window. Hopefully, as swelling goes down the pain and nausea will as well and you'll start to be able to get food and more liquids in.

My sleeve surgery was 12/28. My dr protocol is only Clear Liquids the first week so I wouldn't worry about getting any food in at all. In fact it can be dangerous while your new stomach is healing. Focus on fluids only at this point. Good luck!

I didn't have anything besides for Clear Liquids until day 6. Day 3 was probably the hardest as far as pain and nausea. Just focus on keeping hydrated and healing for now.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

They gave me solid food(chicken salad) the next day in the hospital before i was discharged i got down 2 small bites and thats that for the next week i just did shakes and Water and i was fine in the beginning you are going thru so many changes just give your body time it gets better ....now im 6 weeks out and everything i try is fine i haven't vomited at all not even in the beginning ..... You got this

16 hours ago, loridee11 said:

I'm sorry you are struggling. My understanding is swelling generally peeks 48-72 hours after an injury or surgery and you are still in that window. Hopefully, as swelling goes down the pain and nausea will as well and you'll start to be able to get food and more liquids in.

Oh thank God i Hope that's true. Looking to Get over this hump soon.

16 hours ago, loridee11 said:

How are you doing and feeling since your surgery? Has consuming the daily liquid goals and etc. been manageable for you?

2 hours ago, Krimsonbutterflies said:

How are you doing and feeling since your surgery? Has consuming the daily liquid goals and etc. been manageable for you?

Today is day 4 and i was able to get down about 40oz of Water and a half cup of broth. No nausea no vomiting very little pain. I guess i just had to give my stomach time to adjust to the change. Patience hasn't always been my biggest asset but i see that will need to change quickly. I actually woke up today feeling ok but i won't rush things and I'll trust that my body will do what it needs to in the time is deserves. You all are so wonderful and im so fortunate to be a part of this group.

Yesterday I actually felt like I had a more difficult time getting in the correct number fluids than day 1 and 2 as well as more pain at the large incision. A nurse I spoke with said some people have more pain etc days 3-6 so hopefully it will get better soon. I've just been adding GENEPRO to Crystal light to get in some Protein.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

8 hours ago, Krimsonbutterflies said:

I’m doing really well. I’m off pain meds today and am a little tired but otherwise ok. I’ve met my fluid goals each day. I’ve been close to Protein (met 1 day) but to do that I feel like I’m putting something in my mouth all day - I know that I’m eating just a tiny amount but between 3 meals (2 oz Soup or Greek yogurt) and the 2 Protein Shakes I need to get protein it is really hard.

you?

10 hours ago, loridee11 said:

I’m doing really well. I’m off pain meds today and am a little tired but otherwise ok. I’ve met my fluid goals each day. I’ve been close to Protein (met 1 day) but to do that I feel like I’m putting something in my mouth all day - I know that I’m eating just a tiny amount but between 3 meals (2 oz Soup or Greek yogurt) and the 2 Protein Shakes I need to get Protein it is really hard.

you?

Oh wow im still on Clear Liquids until day 7 no protein. These doctors have a million different ways about how to go thru this process. Im off my pain meds. I constantly have the urge to gulp. I was a huge Water chugger prior. But i am happy you're doing so well.

12 hours ago, Bamachicvsg said:

Oh wow im still on Clear Liquids until day 7 no Protein. These doctors have a million different ways about how to go thru this process. Im off my pain meds. I constantly have the urge to gulp. I was a huge Water chugger prior. But i am happy you're doing so well.

Agreed. I also think I'm seeing a pattern where the sleeve patients need to be a little more conservative than RNY at first, but obviously not statistically significant. And even then, there seems to be a ton of variation.

My Dr. had me on clear liquids the first 2 days (they actually had me on broth the night of surgery). Now I am on modified full liquids until 2 weeks. It's any liquid and then things like greek yogurt, cottage cheese (chewed REALLY well), strained Soup, even watered down cream of wheat (although I haven't tried that yet).

8 hours ago, loridee11 said:

Agreed. I also think I'm seeing a pattern where the sleeve patients need to be a little more conservative than RNY at first, but obviously not statistically significant. And even then, there seems to be a ton of variation.

My Dr. had me on Clear Liquids the first 2 days (they actually had me on broth the night of surgery). Now I am on modified full liquids until 2 weeks. It's any liquid and then things like greek yogurt, cottage cheese (chewed REALLY well), strained Soup, even watered down cream of wheat (although I haven't tried that yet).

We are basically identical now. Can't wait for phase 3

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 11:07 PM, Bamachicvsg said:

Oh wow im still on Clear Liquids until day 7 no Protein. These doctors have a million different ways about how to go thru this process. Im off my pain meds. I constantly have the urge to gulp. I was a huge Water chugger prior. But i am happy you're doing so well.

Bone Broth was my lifesaver the first week because it had 9g of protein. Def needed it for energy and recovery. I had 7 days of clear liquids as well