Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

THE SLOW LOSERS CLUB SUPPORT THREAD

On 1/10/2020 at 11:43 AM, Sheribear68 said:

So for all of you “slow” losers out there: keep up, keep fighting, don’t ever stop and don’t EVER stop working your plan.

@Sheribear68 - you are so amazing! What you posted is exactly what I feel this thread was meant to be for..for support, to give the wisdom of the fact that lbs lost per week in the first 6 months, 2 months, 1st month, etc. is not the 'factor' that determines your journey's success. Long term studies I've seen show that people who do what you said - and stay on and work their plan..and yes, the more lost..the more we will have to work...that if you stick with it you WILL hit your goal DESPITE whether you dumped a ton of weight in the first few months or not.

I think over 90% of the ppl on this thread are looking for general support - no one that I can recall has taken the more negative mindset and said 'hey, this surgery didn't work'...or 'I wish I had never done this'....most ppl are wanting just a bit more support emotionally and maybe if they wish, to have ppl talk about tips to address certain issues that may or may not make their own weight loss journey a bit more challenging.

I hope this thread stays positive so people can get the encouragement they need and as others have said, we are here because we want to REMAIN fully committed to the journey and it is helpful when we are talking to people who are WORKING through the same thing or have been through the same thing. We PLAN and are DETERMINED to hit our goal weights - that is why this thread is valuable for me...just like Fluffy's headwork thread and several other threads.

What's the longest stall you all have experienced? I am 9 months out and am currently in month 3 of a stall. I'm getting so frustrated ☹️. In another thread someone suggested intermittent fasting. I may try that

On 1/10/2020 at 10:58 PM, ms.sss said:

"Slow" or "Fast" is all relative. IN THE BEGINNING, its normally easier for a 300lb person to lose 4-5 lbs a week vs a 225lb person.

I started at 235 lbs 2 weeks before surgery. I just looked it up, and not counting the first month post op, I averaged 2.8 lb loss a week until I reached goal in 7 months, with a total loss at that time of 110 lbs (which includes the 11 lbs I lost in my two week pre-op diet).

I DO NOT think my 2.8 lbs weekly loss as slow in any way whatsoever. In fact, I think it was wickedly fast.

I so totally agree about "slow losing" not being slow at all. I have lost / am losing weight at about the same rate. (In the beginning it was more though.) Still, I feel like I need to get used to my new body more even though im 7 months post-op. Im about 12 lbs from my first weight goal of 176. (I started at 312 lbs about a year ago.) It seems like yesterday that I just found this forum and was on the operating table. Sometimes things taking time helps us get our heads around it even when we think it should take less time.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, CapyCapybara said:

I am only 3 weeks out and maybe my mind set will change later in the journey BUT I find myself a slow loser. I am not losing the same amount as EXAMPLE fatboyslim. I am also not losing around the same rate as pre op.

Here is your first statement on that post - you are THREE weeks out. Right now you need to breathe, relax and stay with the plan. There are time frames where you will stall, or just rest and not lose. You are healing and have inflammation, also you are at a stage where just getting adequate liquids and Protein are difficult. Your body and brain are making major adjustments just to heal.

Breathe, take a nap, take a long hot soak. It WILL happen. As a sleever myself, I had many many weeks with no loss, and then whoosh 5 pounds, that is how it was for me. The vets on here give sage advice (hi peeps), we are all different but the plan works if you stay the course and tweak when you need to. Follow the food stages, get your macros fulfilled and enjoy it. There are great rewards.

On 1/2/2020 at 1:54 PM, Lynda486 said:

You are not alone! You had your surgery 12 days before me and I am also a slow loser. I am down 50, so it's around 14 a month on average which I could never maintain prior to surgery. My most recent nutritionist visit she practically told me to double my calories a day ( I did not) But I do get to 800 a couple days a week, and the scale has been moving, but slow. Maybe try adding an extra 100 calories a day and see what that does for you? If you get the scale moving again (and you will) let me know what you did to help things along!

Really me to I was so happy in the beginning I was loosing at a good rate (I was 223 DOS) but now I have platoed. I keep going down to 168 then back up to 173. This has been going on for a month. 😓😓😓

On 01/11/2020 at 12:07, KarenLR75 said:

@Sheribear68 - you are so amazing! What you posted is exactly what I feel this thread was meant to be for..for support, to give the wisdom of the fact that lbs lost per week in the first 6 months, 2 months, 1st month, etc. is not the 'factor' that determines your journey's success. Long term studies I've seen show that people who do what you said - and stay on and work their plan..and yes, the more lost..the more we will have to work...that if you stick with it you WILL hit your goal DESPITE whether you dumped a ton of weight in the first few months or not.

I think over 90% of the ppl on this thread are looking for general support - no one that I can recall has taken the more negative mindset and said 'hey, this surgery didn't work'...or 'I wish I had never done this'....most ppl are wanting just a bit more support emotionally and maybe if they wish, to have ppl talk about tips to address certain issues that may or may not make their own weight loss journey a bit more challenging.

I hope this thread stays positive so people can get the encouragement they need and as others have said, we are here because we want to REMAIN fully committed to the journey and it is helpful when we are talking to people who are WORKING through the same thing or have been through the same thing. We PLAN and are DETERMINED to hit our goal weights - that is why this thread is valuable for me...just like Fluffy's headwork thread and several other threads.

I wish people would read this and reread this again haha

Sadly the average person responding to pleas for help about "stalls" do not offer advise or tips. Instead they say things like "I understand you weight the same as you did a month ago, it happened to me too". Or, "a lot of people report that they go up and down for periods of time, etc...."

Heres the problem with that: it's basically contrary to what people are asking for, which is: how can I get back on track?

People do not need excuses to do the same wrong things over and over again. People need encouragement that says things like, "we are human, we slip up and eat too much of the wrong things, and this is what I did to get back on track."

I would bet that every single long term person on this thread who ever encountered a stall for over a week, realizes in retrospect that their "stall" was directly related to their caloric consumption. If that's so, then say it, dont encourage the same behavior in people when they are reaching out for answers.

1 hour ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

Sadly the average person responding to pleas for help about "stalls" do not offer advise or tips. Instead they say things like "I understand you weight the same as you did a month ago, it happened to me too". Or, "a lot of people report that they go up and down for periods of time, etc...."

Heres the problem with that: it's basically contrary to what people are asking for, which is: how can I get back on track?

People do not need excuses to do the same wrong things over and over again. People need encouragement that says things like, "we are human, we slip up and eat too much of the wrong things, and this is what I did to get back on track."

I would bet that every single long term person on this thread who ever encountered a stall for over a week, realizes in retrospect that their "stall" was directly related to their caloric consumption. If that's so, then say it, dont encourage the same behavior in people when they are reaching out for answers.

Would you please stop policing the discussion? It's incredibly annoying.

For whatever I’m allowed to identify myself as (hahaha) ....
I’m extremely frustrated. There’s a post going on about my surgery month. Essentially it’s a check in thread. People have posted that they have lost 4 xs the amount as I have and some who had surgery almost a week after me have had lost almost double . Congrats and awesome to them. But I’m so frustrated hahaha

I am NOT saying F the doctors, F the plan , F the surgery it doesn’t work .... I’m simply venting my frustration of not losing as fast as my surgery twins or surgery month people. I think it’s good to have this so people can vent and know they aren’t the only ones. Or “Hey homegirl/boy, me too, this shiiizz is frustrating as hell but we got this .” Instead of just feeling like a failure in the corner

As far as stalls ... I have nothing to contribute. I’ve been on one but I am having a feeling monthly visitor is contributing. Seeing my team tomorrow so I’ll return with whatever feed back they give me .

I know some have stated they wanted to post or been lurking because they are scared to post. If you need to just vent about it - my inbox is open. I’m a newbie to this but I know it can be helpful just to get this shit off your chest ! Good luck to everyone

@CapyCapybara, can I ask you a question? Feel free to answer or not. When's the last time you lost 30 lbs. so quickly? I found comparing myself to others, especially people with higher starting weights or men (because they have more muscle mass) to be not helpful.

On 01/12/2020 at 11:20, JessLess said:

@CapyCapybara, can I ask you a question? Feel free to answer or not. When's the last time you lost 30 lbs. so quickly? I found comparing myself to others, especially people with higher starting weights or men (because they have more muscle mass) to be not helpful.

I’ve done it many times before on diets . But, I also didn’t have the restriction like I have had . I haven’t even lost 30lbs on with pre op diet plus vsg

Again, I’m not saying NOT to get the surgery or regret it. I’m clearly stating my frustration just like others have stated theirs. Why can’t y’all just let this be our “safe space” to freely talk about frustration during this process ?

@CapyCapybara, I'm sorry! It can be for sure.

Also, for the few that seem to want to keep stirring the pot (FYI - one of the ones you may think is..I don't believe that is their true intent) and even one who stated 'there was basically no evil magic preventing us from losing' weight..not precise wording but close...if they want to continue to post despite begging to the contrary, you can go to your profile drop down and you will see a list of actions and one includes 'Ignore Users'.

I've added 1 to mine in the 3 years I've lurked on these forums and have added one more from recent issues. Just an option I wanted everyone to know they have. I do NOT want ppl afraid of being able to post...

On 01/10/2020 at 15:55, sillykitty said:

I think this is the crux of the problem!

In what world, by who's definition, is anything sub 3 lbs/week losing slowly??

Exactly!
This is why so often I was putting slow in quotes, but I didn’t on that one, lol.

There will be those phenoms who for whatever reason are able to drop >3 pounds/week in the first few weeks.
The rest of us see that and maybe we’re going through a rough patch and we’re stalled and then it seems as if nothing is going right even when it actually is.

I’m fairly lucky in a regard. I had my WLS after having all of my children, after cancer, after hysterectomy, and after menopause.
All of those things truly eff with your metabolism and I got all those “out of the way” so they never slowed me down.

Of course all of those things contributed to me being MO to,start with, so there’s that. 🤣🤣

What is considered a slow loser? I am almost 5 months out, I have lost 55 lbs post op and 7w since preop diet started. There are weeks I dont lose a thing... maybe 8 lbs a month if I'm really trying.

Sent from my SM-G965W using BariatricPal mobile app