Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

THE SLOW LOSERS CLUB SUPPORT THREAD

Okay.

"Slow" or "Fast" is all relative. IN THE BEGINNING, its normally easier for a 300lb person to lose 4-5 lbs a week vs a 225lb person.

I started at 235 lbs 2 weeks before surgery. I just looked it up, and not counting the first month post op, I averaged 2.8 lb loss a week until I reached goal in 7 months, with a total loss at that time of 110 lbs (which includes the 11 lbs I lost in my two week pre-op diet).

I DO NOT think my 2.8 lbs weekly loss as slow in any way whatsoever. In fact, I think it was wickedly fast.

I stuck to my plan those 7 months. Pretty strictly. I made sure to get in my exercise. I figured there was time later for a looser diet AFTER I lost the weight.

I am now 1 year & 3 months post op and my total loss is standing at 120 lbs, which is more than 1/2 my total (NOT excess) body weight. Today I am 115lbs with a BMI of 21. I'm 5'2".

However.

Full disclosure, I am of the CICO camp. I also understand that some peoples' CICO exchange are alot more efficient than others' due to a gazillion reasons. But I at the base level, it holds true. You can't argue science. If you don't eat a stick of food for a month, I guarantee you, you will lose a whole lotta weight, no matter what issues you have. Is this healthy? Hells no. But is it fact? Hells yes.

With that said, I do also understand that there are folks who need to vent their frustrations, as it makes one feel better to feel understood and commiserate with others who find themselves in the same boat. There is security and camaraderie in numbers.

I mean, it does sorta suck to be told "this is all your own making", regardless if it is true or not.

The title of this thread is the "SLOW LOSERS CLUB SUPPORT GROUP". Its clear that the purpose of this thread is for those who believe they are slow losers (whatever the criteria is to qualify oneself as such) and to vent and share their frustrations, and not to attend a science lesson.

Perhaps another, separate thread can be started for the purpose of continuing this debate, and this thread can be left to those who need it to get through. I would think that those who want the information will go there to find it.

Of course no one is stopping anyone from posting what they think, when they think it, to wherever they want.

Good Luck, everyone.

Edited by ms.sss

I am only 3 weeks out and maybe my mind set will change later in the journey BUT I find myself a slow loser. I am not losing the same amount as EXAMPLE fatboyslim. I am also not losing around the same rate as pre op.

I find it frustrating that I came to this to be a “safe” place to talk about frustration of not dropping lbs as fast as others (I know we shouldn’t compare but we do) I am dropping lbs just not like the 5-10lbs a weekers. I’m following my plan the best I can - I am lacking the Protein. I’m having a hard time trying to drink 2 Protein Drinks to meet my goals AND eating 2 oz of protein (eating part of tuna creation pack with good culture cottage cheese to “soften” it up) I’m just insanely full.

Anyways, I get CICO , I agree with it BUT right now it’s just not going A+B= C for my body on the scale BUT I’m definitely losing inches.
Also, I’ve been spotting on and off since Monday and have had period like cramps . So I know my hormones have to be a little wonky atm. Usually during my monthly I hold Water weight 🤷‍♀️ . My face is breaking out like a teenagers too 😩 I usually have clear skin with a pimple or two during that time.

Back to the point. I find it frustrating when I see people blow the weight off and I’m doing the same thing and I look like I’m going snails pace THEN some say it’s being unrealistic to have the expectations of losing fast like others or I must be lying , making excuses etc etc etc

I am just not understanding why it’s so detrimental to others if I want to label myself a slow loser ? Or other people do? It’s keeping me from the mind frame to restrict (to only drink water at this point to drop faster), or say F it if I can’t be like Mike - why bother?.

Saying I might be a slow loser or I am one makes me feel better or at peace that I’m not melting like others 🤷‍♀️ maybe it may help others who are feeling a bit defeated that they aren’t dropping as fast

Anyways, end of rant

9 hours ago, CapyCapybara said:

I am not losing the same amount as EXAMPLE fatboyslim. I am also not losing around the same rate as pre op.

Neither did I or most likely not any or at least not much of the women you can find on here.

Back to the point. I find it frustrating when I see people blow the weight off and I’m doing the same thing and I look like I’m going snails pace THEN some say it’s being unrealistic to have the expectations of losing fast like others or I must be lying , making excuses etc etc etc

Most people do seem to have unrealistic expectations how fast the weight should be coming off or not. That's why many people say one shouldn't compare the own weight loss rate to that of others. (Ok, mostly it's more like a "I know I shouldn't compared, but...")

I don't think that people are lying. However, they're overestimating what their TDEE is.

9 hours ago, CapyCapybara said:

I am just not understanding why it’s so detrimental to others if I want to label myself a slow loser ?

It's a bit like labelling yourself a poor man when your yearly income is a million bucks.

On 1/7/2020 at 3:16 PM, Losingit2018 said:

straight from the ada

Diabetics should eat 4-5 small meals during the day instead of three larger meals, says the American Diabetes Association (ADA). This practice allows for a slower, continuous absorption of food, which prevents your body from ever switching over to a fasting state.

Among the benefits are decreased blood sugar levels after meals, reduced insulin requirements during the course of the day and lower blood cholesterol levels.

Eating several small meals may also decrease your hunger and reduce the overall number of calories you eat during the day.

Contrary to what my hospital guidelines are for diabetics and the information I give my diabetic patients, when low carb there is no need for 4-5 meals a day (not even for type 1's), eating often increases glucose/ insulin production there for glucose spikes occur then dip rapidly causing lows.

USA is obvs a bit behind the 8 ball with diabetec diets it seems, which surprises me coz I always think you are miles ahead of the rest of the world.

Capy - would it be possible for you to fill out your stats profile and also keep this thread up to date on your progress. You seem to be the perfect example of how "women in particular" struggle with "slow weight loss" .

Your contemporaneous progress would be great for people who are struggling, to watch. You write very well and seem to be engaged with the community, and it would be very helpful.

I for one am very interested to know if you were on a pre surgery diet, and if so how long and how much did you lose.

luck!

The funny thing is... some people are OK with losing slowly and there's actually nothing wrong with that. This thread is for those people who want to talk about their journey while losing SLOWLY. For the people who insist on coming on here and trying to prove their points about why people are losing slow, blah blah blah... please stop now.

I would love to come on to this thread and talk about my weight loss journey, but I feel like I'm going to have a few weight loss know it alls jump down my throat. I don't need someone telling me how to lose - I'm doing it. SLOWLY.

On 1/2/2020 at 6:40 PM, JRT Mom said:

Thanks! I'll check it out.

ps I went low-tech and printed a piece of graph paper. On the y axis I put my weight and on the x axis the date. It surely makes the weight loss look dramatic!

Our surgery days are literally a day apart. I weighed in at 200.8 before surgery and have only lost 14 pounds, and you have lost 27. That is exactly what the OP was talking about. I know we aren't suppose to compare, but we are all suppose to being doing essentially the same things. Yes, out body build and genes are different, but still IT'S FREAKING DISCOURAGING when I am working so hard at this. It makes you feel like you don't know wtf you're doing even though you do because heck, you have done this ish before especially if you are a revision person like myself. Anyway, congrats on the 27 pound lost and many more to come in the near future.🙂

19 minutes ago, froufrou said:

The funny thing is... some people are OK with losing slowly and there's actually nothing wrong with that.

Of course it's ok. It's also ok when people say that they don't want to get to a BMI of below 25. However, there are also quite a few people complaining about losing "too slowly" and some of them act like it is some kind of evil magic that prevents them from losing faster.

For the people who insist on coming on here and trying to prove their points about why people are losing slow, blah blah blah... please stop now.

As long as there are people bitching about how it's not fair and how they should be losing faster on the minuscule amount of calories they eat there will be people trying to explain to them why they're maybe not losing weight as fast enough as they think they should. And there should be people making clear that there is no evil magic that prevents people from losing weight faster and hopefully they won't stop pointing this out.

I don't need someone telling me how to lose - I'm doing it. SLOWLY.

Nobody is telling you how to lose or how fast to lose.

12 minutes ago, LadyVS said:

Our surgery days are literally a day apart. I weighed in at 200.8 before surgery and have only lost 14 pounds, and you have lost 27. That is exactly what the OP was talking about. I know we aren't suppose to compare, but we are all suppose to being doing essentially the same things. Yes, out body build and genes are different, but still IT'S FREAKING DISCOURAGING when I am working so hard at this. It makes you feel like you don't know wtf you're doing even though you do because heck, you have done this ish before especially if you are a revision person like myself. Anyway, congrats on the 27 pound lost and many more to come in the near future.🙂

Thanks for the encouragement! You'll catch up to me because I'm only losing about 2 pounds a week now. I wonder if the difference is that I had a bypass and you had a sleeve?

7 minutes ago, summerset said:

Of course it's ok. It's also ok when people say that they don't want to get to a BMI of below 25. However, there are also quite a few people complaining about losing "too slowly" and some of them act like it is some kind of evil magic that prevents them from losing faster.

As long as there are people bitching about how it's not fair and how they should be losing faster on the minuscule amount of calories they eat there will be people trying to explain to them why they're maybe not losing weight as fast enough as they think they should. And there should be people making clear that there is no evil magic that prevents people from losing weight faster and hopefully they won't stop pointing this out.

Nobody is telling you how to lose or how fast to lose.

You have already stated SEVERAL times how you feel - you have made your point. This thread is for people who would like to talk about their slow weight loss. How many times do you have to be asked to stop putting forward your opinions? Go and make your own thread about your viewpoints. People can b***h and moan as much as they want - it's not up to you to tell them they can't.

I have decided between the support on this post along with the rational explanations, I no longer think I am a slow loser. I think that I am doing well enough and the way I am losing is helping my skin shrink along with the rest of me. I didn't get fat in one day and it won't take one day to lose it. When I had my VBG in 1998 I lost very quickly but I was also 33 and not 54. I also exercised like crazy and not so much this time. I really think the up in calories is helping move things in the right direction, but I am going to stick at the level (800 ish cal. a day) for awhile. I am afraid to go to 1200 to 1400 like they advised.

1 hour ago, JRT Mom said:

Thanks for the encouragement! You'll catch up to me because I'm only losing about 2 pounds a week now. I wonder if the difference is that I had a bypass and you had a sleeve?

That's a good point. That is also something we "slow losers" should consider, the type of surgery each of us have had.

After taking my time and literally reading every post on here, I'm going to say this for myself: When I first had wls in 2010, it was with the lapband. I am what you would call a "vet" as I have another login that followed my journey at that time. It took me 2 1/2 years to lose 99 pounds and it was established then by my doctor that I would be a "slow loser". I didn't like it, but I accepted it.

Second time around, it was again established by my new doctor, "You are going to lose even more slowly than you did with the band." I didn't believe him, but here I am at almost two months postop and have only lost 14 pounds. I initially lost 10 pounds during the preop diet but after surgery, I gained it back. Not trying to but by simply following my doctor's orders. He said that he doesn't even consider the first month and to keep following my plan. Well, I was only two pounds down at my month weigh in by just following his plan and it was VERY DISCOURAGING. So I took it upon myself to do something different and it's working. I am a slow loser, IT'S NOT A MYTH contrary to other's opinions. I am happy that I am losing and NOT GAINING. It just gets very discouraging that you are losing weight slowly rather than quickly. It's totally a mind thing. I lost a LOT OF INCHES in the first month and I posted that in my topic in the revision section. When I first saw this topic this morning, it made me very happy to see someone else felt defeated at times like myself. I had no idea that I would be reading about all this other stuff, but hey it's all good. I have learned new information that's for sure. I lose weight at a significantly slower rate than the average person and I realize now, I AM OKAY WITH THAT!!! Good day all.

Edited by LadyVS

On 1/9/2020 at 11:34 PM, sisternewt@yahoo.com said:

Just wanted to weigh in. Haha!

Made me laugh! TY for that!

On 01/11/2020 at 08:07, Fatboyslim1 said:

Capy - would it be possible for you to fill out your stats profile and also keep this thread up to date on your progress. You seem to be the perfect example of how "women in particular" struggle with "slow weight loss" .

Your contemporaneous progress would be great for people who are struggling, to watch. You write very well and seem to be engaged with the community, and it would be very helpful.

I for one am very interested to know if you were on a pre surgery diet, and if so how long and how much did you lose.

luck!

I was on pre op liquid diet for 2 weeks. I lost 12-15 lbs (depends who’s scale you ask) I am also certain a good amount of it was Water weight

I am starting to wonder if my weight loss in general slowed down because I went from working out like crazy to a more sedentary lifestyle post op. (Yeah, yeah CICO 🙄😆) I did spin today . Felt amazing to get back to a more normal schedule

——————
I’ve never had an issue losing weight but I’ve had issues with bingeing, especially when stalls hit. I am working with a psych during this journey. She had WLS and eating disorders and said this tool can truly help

I guess I should come to terms that I’m not realistic with how fast my numbers should be dropping haha it’s just insanely frustrating when I see Brittany over there melting away and I’m like oh , joy more Protein Shakes and the scale doesn’t want to budge hahaha. Meanwhile, before surgery, I could eat and lose weight faster than purées and Protein drinks( but I was also working out). I’m not hating VSG . I definitely need the tool and the lifestyle change for long term just frustrating at the beginning phase