Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

THE SLOW LOSERS CLUB SUPPORT THREAD

On 1/4/2020 at 10:34 PM, Serengirl said:

I think the holiday were tough for most but for the first time in my life I ended them down in weight vs up so I consider that a huge success. @fluffyChix I have lost 34 lbs and I am just under 5’6 and thank you for all of your amazing advice and support- I learn so much from you. I think as far as working the plan goes my RN gave me diff advice than my nutritionist vs my Dr so I’m so confused and believe me I pointed it out to all three. That said the one thing I haven’t done is break my meals into 3 meals and two Snacks or basically 5 small meals. 1 I have never liked eating often and two I know when you are insulin resistant that the more times you eat the more you spike your blood sugar so I eat three times a day but it takes me sooooo long to get through any drink that isn’t Water that I have timed myself and it has actually taken me three hours to get thru a Protein Shake which I must have to meet my Protein goals. So I’m wondering if maybe forcing myself to eat 5 times a day is what my body wants so it doesn’t freak out and hold onto weight? Would love people’s thoughts on this. Especially since now I am up to working out 7 days a week and have started doing 2xday a couple of days a week. In that case do I add more calories? More carbs? It’s so confusing

To the contrary. Eating several small meals per day will help to keep your bs stable. Worst thing for bs is to skip meals and only eat one or two larger meals.

give it a shot and see how it goes.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:14 PM, Chardonnay40 said:

Now that I can do the elliptical, I am hoping to start losing more. I am satisfied with my current loss even though its slow. I have lost more inches than anything. I was a tight 22/24 and I can fit into an 18/20 and 22/24's are too baggy.

Great thread btw!

I wouldn't call 42lbs in 6 weeks slow!!! lol it is melting off you.

7 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

To the contrary. Eating several small meals per day will help to keep your bs stable. Worst thing for bs is to skip meals and only eat one or two larger meals.

give it a shot and see how it goes.

Actually a non diabetic with insulin resistance should be fasting between meals not eating more often as it spikes blood sugar levels which then gets converted to fat and then fat gets stored via gluconeogenesis in the liver.

So fasting is the way to go not eating more often. @Serengirl ;)

Edited by Bastian

2 hours ago, Bastian said:

Actually a non diabetic with insulin resistance should be fasting between meals not eating more often as it spikes blood sugar levels which then gets converted to fat and then fat gets stored via gluconeogenesis in the liver.

Right I was not implying that a diabetic should snack between meals. Like I said they should definitely not fast and eat smaller meals at regular intervals.

diabetes runs heavily in my family. I was my moms caretaker before she recently passed for the last 15 years. Been to many nutrition and diabetic support classes.

eating one or two larger meals is not what a diabetic should do at all. Several smaller meals keep bs stable

i myself have been on every diet known to man. The one that I lost the most weight and felt my best was the GI Diet. We ate small portions of low GI foods every 3 hours or so. That is based on glycemic index and is how it is recommended for a diabetic to eat.

Edited by Losingit2018

straight from the ada

Diabetics should eat 4-5 small meals during the day instead of three larger meals, says the American Diabetes Association (ADA). This practice allows for a slower, continuous absorption of food, which prevents your body from ever switching over to a fasting state.

Among the benefits are decreased blood sugar levels after meals, reduced insulin requirements during the course of the day and lower blood cholesterol levels.

Eating several small meals may also decrease your hunger and reduce the overall number of calories you eat during the day.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:38 AM, Serengirl said:

So today’s rant/ of one more person says calories in vs calories out I will scream because it’s bull crap. I track everything that I eat and drink I also track how much I burn and I average 3000 deficit every single day. At that rate I should drop 6 lbs a week!!! I have never dropped that much except my first week and one other week back when I was sick and it’s drives me crazy. It’s an emotional blow when I work so hard and then lose 1 pound or worse no weight what so ever week after week. I’m just feeling super angry and upset bec this happened before surgery so why did I even go through this?!! To push and to workout and drink all of my Water eat all of my Protein barely eat any calories, and still not drop a single frogging pound?!? bleeeeeeo bleeping bleep!!! I am just frigging over it to the point of despair. I’m only human and feel cursed that this isn’t working for me and I’m at a loss for what to do. At this rate I’ll reach my goal
Weight in 2024 MAYBE!!! 😫😫😫😫😫😫🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

For a young/fit person with no health issues who also takes no medication that can 'blur' the picture, I personally feel that 'calories in vs. calories out' can be much more easily tracked and trusted as an 'indicator'.

That being said, after years of watching Dr. Now on my 600 Pound Life, I've seen him bust several people who were actually NOT tracking/weighing/truly accounting what their 'in' vs their 'out' was. I remember he didn't even really get into it with most of them on what their 'calories out' calculation was - he just focused on the 'in part' but I am in NO WAY comparing these patients that we could EASILY see for ourselves were sabotaging their weight loss efforts by simply continuing their food addiction that they were still choosing to NOT address.

I am also a slow loser. I've hit that magical age...went into menopause at 40, take meds that interfere with weight loss, etc. etc. etc. I cannot remember if you posted about this, but when I went back to the nutritionist and my surgeon complaining about slow weight loss, I was shocked when they told me to UP my carbs and my calories. I was like 'say what??"...I'm hardly losing right now why would I want to INCREASE anything.

I think I even vented on a thread and ppl like Fluffychix, etc. pointed out that maybe I should listen to my surgeon/nutritionist and gave it a try. I up'd my numbers and within a week while I was not losing much more quickly than I had been, my body was given a bit of a shake up...and my numbers picked up weekly for me. Just seeing ANY improvement, whether I was losing maybe 1 lb more a week or really....since my body likes to do a 3 week stall followed by a 3 to 5..sometimes 6 lb weight loss...my overall 'monthly number of pounds lost" did start improving.

It was NOTHING that would make me one of the fast losers...but the fact that I actually increased my calories from 600-700 a day to be 800 instead...and increased my carbs from LESS THAN 30 (usually hit 20 grams or less) to 60 (YES SIXTY)....my body basically..needed to be shaken up. There is much written about 'set points' and a whole bunch of other physiological data that proves there is science behind these set points we get stuck at. I think Dr. Weiner's videos address some of these....I'd have to get Fluffychix's thoughts on this but I know she has a wealth of knowledge accumulated in that beautiful head of hers.

Because I'm now 6 months out and my weight loss is still slow...I know I have one thing in my control that has been set aside this past week - exercise....but I'm going to start exploring IF. I think you mentioned that prior to surgery you were doing intermittent fasting and maybe something else (can't remember) and your weight loss was more back then (although the more we lose/have lost overall, it seems.the harder it is to get the remainder off) . I know Fluffy mentioned a couple of months ago that I was still a bit early out to be thinking about IF...or maybe another poster mentioned, but that is the next thing I'm looking at as my body, for DECADES has ALWAYS managed to adapt to whatever method I was using to lose weight and in my mind, it went into survival mode and decided "thou shalt not lose any more weight". So I know I need to adjust/shake things up when I truly KNOW and can document I am doing the right things...but nothing is happening. I also know I need to wait until nothing has literally happened for at least 3 to 4 weeks before I concern myself with a 'shake up' in what I'm doing.

Keep staying the course...and maybe ignore the peeps talking about in vs. out as there are SO many variables that can cloud this..whether there are things we are missing or actual variables like health, age, medical conditions, medication, body set points, metabolic resistance, etc. - and talk with your nutritionist about what are some changes they might recommend based on your personal history and where you are at...

On 1/5/2020 at 9:14 AM, Cheeseburgh said:

@Serengirl I checked my stats. I lost 34.8 pounds at my 3 month mark. Are you on any medications? I talked to my Dr after I read about a medication I was on (beta blocker) caused weight gain, I switched meds and it helped speed up my metabolism a bit. It wasn’t dramatic but it did help.

I also switched up my diet and ate pretty clean for 3 months and avoided processed food. Keep moving, journal everything you eat and research any medications you are taking.

No but I do have PCOS and endometriosis and I am insulin resistant. I used to be Hypo thyroid and right around surgery it was fine and I am due for my blood test because it changes often so I might have to go back on meds for that (my dr took me off ) if its out of balance now.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:51 AM, Fatboyslim1 said:

Ok, get ready to scream. I believe the above is the kind of post that causes harm to all of our chances, as it quite frankly clouds the simple science of what we all attempting . The statement that one can run a 3000 calorie a day deficit for weeks and weeks and not lose a pound is simply ludicrous.

Call the CDC and donate your body to science. Call CNN and tell the world how you have changed the fundemental laws of physics, nature and energy.

But please dont go on a web forum that is full of people tying to make their lives better, and make them think there just might be some reason, other than eating too much, for why they are not losing weight, and even worse, gaining weight.

Sure steroids make you hungry (which means you eat more) and Water retention Adds temporary weight, but to portend that you for some reason are exempt from all known and logical facts is not doing anyone any good. Especially you.

feel free to scream away.

we can agree to disagree and this is a place for those who dont lose in a typical fashion I am losing slowly I NEVER said i haven't lost any weight at all but I can indeed go weeks and weeks without losing and since all of my food is premeasured by the containers i buy them in- eg. premiere shakes- i know their exact calorie counts. In fact except for having sushi maybe once a week all of my food (greek yogurt, cottage cheese, premiere shakes) comes in pre measured packets for that very reason so I CANNOT underestimate or overestimate my food amounts. So feel free to hit up another thread if you dont agree. Also please dont tell ME WHAT TO DO or not to do. Its my G-d given right to have my opinion and last i checked I live in a free country where speech is a constitutional right.... I am entitled to be frustrated and feel overwhelmed. I am HUMAN. Hence this thread is a Support thread - not a "please dont type something I don't want to read because Im a snowflake thread" Feel free to not visit this thread at all if it offends you so much.

Edited by Serengirl

On 1/5/2020 at 11:27 AM, summerset said:

They simply don't have this kind of deficit, even though if they sometimes might think they have.

To have a 3000 kcal deficit a day one must have a really high TDEE. People usually have much smaller deficits than this and therefore of course don't lose 7 lbs a week. Even if one is eating only 500 kcal a day that means a TDEE of 3500 kcal minimum a day and we're usually not talking about the 186 cm tall, 25 year old very active male on this board.

Most people overestimate the amount of calories they're burning and underestimate the amount of energy they're consuming. Even if people are "measuring everything" - how do people measure? Cups and spoons or gram?

In my case i measure by using only packed food. Premiere shakes, cottage cheese yogurt, all in individual sizes. I eat pretty much the same thing almost every day.

9 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

For a young/fit person with no health issues who also takes no medication that can 'blur' the picture, I personally feel that 'calories in vs. calories out' can be much more easily tracked and trusted as an 'indicator'.

That being said, after years of watching Dr. Now on my 600 Pound Life, I've seen him bust several people who were actually NOT tracking/weighing/truly accounting what their 'in' vs their 'out' was. I remember he didn't even really get into it with most of them on what their 'calories out' calculation was - he just focused on the 'in part' but I am in NO WAY comparing these patients that we could EASILY see for ourselves were sabotaging their weight loss efforts by simply continuing their food addiction that they were still choosing to NOT address.

I am also a slow loser. I've hit that magical age...went into menopause at 40, take meds that interfere with weight loss, etc. etc. etc. I cannot remember if you posted about this, but when I went back to the nutritionist and my surgeon complaining about slow weight loss, I was shocked when they told me to UP my carbs and my calories. I was like 'say what??"...I'm hardly losing right now why would I want to INCREASE anything.

I think I even vented on a thread and ppl like Fluffychix, etc. pointed out that maybe I should listen to my surgeon/nutritionist and gave it a try. I up'd my numbers and within a week while I was not losing much more quickly than I had been, my body was given a bit of a shake up...and my numbers picked up weekly for me. Just seeing ANY improvement, whether I was losing maybe 1 lb more a week or really....since my body likes to do a 3 week stall followed by a 3 to 5..sometimes 6 lb weight loss...my overall 'monthly number of pounds lost" did start improving.

It was NOTHING that would make me one of the fast losers...but the fact that I actually increased my calories from 600-700 a day to be 800 instead...and increased my carbs from LESS THAN 30 (usually hit 20 grams or less) to 60 (YES SIXTY)....my body basically..needed to be shaken up. There is much written about 'set points' and a whole bunch of other physiological data that proves there is science behind these set points we get stuck at. I think Dr. Weiner's videos address some of these....I'd have to get Fluffychix's thoughts on this but I know she has a wealth of knowledge accumulated in that beautiful head of hers.

Because I'm now 6 months out and my weight loss is still slow...I know I have one thing in my control that has been set aside this past week - exercise....but I'm going to start exploring IF. I think you mentioned that prior to surgery you were doing intermittent fasting and maybe something else (can't remember) and your weight loss was more back then (although the more we lose/have lost overall, it seems.the harder it is to get the remainder off) . I know Fluffy mentioned a couple of months ago that I was still a bit early out to be thinking about IF...or maybe another poster mentioned, but that is the next thing I'm looking at as my body, for DECADES has ALWAYS managed to adapt to whatever method I was using to lose weight and in my mind, it went into survival mode and decided "thou shalt not lose any more weight". So I know I need to adjust/shake things up when I truly KNOW and can document I am doing the right things...but nothing is happening. I also know I need to wait until nothing has literally happened for at least 3 to 4 weeks before I concern myself with a 'shake up' in what I'm doing.

Keep staying the course...and maybe ignore the peeps talking about in vs. out as there are SO many variables that can cloud this..whether there are things we are missing or actual variables like health, age, medical conditions, medication, body set points, metabolic resistance, etc. - and talk with your nutritionist about what are some changes they might recommend based on your personal history and where you are at...

You make some excellent points and have some great advice... I think i wa shaving a really bad day- we all do and I needed to vent which is why i created this thread and i appreciate your thoughtful but also helpful feedback.

14 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

straight from the ada

Diabetics should eat 4-5 small meals during the day instead of three larger meals, says the American Diabetes Association (ADA). This practice allows for a slower, continuous absorption of food, which prevents your body from ever switching over to a fasting state.

Among the benefits are decreased blood sugar levels after meals, reduced insulin requirements during the course of the day and lower blood cholesterol levels.

Eating several small meals may also decrease your hunger and reduce the overall number of calories you eat during the day.

Thank you for this, I am trying this now- started this week and Ill keep this up for a few weeks and see how it goes.

17 hours ago, Bastian said:

I guess I am just going to experiment- eating a few meals over the course of the day for a few weeks and then switch and have less... Might as well right? thank you so much for the advice. I am going to have to do more research. in the past IF did really well for me BUT that was before VSG

3 minutes ago, Serengirl said:

In my case i measure by using only packed food. Premiere shakes, cottage cheese yogurt, all in individual sizes. I eat pretty much the same thing almost every day.

As long as you don't know how many calories you burn in a day you still don't know how high your deficit is. Energy needs vary big time between individuals.

If you're not losing "enough" weight on the amount of calories you eat, your deficit is smaller than you think. Why your energy expenditure is what it is... who knows. You seem to have a lot of medical stuff going on that have effects on your energy expenditure.

Good morning everyone! I am SO glad I found this forum. I have been in what seems to be 3 month stall. Trying not to get frustrated but I am. I am going to see a Bariatrician at the end of this month to see what's going on. I have changed the way I eat and exercise but to no avail. What are some things you all do when you experience stalls?

22 minutes ago, Corlissak said:

Good morning everyone! I am SO glad I found this forum. I have been in what seems to be 3 month stall. Trying not to get frustrated but I am. I am going to see a Bariatrician at the end of this month to see what's going on. I have changed the way I eat and exercise but to no avail. What are some things you all do when you experience stalls?

Eat less calories , because it is the ONLY THING that controls your weight +/- a small percentage.