Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

THE SLOW LOSERS CLUB SUPPORT THREAD

I am three weeks post-op. I lost 18 my first week and ZERO in week 2 and 3. I'm so frustrated and trying to trust the body knows what it's doing. I track my food, Water, etc. The only thing I haven't started yet is an exercise plan. I've decided to do weight checks on a monthly basis so I don't get disappointed if I don't lose one week.

Hey SLs so the scale didn't budge today. However instead of being sad I went shopping in my closet! The cute outfits I have from 10 yrs ago fit again and some are too big.

This process is everything remember that. The scale isn't our only indicator.

Woo!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks, Chardonnay40! Sometimes we need to be reminded that this whole journey just isn't about the pounds on the scale.

1 hour ago, Lynda486 said:

Yes, it's inches lost, smaller clothes, more energy, less pain.

OMG the pain in feet and ankles is gone. I walk faster, Im not afraid of stairs. Its wonderful!

I am with you. And I was told my weightloss may be slow since I had a conversion. But it doesn't make it any easier. I am not doing what I should be anymore either. I got tired of counting everything & not seeing the results I thought I should be seeing. I need some encouragement for real!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Before surgery, I found the slower I lost weight the longer I kept it off. As long as the needle moves slowly in the right direction, I’m happy. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Also, most people, like my surgeon, think I’m losing faster than average. I don’t think the people who are really sabotaging themselves post here unless they want to change.

I think the holiday were tough for most but for the first time in my life I ended them down in weight vs up so I consider that a huge success. @fluffyChix I have lost 34 lbs and I am just under 5’6 and thank you for all of your amazing advice and support- I learn so much from you. I think as far as working the plan goes my RN gave me diff advice than my nutritionist vs my Dr so I’m so confused and believe me I pointed it out to all three. That said the one thing I haven’t done is break my meals into 3 meals and two Snacks or basically 5 small meals. 1 I have never liked eating often and two I know when you are insulin resistant that the more times you eat the more you spike your blood sugar so I eat three times a day but it takes me sooooo long to get through any drink that isn’t Water that I have timed myself and it has actually taken me three hours to get thru a Protein Shake which I must have to meet my Protein goals. So I’m wondering if maybe forcing myself to eat 5 times a day is what my body wants so it doesn’t freak out and hold onto weight? Would love people’s thoughts on this. Especially since now I am up to working out 7 days a week and have started doing 2xday a couple of days a week. In that case do I add more calories? More carbs? It’s so confusing

@ Trista and Nikki I hear ya. Nikki your body is probably just freaking out because you did just lose 85% of your stomach ... and that’s a great idea about monthly checks I wish I could do that. I’m not doing it every day but the thought of not checking more than once in a month and then not really lose and then feel regret I didn’t know sooner so I could adjust my plan would drive me nuts. That said that scale can make or break my spirit

So today’s rant/ of one more person says calories in vs calories out I will scream because it’s bull crap. I track everything that I eat and drink I also track how much I burn and I average 3000 deficit every single day. At that rate I should drop 6 lbs a week!!! I have never dropped that much except my first week and one other week back when I was sick and it’s drives me crazy. It’s an emotional blow when I work so hard and then lose 1 pound or worse no weight what so ever week after week. I’m just feeling super angry and upset bec this happened before surgery so why did I even go through this?!! To push and to workout and drink all of my Water eat all of my Protein barely eat any calories, and still not drop a single frogging pound?!? bleeeeeeo bleeping bleep!!! I am just frigging over it to the point of despair. I’m only human and feel cursed that this isn’t working for me and I’m at a loss for what to do. At this rate I’ll reach my goal
Weight in 2024 MAYBE!!! 😫😫😫😫😫😫🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

@Serengirl, I was going to let that go, but of course, it's crap. Many things can skew it, tons of illnesses. Thyroid issues. PCOS. Tons of medications. Water consumption. Stress. Even sleep. Very little is actually known about it. If it was, we would all be on the same diet and it would work for everyone. Peer-reviewed journals like 'Obesity' have high impact factors because there is tons of interest in weight loss research.

Give it some time. You may be a slow loser and still lose all your access weight.

I didn't say anything because I'm trying to just let people be wrong and not worry about it, but when they are upsetting other people, like you, I'll say something.

I have always been a slow loser and I remember going through the initial process and speaking to the nutritionist and ultimately it’s going to come down to exercise for me. It seems as if I store everything, but I am hoping be to be at my goal by the 12-13 month mark. I notice when I amp up the exercise I lose a little more but for others dieting is all they need. I try not to compare anymore because I will only depress myself. After surgery our metabolism and genetic make up has not changed. Surgery is just a way to provide extra assistance.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches