Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is in 3 weeks but I’m wondering what I should pack. So far here is my plan- my favorite PJs, a thin robe, my house slippers (they are slides), fuzzy socks, chap stick, a lap blanket. I don’t start my supplemental Vitamins for two weeks post surgery, but I was going to bring those as well since the nutritionist will be visiting me before I leave.

Any other suggestions to make life easier? I’m only in one night PTL but I want it to be as comfortable as possible so that I can concentrate on recovery and what I’m supposed to be drinking.

I don't think I even brought PJ's - and they had me in a hospital gown anyway, so I wouldn't have needed them. They also gave me those skid-free socks to put on. A lot of people like Chapstick because their lips get really dry. Honestly, I slept most of the time I was there, so I really didn't need much of anything. My husband brought my laptop over, but I was too tired and "out of it" to use it. Other than my phone and a change of clothes to wear home, I don't think I used much. Oh - a lot of people like a pillow to hold over their stomach on the way home.....

I wore he same thing home that I wore to the hospital. I brought my phone and my toothbrush. I, like Catwoman, slept most of the time and only used my phone twice. I was in from Monday morning to Friday morning.

You won't need the PJs because they'll have you wired up to a heart monitor in the pocket of your hospital gown and it's hard to navigate to change into something else with that and your IV in your arm.

Chapstick is a good idea.

You shouldn't need a blanket.

I also brought: chapstick, cell phone with charger, toothbrush, toothpaste and body lotion (your skin dehydrates after surgery).

Like others reported, I pretty much slept the whole time I was in the hospital.

I wore comfy clothes there (leggings and fleece shirt), and wore the same outfit home. I brought my toothbrush, chapstick, and my phone. I also brought jammies, but never wore them.

22 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

You won't need the PJs because they'll have you wired up to a heart monitor in the pocket of your hospital gown and it's hard to navigate to change into something else with that and your IV in your arm.

Chapstick is a good idea.

You shouldn't need a blanket.

I also brought: chapstick, cell phone with charger, toothbrush, toothpaste and body lotion (your skin dehydrates after surgery).

I like the lotion idea. I got some good smelling stuff for Christmas from Bath and Body- it’s called Hello Beautiful. Uplifting and smells good- yes please!

25 minutes ago, ChubRub said:

Like others reported, I pretty much slept the whole time I was in the hospital.

I wore comfy clothes there (leggings and fleece shirt), and wore the same outfit home. I brought my toothbrush, chapstick, and my phone. I also brought jammies, but never wore them.

Off topic- I noticed you recently had surgery. How is your recovery going? My husband is getting wishy washy on me now that it’s closer and trying to fill my head with noise about the pain and stuff. Just curious.

I packed lotion, chapstick, a book, toiletries , and comfy clothes.
The first day is brutal. All I wanted to do was sleep - walk to move gas - sleep some more. Day 2, still kinda shitty . Didn’t want to do much besides move a little more and sleep. By day 3, things start feeling better but I went home. So really, I didn’t need anything besides clothes and toothbrush .

42 minutes ago, TattooedSeaStar said:

Off topic- I noticed you recently had surgery. How is your recovery going? My husband is getting wishy washy on me now that it’s closer and trying to fill my head with noise about the pain and stuff. Just curious.

I feel great!! I previously had 3 c-sections, and this was nothing in comparison! The immediate post-surgery pain will be controlled with meds. That's why you will sleep so much in the hospital! LOL!! When you get home, you'll continue to need extra sleep, naps, etc. I'm 2 weeks out, and am at about 90% energy wise. Getting stronger every day. The pain was nothing, just be prepared for the fatigue, and enjoy those naps!!

I'm going to start my bag when I go in for my pre-op on the 17th, I need to do something with my anxious self. I think I will wear my same outfit home, bring my vaseline for my lips (sensitive skin), aromatherapy lotion (bath & body works), thicker socks, hygiene basics, charger /phone, travel blanket and pillow (personal comfort) and I'm still bringing my battery operated candle (soothing). Now if I will actually use it, who knows. I just don't like noise or bright light, especially when I'm in pain. So, I can see me listening to meditation music and turning that darn candle on to soothe my pain or cussing at my cousin's when they ask me do I want my candle on, lol.... I'm generally pretty zen and meditative when I feel stress or pain coming, something I started when my mom passed in 2013 to help me cope.

2 hours ago, ChubRub said:

I feel great!! I previously had 3 c-sections, and this was nothing in comparison! The immediate post-surgery pain will be controlled with meds. That's why you will sleep so much in the hospital! LOL!! When you get home, you'll continue to need extra sleep, naps, etc. I'm 2 weeks out, and am at about 90% energy wise. Getting stronger every day. The pain was nothing, just be prepared for the fatigue, and enjoy those naps!!

I have been wondering if it would feel worse than a c-section!!!! This puts me at ease because my c-section left me totally traumatized concerning surgery in general. I absolutely hated it and WAS NOT prepared cause it was an emergency c-section.

The only things I actually used were the chapstick and earbuds with my cellphone. (My roommate was a loud snorer so I listened to music while sleeping) The hospital I was at provided chapstick, lotion, socks, toothbrush and toothpaste. Changed back into clothes I wore to hospital to go home.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, cutebutcrzy said:

The only things I actually used were the chapstick and earbuds with my cellphone. (My roommate was a loud snorer so I listened to music while sleeping) The hospital I was at provided chapstick, lotion, socks, toothbrush and toothpaste. Changed back into clothes I wore to hospital to go home.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Roommate? Oh dear lord I hadn’t considered that. I thought they were doing away with that in hospitals due to HIPPA, but I’m going to an older hospital so who knows!

One thing I brought that was helpful (outside the other items mentioned above) was an eye mask for sleeping.
Oh also I am so happy I brought large pillow from home that I used along my left side for support- that was the side my larger incision from which they removed the portion of my stomach (so the more painful of the incisions) and also the side that my IV was placed. I had a terrible go if it with IV lines and they ended up having to do ultrasound guided placement of a line higher up above my elbow which made it critical for me to keep that arm straight - hence having that pillow was a life saver.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

16 hours ago, TattooedSeaStar said:

And you don't live with pain from obesity?

A few days of pain for a whole new life I think is a good deal :)

also if you didn't like pain then children would never be born into this world..