Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost / Gained 100 Pounds

23 hours ago, NewYorkButterfly said:

This is my biggest fear, starting to rethink it now. I am so sorry this is happening to you! I only have 1 month left to go until surgery. 😢😢😢

I am not trying to discourage anyone. If you want to do the surgery, just don't make the types of bad choices that I did. I thought of the sleeve as an alternative to watching what I eat. I lost weight that way for a year, only eating as much as the sleeve allowed me to eat. But I should have purposefully changed my eating habits from the beginning - and I should have when I stopped losing weight - and I should have when I started gaining weight.

I think hat happened for me was that my cousin and my best friend had gastric bypass about ten years ago. Less than five years later they both started gaining weight. I had another friend who had great success with the lapband and one who ended up in the hospital for months and nearly died. After reviewing all three types of bariatric surgeries but what really helped me that was due to one insurance difficulty after another, it took two years to get my surgery but I started modifying my eating habits and exercising. regularly. The hardest thing is learning to stop eating when I start to feel full but I know that if I don't adequately learn that habit I will be sunk so I an really trying. I am so terrified of failing especially since I have been losing the weight so much more slowly then I was at the beginning.

On 1/17/2020 at 6:39 PM, Shparks said:

I am not trying to discourage anyone. If you want to do the surgery, just don't make the types of bad choices that I did. I thought of the sleeve as an alternative to watching what I eat.

I do not think your discouraging anyone, I for one am glad your sharing your story since it is this very same topic (reversal of weight loss) that gave me cold feet last year when I was only 1 week before my schedule surgery.

The surgeon I was seeing last year was in fact pushing the procedure as an alternative to watching what I eat since I had failed with everything else. I was told that the sleeve removes the part of the stomach that makes you feel hungry, thus the post-procedure you have a tiny stomach with the removal of the part that makes you feel hungry thus no more overeating.

I have now learned this is totally FALSE, I have met several people who are exactly in the same situation, lost all the weight post-surgery then a slow return to pre-surgery weight within a year or less. However, I have also learned the surgical procedure is not a “one and done” fix, and for those who think it is will eventually fail.

The surgery is only a tool, and for this tool to work “as advertised” it must be used properly meaning a mandatory lifelong change in how we think about food, our diet and our food consumption habits.

1 hour ago, VIN_IN_AL said:

I was told that the sleeve removes the part of the stomach that makes you feel hungry, thus the post-procedure you have a tiny stomach with the removal of the part that makes you feel hungry thus no more overeating.

I actually did find the first part of this to be true. For a long time I never felt physically hungry. However, I still gained the weight back because the desire to eat has nothing to do with hunger for me. If the doctors believe that removing hunger is a cure for overeating, then they do not really understand overeating.

On 02/16/2020 at 14:36, Shparks said:

I actually did find the first part of this to be true. For a long time I never felt physically hungry. However, I still gained the weight back because the desire to eat has nothing to do with hunger for me. If the doctors believe that removing hunger is a cure for overeating, then they do not really understand overeating.

YouTube or podcast search: Dr Robert Cywes. He’s a Bariatric surgeon that understands overeating has nothing to do with hunger. He says overeating and snacking are emotional not physical. And to lose the weight you have to address any issues and have a plan for “cravings”. Like others, he reiterates the sleeve is a tool not a cure