Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Pain Medications Are Prescribed

Hello All,

my surgery is scheduled for 01/28 and im nervous about the pain being that my tolerance for pain is very low and pain medicine don’t really work well unless its a strong medicine or i take more than recommend(which i think is due to my size). I’ve had my gallbladder removed and that pain was almost unbearable so the thought that this surgery could possibly be more painful scares me. What pain meds were you sent home with? How long were you in pain? I dont want to be bed ridden for more than a week due to pain I want to be able to be almost back to normal within 2-3 weeks.

Pain management is best discussed ahead of time with your Surgeon

Find out the plan and if it can be adjusted as needed - very important

A lot of providers are now weary to (over) prescribe narcotics due the opioid crisis

Good Luck ❤️

5 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

above should end this topic - I agree with above

However there is not a ton of pain with this surgery so do not panic

6 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Find out the plan and if it can be adjusted as needed - very important

A lot of providers are now weary to (over) prescribe narcotics due the opioid crisis

Good Luck ❤️

Thank you im so scared of the pain i wish there was a way to have a pain free surgery 💜

1 hour ago, AJ Tylo said:

above should end this topic - I agree with above

However there is not a ton of pain with this surgery so do not panic

I Hope Not Thank You 💜

I got oxy and ibuprofen and was told to alternate those two with tylenol, taking the oxy only for breakthrough pain. I didn't need it after day 3.

They prescribed me tramadol , but I didn't take any. Surgery didnt hurt. incisions are small, and you don't have any internal components with those types of nerve endings. You might have some bloating pain, but it is typically transient.

best of luck!

7 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

I second GreenTealeal's advice and only add info on my personal experience:

I was given a prescription for Tramadol, but never filled it. I took tylenol as needed for pain but only needed it for 3 or 4 days.

people are all across the board with pain from surgery, but just based on hanging out on these boards for the last few years, I would stay most people have little to no pain from this surgery. If you're one of the unfortunate ones who does, then just keep on top of it with whatever drug your surgeon prescribes. I think I had liquid oxycodone, but I never took any. I had almost no pain.

If it helps any, I had ZERO pain. I never took any of the pain meds in the hospital after surgery and they sent me home with something like Hydrocodone (Tylenol 3) but I NEVER used any of it. There was no pain ever.

Thank you all your easing my mind tremendously 💜

I also had zero pain from this surgery - not even gas pain. I was prescribed a few days of low-dose Percocet, which I did not take.

Ask if your surgeon can use exparel. It is injected at the incision sites and does a great job in reducing pain after surgery. Just something to ask when you meet with them. Don't be afraid to let them know you have low threshold for pain. They will ask you on scale of 1 to 10 what your comfort level is that you can tolerate before you need pain med. For me that is a 4, but if for you that if it is lower then tell them that. If offered pain med take it! Don't wait until you need it as that will be too late because you will have to wait for it to kick in. Don't chase pain, stay ahead of it! At least until you have healed for a bit and are feeling comfortable.

On 1/2/2020 at 1:04 PM, Uomograsso said:

Ask if your surgeon can use exparel. It is injected at the incision sites and does a great job in reducing pain after surgery. Just something to ask when you meet with them. Don't be afraid to let them know you have low threshold for pain. They will ask you on scale of 1 to 10 what your comfort level is that you can tolerate before you need pain med. For me that is a 4, but if for you that if it is lower then tell them that. If offered pain med take it! Don't wait until you need it as that will be too late because you will have to wait for it to kick in. Don't chase pain, stay ahead of it! At least until you have healed for a bit and are feeling comfortable.

An you tell me more about exparel?

38 minutes ago, drzrx said:

An you tell me more about exparel?

The only thing I know is that it is a numbing agent they use at the incision sites. Lasts for about 3 days. Based off my surgery on 1/16 my incisions never hurt more than a 3 or 4 on a scale of one to ten.