Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have no idea if I will suffer Hair loss from my most recent surgery, it was just a thought as I suspected a possible link but I have no real information about it. I am crossing my fingers that in 3 months, nothing happens and I will still retain the hair I currently have!

I haven’t lost any hair. Almost 4 months out.

21 hours ago, sarahSingh91 said:

I haven’t lost any hair. Almost 4 months

That is awesome! I hope it stays that way for you. It usually starts between 3-6 months post op

I also take Biotin and I use an oil sent from my in-laws from India. And I only wash my hair every 3 days to keep my natural oils

2 hours ago, sarahSingh91 said:

I also take Biotin and I use an oil sent from my in-laws from India. And I only wash my hair every 3 days to keep my natural oils

I take 10,000 MG of Biotin but I have read that it really doesn't do much. That's really cool that your in-laws sent you some oil. India is known for having wonderful oils for hair, skin, and cooking! I wash my hair about every 4-7 days. I have very curly hair. It is around 3b or 3c curl category.

Hello, I am new to the forum. About a year ago (05/17/2019) I had my gastric sleeve, I lost 90 kilos in a year, the doctor is very happy, but not me because I have lost almost 90% of my hair, after two months of my operation it started to fall and never stopped. I should have bought a wig. It is very sad, before I did not want to go out because I was very fat (170kg) and now because I have no hair. Even with the wig I feel observed and I feel insecure. Everyone tells me that "you are so well", but I know they realize that my hair is not mine. At home I always wear a hat. I take Multivitamins, but there are no changes. It's hard, really hard.

5 hours ago, Maria Isabel said:

I take Multivitamins, but there are no changes. It's hard, really hard.

I am really sorry to hear about your struggle. I am sure that it is very hard to cope with. I suggest getting full bloodwork done. Despite taking your Vitamins, you may be deficient in something and that could be the reason your hair hasn't grown back.

@Maria Isabel I agree 100% with this post:

29 minutes ago, PlanetHopper said:

I am really sorry to hear about your struggle. I am sure that it is very hard to cope with. I suggest getting full bloodwork done.

Depending on the brand of your Multivitamin, you may not be getting the specific nutrients for Hair growth. Another thought, maybe you have a medical condition that affects your hair like hypothyroidism. Definitely discuss with your doctor and get a full panel of bloodwork to rule everything out.

I also struggle with fine, thin hair. Here's some suggestions:

• Find a supplement designed for healthy hair. Caution: There are LOTS of companies out there that claim their vitamins/supplements give you full, lush hair. They can get VERY expensive, so approach with skepticism and do your homework before investing.
  • Consider how your hair care routine is affecting your hair: type of Shampoo and the frequency you shampoo can make a difference
  • Consider scalp oils and massage. I use 3 types of oils and make sure to do a deep scalp massage the night before I shampoo.
  • Consider occasional "hair masks" or treatments. I've done them, but not consistently. I noticed when I do take the time that my hair appears fuller and is more manageable for a few days afterward.
  • sleep on a silk pillowcase. Standard cases lead to increased breakage.

Just a warning: despite all of the above ^ as well as the countless others I've tried, my hair is still baby fine and thin. My Hair loss started after I gave birth to my first child. Having weight loss surgery certainly didn't help, but I wouldn't say it's directly responsible. Personally, I've resigned myself to it. My grandmother also had fine, thin hair and wore a wig for most of her adult life, so I've probably drawn the short straw in the genetics department.

Recently, I discovered TOPPERS. They're sort of a partial-wig that only goes on the top of your head. I just couldn't accept or tolerate a full wig and a good friend of mine is a hairdresser and she recommended that I get a hairpiece. Not just for vanity, but for my own confidence and mental health. I mean it does get tiresome spending every morning trying to strategically style your hair to hide the loss. So, I spent a lot of time on YouTube watching wig and topper videos and decided to take the plunge about 2 months ago. I could not be happier. I love it!

Best of luck!

I am majorly stressing about this Hair loss. I just finished my post pregnancy hair loss and now it’s falling out again. It is starting to look very sparse on the sides. I lucky have lots of hair but it’s very fine. I am 3 months post op so probably only at the beginning of the hair loss stage.
😓

Saddly it is horrible, Doctor said in one year the hair will grow....no, it isn't. Of course I am very please with my weight loss but I need to wear a wig..... then be ready, all the products that you can use in your hair, will be nothing, don't spend the money in them. But maybe you are lucky because you have lots of hair, finger cross. Be positive, maybe it is only me.

2 hours ago, Maria Isabel said:

Saddly it is horrible, Doctor said in one year the hair will grow....no, it isn't. Of course I am very please with my weight loss but I need to wear a wig..... then be ready, all the products that you can use in your hair, will be nothing, don't spend the money in them. But maybe you are lucky because you have lots of hair, finger cross. Be positive, maybe it is only me.

fortunately, that's pretty uncommon. Most people "shed" for three or four months, but often they're the only ones who notice it. Sorry that that happened to you!

15 hours ago, Shanto said:

I am 3 months post op so probably only at the beginning of the hair loss stage.
😓

My excess shedding started at 2 months and has slowed down now that I am around 5.5 months post-OP. I have heard that it usually grows back almost to the way it was.