Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Supplement’s and strengths needed for post menopausal gastric bypass patients

I had my surgery at 57, also post menopausal, and I just take the supplements recommended by my bariatric team. Nothing extra needed because we're post menopausal. I take Bariatric Advantage multi twice a day, 500 mg Calcium with D twice a day, and extra beta carotene because I'm deficient in Vitamin A. There is Iron in my multi. I also take 1000 micrograms B12 every other day. Most folks take B12 daily, but my levels are high.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 54 and menopausal. I switched to One a Day for my multi after I finished my initial BariMelts multi. I may switch back, but would like to see my first labs before I do. I also take Biotin, a cit-rate Calcium (chewable, twice a day) and an under the tongue Vitamin B , and I may add a seperate B 12 even though there is some in my other Vit B.

Edited by Lynda486

I'm 55 and one year post-sleeve and don't take anything extra than what the doctor recommended for all bariataric patients. I take a multi, B12, Calcium, and Vitamin D.

I'm 60 and had surgery after I'd already gone through menopause. No additional supplements above and beyond what was recommended for everyone else.

Had my bypass at age 63. I take the Bariatricpal multi with Iron, B-12 (500), calcium citrate (1000) and D3 (4,000). I was a little low in Vit D on my 6 month labs, so that is why I take 4,000 iu. I take the multi and B-12 with Breakfast and the Calcium and D3 with evening yogurt snack. Except for D3, all my 6 month labs were great. Hopefully all will be great next month for the 1 year set.

Have you had a Dexascan recently? Although mine was perfectly normal 3 years ago, when I had one done a few months ago, it showed osteopenia. Go figure. Apparently rapid weight loss can do this, but we really can't say it was due to WLS. So I am very faithful with my calcium and D3, and also trying to get aas much impact exercise in as I can.

Hooray for us post-menopausal women taking a later in-life leap and getting this new life!

I am two years post op. I was taking magnesium to help with restless legs before surgery so I kept that up. Initially I took a multi that I got from the BariatricPal Store here. Then as things settled in it became apparent I would need B12 supplement, and 6 mo later, it was clear I needed folic acid too. My surgeon proposed them. And recently my Iron has dipped so I take an iron/vitamin c combo tablet a couple of times a week (as I remember to).

It is funny - I see loads of folks saying they chose a sleeve not a bypass because of the Vitamin deficiencies - but it is so easily remedied! I am so so healthy now - I LOVE my new lease on my post-menopausal life!

7 minutes ago, Biddy zz 🏳️🌈 said:

Hooray for us post-menopausal women taking a later in-life leap and getting this new life!

I am two years post op. I was taking magnesium to help with restless legs before surgery so I kept that up. Initially I took a multi that I got from the BariatricPal Store here. Then as things settled in it became apparent I would need B12 supplement, and 6 mo later, it was clear I needed folic acid too. My surgeon proposed them. And recently my Iron has dipped so I take an iron/vitamin c combo tablet a couple of times a week (as I remember to).

It is funny - I see loads of folks saying they chose a sleeve not a bypass because of the Vitamin deficiencies - but it is so easily remedied! I am so so healthy now - I LOVE my new lease on my post-menopausal life!

I had mine at 69, and just had the regular supplements that everyone has ands have had no problems.

It is really nice to see some older people on here thank you everyone 🙂

1 hour ago, glannin said:

It is really nice to see some older people on here thank you everyone 🙂

Older??? Who is older??? I feel 20 years younger!!!!! :)