Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So how fast after your surgery did your taste for food change?

Didn't really notice any issues with taste after surgery

Granted, I'm three weeks post RNY tomorrow. My taste buds haven't changed too much so far. I can eat most things that I liked pre op just fine. If anything some things the sugar or spice is amplified (GNC Cookie Butter shakes are sickeningly sweet now despite only having 3 grams of sugar, black pepper packed a lot of heat in a tuna pouch I had). Other things they taste, I don't know, duller? Not to the point of being inedible, more like my tastebuds were numb. I'd drink milk, for example, and could barely taste it. It's getting better, however. Of what I have tried/reintroduced, I've only found one thing that I liked pre op that I didn't care for post op. Also found that the smell of beef broth makes my stomach want to flip. I did sip some of it in the hospital and tolerated it, but that's it. The smell turned me off from downing more. Of course this is subject to change as I try more things.

A lot of people say that they were super hungry after surgery. Head hunger returned for me after two weeks. Otherwise I'm still having to force myself to eat to get protein/calories in. My stomach doesn't give a hoot. Water, though? I'm getting an easy 80 fl oz in, but I seem to be an outlier. I was reaching 64 fl oz easy by day 3. Many RNY patients seem to struggle with getting even half of that at three weeks.

Even if your tastebuds or hunger change, you should be able to find stuff that works for you. It just might take a little more effort.

doesn't happen for everyone. If it does for you, you should notice it right away. For me, taste seemed more intense for awhile (as in sweeter things tasted sweeter, and spicy things tasted spicier), but it wasn't like I suddenly liked things that I didn't before, and vice versa.

I still have the same likes and dislikes with food but right after surgery the taste of bottled Water was nasty to me. Prior to surgery all I would drink all day everyday was bottled water but for some reason I found it disgusting. I recently purchased a water pitcher with a filter and I have no problems with that. Weird

I may have to buy a pitcher as well, I drink bottled Water and feel bad about the plastics!

As far as food after surgery, once I got to soft or my reg diet everything tastes so good that I actually moan sometimes with eating. This also happened after my first wls too

. Nothing has changed as far as what I like or don't like though.

I woke up with a very different sense of taste— everything even slightly sweet now tastes sickly sweet. The nurse said it happens sometimes, and the effects should lessen over time. I hope she’s correct!

My tastes haven't changed at all.

I can actually taste food now. I used to just gobble it down without actually enjoying it.

I enjoy things that I never considered eating before. Cottage cheese, salmon, canned tuna . Actually just grilled and baked fish period. The only fish I used to eat was fried fast food type fish.