Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Tomorrow

Congratulations to everyone checking in or who has checked in already. Take a few slow deep cleansing breaths and repeat, relax and remember you aren't alone. We are thinking about you today and will be checking for your post whenever you feel ready to post after your graduation ceremony/surgery. We are all super supportive and proud of you, its okay to be nervous. This is your experience, we will be on the other side of the stage waiting for you. Congratulations Class of 2019!!!!

Edited by Krimsonbutterflies

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and support. I am checked in, gowned up and ready for some meds. Lots of love and luck going out to all my surgery twins today. [emoji170][emoji171][emoji170][emoji171][emoji170][emoji171]

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi everyone I really appreciate they words of encouragement. Procedure was at 10 today. The pain meds they give don’t even touch the pain and I don’t know what to do I keep telling them. All they come back with is well they cut your insides and outside so your gonna have pain....

That's rude. I had my own personal nurse and was hooked up to IV drugs for the pain; was out of it slept for like the first 2 days straight then they were on anytime I pushed the buzzer looked after me like a king

Some of that pain may be the gas they used to expand your stomach. If you get up and walk around it will go away. The only discomfort you have is with the incision, no pain on the inside as it doesn't have pain. I walked around a lot to break up the gas and left the next day, no pain meds used at all. I took a Tylenol PM when I got home. The gas can cause a lot of pain and pain meds won't help. You need to move and walk.

Best of luck. It’s the best decision I ever made!

25 minutes ago, smb123 said:

Hi everyone I really appreciate they words of encouragement. Procedure was at 10 today. The pain meds they give don’t even touch the pain and I don’t know what to do I keep telling them. All they come back with is well they cut your insides and outside so your gonna

You should have an IV for pain meds from what I've experienced with other surgeries and from what I've seen. I know we all have very differing pain thresholds. Also, as painful as it may be walking does move the gas around and gets things moving. Even a few baby steps back and forth should be beneficial. I'm proud of you and congratulations.

The calmer you are the better. I have now had several surgeries, the best piece of advice anyone ever gave me is that if anything happens you will never know. So just relax and go with the flow.....

Good news for you the hard part is over.

First night is uncomfortable. I had that too. I was getting dilaudid along with steady doses of pain pills first night. I didn't get much sleep that night due to waking up for more pain meds.

Next day nurse took me for a slow paced half lap around the ward. Felt so good to move a little we did another full lap. I was ancy to get dressed and go home after that!

Once I was home, pain was easily managed by scheduled doses of pain meds. By Day 4, I only took them when I felt pain coming back. Make sure you have at least 4-5 days of pain meds when you get discharged and MAKE THEM LAST. You may or may not need them all. I was pain pill free before end of first week.

Edited by mike2019

Pain is still a struggle, found out they tore a muscle under my diaphragm and that’s where all the pain is coming from. It makes it hard to breath and when I stand or walk my stomach pulls down on it and makes it cramp! 😩😩😩😩 I need it to hurry up and heal!