Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Workout shoes/sneakers

Currently on the treadmill. I'm realizing that I need some new running sneakers. Which ones do you like? I'm not looking to spend a crazy amount.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am fond of New Balance as well. You can get a good pair for $60-$100. Check out Joe's New Balance outlet site. You can find some good deals there. joesnewbalanceoutlet.com

I like Altras for running. I’ve found that minimals work best for me. If you go that route, mind the building up period necessary to get used to that level of drop.

Stability shoes work best for me. I invest in my shoes but I don't go crazy with price. Asics, Brooks, Hoka one one. I can find sales at REI, dicks sporting goods or Amazon.

art_foot_gait.jpg.3459b6783450910732c3091f9fed9296.jpg

Types of Running Shoes

Neutral shoes: They can work for mild pronators, but are best for neutral runners or people who supinate (tent to roll outward). These shoes provide some shock absorption and some medial (arch-side) support.

Some super-cushioned shoes provide as much as 50% more cushioning than traditional shoes for even greater shock absorption.

Stability shoes: Good for runners who exhibit mild to moderate overpronation. They often include a firm "post” to reinforce the arch side of each midsole, an area highly impacted by overpronation.

Motion control shoes: Best for runners who exhibit moderate to severe overpronation, they offer features such as stiffer heels or a design built on straighter lasts to counter overpronation.

Barefoot shoes: Soles provide the bare minimum in protection from potential hazards on the ground. Many have no cushion in the heel pad and a very thin layer—as little as 3–4mm—of shoe between your skin and the ground.

All barefoot shoes feature a “zero drop” from heel to toe. (“Drop” is the difference between the height of the heel and the height of the toe.) This encourages a mid-foot or forefoot strike. Traditional running shoes, by contrast, feature a 10–12mm drop from the heel to the toe and offer more heel cushioning.

Minimalist shoes: These feature extremely lightweight construction, little to no arch support and a heel drop of about 4–8mm to encourage a natural running motion and a midfoot strike, yet still offer cushioning and flex.

Some minimalist styles may offer stability posting to help the overpronating runner transition to a barefoot running motion.

Minimalist shoes should last you roughly 300 to 400 miles.

Spend a lot of money if you need to. You can give yourself a lot of knee problems if you wear the wrong type of shoe. If you are obese, which everyone here here is, or us d to be, you probably have already stressed or damaged your knees.

I have hurt my left knee because of the way my weight used to effect my foot. I either was or my weight caused me to supinate. If your feet bend the wrong way, it will directly impact your knees. Loosing 80 or so pounds per knee, has helped alot...

Someone posted the chart. Look at your shoes now, and see what the tread wear is. That will say what you need. Before I got neutral support shoes, my outside tread was GONE and my inside tread looked brand new. I was also wearing Dept store cheap shoes probably designed for pronation - opposite of what I needed.

My advice is to jump the shark. Go see a podiatrist and get custom molded insoles. That has helped me, immensely. I suppinated, and required neutral support shoes, but, suppinating just wears them out anyway. The custom insoles greatly mitigate that. And they can last a decade or more.

You can't have enough. Running shoes are not walking shoes. The cushioning is designed for different movement. Walking and running have different ways your feet impact the ground. If you jog, get running shoes. Always have a pair of walking shoes for casual use.

I have 4 pair. And I switch my insoles between three of them until I get more insoles. One for walking. One for running, and one for sports (cross trainer). It sounds rediculous, but the walking and running are different. When I stress my feet running, I want a shoes for that. My cross trainers are the new balance 672 or 674 or whatever, and they are built tougher and have better build for sideways movement and are just $70. So, when I am fencing or doing odd whatever, I am not wearing down my more expensive casual walkers. Same with running. My 4th pair are just cheap to wear around hous to prevent wear and tear on my walkers, and slip on and off easily (always properly tie and untie your expensive shoes so they last). Sounds insane yes, but as my walkers wear down, it's separate from my running shoes. My running shoes might last me 2-3 years now. Walkers just over one. As my walkers wear down, it's separate from the better support I get for exercising or fencing and when I go running.

Please do not go cheap, get good quality shoes. The discount shoes you see in malls, are no good really no matter what brand they are. Brand names build separate styles for discount stores (Kohl's, boscovs) and they are cheaper build and quality. They are not on sale, or have a blemish, they are just cheap. No way around it, you need the more expenses shoes. My life turned around when before I had the surgery when I switched my cheap shoes to $120 class walking shoes. Don't learn the hard way and years from now find out you slowly gave yourself problems because of bad footwear choices. The high quality brands also last much longer than their cheap counterparts. Someone posted a link for new balance shoes. Unless they are selling top line shoes that are on the new balance website (and not counterfeit) I'd say to ignore it. I have tried high and low to find cheaper versions, and I do not believe any licensed resellers of new balance or Brooks (the best sub $200) allow anyone to sell more than $10 below MSRP). I hope I am wrong though.

You one have one pair of feet. Treat them well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using BariatricPal mobile app

41 minutes ago, wjgo said:

Spend a lot of money if you need to. You can give yourself a lot of knee problems if you wear the wrong type of shoe. If you are obese, which everyone here here is, or us d to be, you probably have already stressed or damaged your knees.

I have hurt my left knee because of the way my weight used to effect my foot. I either was or my weight caused me to supinate. If your feet bend the wrong way, it will directly impact your knees. Loosing 80 or so pounds per knee, has helped alot...

Someone posted the chart. Look at your shoes now, and see what the tread wear is. That will say what you need. Before I got neutral support shoes, my outside tread was GONE and my inside tread looked brand new. I was also wearing Dept store cheap shoes probably designed for pronation - opposite of what I needed.

My advice is to jump the shark. Go see a podiatrist and get custom molded insoles. That has helped me, immensely. I suppinated, and required neutral support shoes, but, suppinating just wears them out anyway. The custom insoles greatly mitigate that. And they can last a decade or more.

You can't have enough. Running shoes are not walking shoes. The cushioning is designed for different movement. Walking and running have different ways your feet impact the ground. If you jog, get running shoes. Always have a pair of walking shoes for casual use.

I have 4 pair. And I switch my insoles between three of them until I get more insoles. One for walking. One for running, and one for sports (cross trainer). It sounds rediculous, but the walking and running are different. When I stress my feet running, I want a shoes for that. My cross trainers are the new balance 672 or 674 or whatever, and they are built tougher and have better build for sideways movement and are just $70. So, when I am fencing or doing odd whatever, I am not wearing down my more expensive casual walkers. Same with running. My 4th pair are just cheap to wear around hous to prevent wear and tear on my walkers, and slip on and off easily (always properly tie and untie your expensive shoes so they last). Sounds insane yes, but as my walkers wear down, it's separate from my running shoes. My running shoes might last me 2-3 years now. Walkers just over one. As my walkers wear down, it's separate from the better support I get for exercising or fencing and when I go running.

Please do not go cheap, get good quality shoes. The discount shoes you see in malls, are no good really no matter what brand they are. Brand names build separate styles for discount stores (Kohl's, boscovs) and they are cheaper build and quality. They are not on sale, or have a blemish, they are just cheap. No way around it, you need the more expenses shoes. My life turned around when before I had the surgery when I switched my cheap shoes to $120 class walking shoes. Don't learn the hard way and years from now find out you slowly gave yourself problems because of bad footwear choices. The high quality brands also last much longer than their cheap counterparts. Someone posted a link for new balance shoes. Unless they are selling top line shoes that are on the new balance website (and not counterfeit) I'd say to ignore it. I have tried high and low to find cheaper versions, and I do not believe any licensed resellers of new balance or Brooks (the best sub $200) allow anyone to sell more than $10 below MSRP). I hope I am wrong though.

You one have one pair of feet. Treat them well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using BariatricPal mobile app

This is all true. I would suggest going to a running store, where they can analyze your gait and recommend shoes based on your particular needs. What works for me may not work for you.

I have separate trail runners, road runners, walkers, and backpacking shoes. Each has their own wear pattern because I strike differently in each activity. This all seems very excessive, but as someone who used to suffer from plantar fasciitis before I figured out what works for me, I can say it’s made all the difference in the world.

Which new balance sneakers is good for flat feet I'm so confused by all the names

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app