Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods to avoid to improve scar healing?

A couple people IRL have told me to avoid seafood for six months after surgery to help with scar healing. Another person said beef also. My Dr didn't say anything about it. Anyone have any thoughts?

@ms.sss @mousecat88 @catwoman7 @sillykitty @okayestmom

Not sure about food but, I used Vitamin e oil after my sleeve with good results. This is what I plan to do since my recent revision once incisions are healed enough as well.

The oil is pricey. I just get the bit e Vitamins and cut one end of the gel capsule to apply. Much less expensive this way.

I wasn't given any food related instructions in terms of avoiding any specific foods from my surgeon, nor have I ever heard of foods that can affect scar healing...

But I was given the following tips to follow or not long term from my surgeon:

• massage incisions if you can stand it
  • keep area hydrated/moisturized (I told him I was planning on using Bio-Oil, and he for it)
  • Use silicone scar tape for 3-6 months
  • stay away from the sun
  • optional: cortisone shots in the future (which can be covered by insurance)

Edited by ms.sss

Nope never heard of such a thing, if fact I would have thought that some seafood may help keep skin in general, can't see how it would impact negatively on scars though - oily fish.

Never heard of this. I would assume if you are eating healthy then your skin would be healthy, thus improving scars. I really don’t know though

Bio oil is the great. Never heard about any foods restricting healing (except maybe processed sugar). Knew a nurse who worked with burns victims & she would make up milkshakes & add baby formula for her patients so they’d get extra Protein & nutrients for the healing benefits. Seems strange to not eat protein rich foods like seafood & beef. Just my opinion though.

Mine just said to bump up my Protein starting a week or two before surgery and keep it up for a couple months after. They didn't say anything about specific foods

Not tagged but chiming in:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, increased intake of higher of Protein (maybe even including collagen supplements) improves healing after surgery/skin quality and Arnica (Montana) has a kitchen table reputation for expedition of healing.

As always ask your surgeon and research thoroughly

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12070399/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/amp/324110

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539394/#__sec1title

Thanks friends. Seems consensus here is to eat Protein (which of course is also what we are supposed to do after sleeve surgery anyway) and use bio oil (or coconut oil or tretinol on the scars). Something interesting is that the three people that told me about the no seafood and/or beef were all Asian, and one of them actually commented that she wasn't sure if it was just an Old Wives tale. Truthfully I couldn't go without seafood or beef because those are some of my staple foods to get in my protein. Thanks again for everyone's input.

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

Not tagged but chiming in:

Thanks for your input. Definitely looking to hear from anyone. Those tagged are just who I happen to know have recently had PS. But the topic of scars is certainly broader than just PS.

1 hour ago, rs said:

@ms.sss @Arabesque any particular brand of bio oil you recommend?

This is the one I get whenever its on sale at costco (price is in Canadian Dollars, lol)

image.thumb.png.3a00748dc6b3de2677e7b96a255c7d10.png

This is the one I get whenever its on sale at costco (price is in Canadian Dollars, lol)
image.thumb.png.3a00748dc6b3de2677e7b96a255c7d10.png
Thanks. I see it on Amazon too and it has over 9,000 reviews with acetate 4.5 stars! Clearly this is the one to get.

Yep that’s it. Just sold under Bio Oil. In Aust you can buy it from supermarkets & pharmacies. It’s quite reasonably priced & lasts for ages. Just wait until the wounds are healed. Even will improve older scars. Good luck.

On 12/28/2019 at 7:00 PM, rs said:

A couple people IRL have told me to avoid seafood for six months after surgery to help with scar healing. Another person said beef also. My Dr didn't say anything about it. Anyone have any thoughts?

@ms.sss @mousecat88 @catwoman7 @sillykitty @okayestmom

No one mentioned food to me. I was told to use scar tape (which I am allergic to) or Silagen scar cream. BUT, I don't care about my scars so I am not using anything or worrying about it, other than making sure the scar tissue is stretched out through my weight lifting. My spin class instructor also recommended Bio Oil, but the main ingredients are Calendula and Vitamin E (and a few other extracts) and I already use Vitamin E and Calendula daily to help with healing. I notice I get a few crusty spots occasionally so I'm still using the calendula ointment.

Edited by mousecat88