Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I see the doctor Tuesday the 31st and am SUPER nervous. Right now, I’m definitely 100+ lbs overweight but my BMI still is around 38. I’m just really worried it won’t work out for me! So far I have no comorbidities (I think). So! Is 100+ lbs over okay even thought my BMI is approx 38? Thanks!

Check with your insurance every single company is different...

Happy New Year Lady, just wanted to let you know that it will work out for you, I had medical conditions that okayed me for surgery, I am only 5'1 and my highest weight was 196 lbs. I had 3 procedures done on December 5th, so I am still recovering. I had the sleeve, gall bladder removed and the unexpected Hiatal Hernia. You might say the works! Everyone kept telling me that I did not need the surgery because I was not 100 plus over but I did it for health reasons. Losing my mom and brother to strokes and sleep apnea, The psychiatrist approved that I did not even have to take the 5 Binge eating classes. Never was a binge eater anyway, when I got nervous, I lost my appetite. You are taking the first step to a new beginning. I am already down to 172. Any type of Obesity is worth getting help for. Good Luck to you and I am sure everything will work out just fine.

1 hour ago, Superman84 said:

Check with your insurance every single company is different...

Hi!

I’ve already done so. Literally the only requirement (I have UHC through my employer).. is morbid obesity or obesity w/ 1 comorbidity. According to a lot of medical places online, morbid also would be classified as 100lbs over with or without the BMI of 40. This is why I’m asking others About their experiences.. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Chinadoll7075@gmail.com said:

Happy New Year Lady, just wanted to let you know that it will work out for you, I had medical conditions that okayed me for surgery, I am only 5'1 and my highest weight was 196 lbs. I had 3 procedures done on December 5th, so I am still recovering. I had the sleeve, gall bladder removed and the unexpected Hiatal Hernia. You might say the works! Everyone kept telling me that I did not need the surgery because I was not 100 plus over but I did it for health reasons. Losing my mom and brother to strokes and sleep apnea, The psychiatrist approved that I did not even have to take the 5 Binge eating classes. Never was a binge eater anyway, when I got nervous, I lost my appetite. You are taking the first step to a new beginning. I am already down to 172. Any type of Obesity is worth getting help for. Good Luck to you and I am sure everything will work out just fine.

Thank you so much! Encouragement means a lot through all of this! My sister got her surgery in August of last year and is doing amazing! My biggest thing is wanting to FEEL good! I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted.

Yup, it all depends on what the insurance requirements are. For me, I needed a BMI of 40 or 35 with co-morbidity. I had a sleep study done, which documented sleep apnea. That gave me my co-morbidity. However, I was just a few pounds away from 40 BMI and I made sure to wear my heavy clothes (some people add some weights to their pockets) for the weigh in. I hit the 40 BMI mark, just for the margin of safety.

47 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

Yup, it all depends on what the insurance requirements are. For me, I needed a BMI of 40 or 35 with co-morbidity. I had a sleep study done, which documented sleep apnea. That gave me my co-morbidity. However, I was just a few pounds away from 40 BMI and I made sure to wear my heavy clothes (some people add some weights to their pockets) for the weigh in. I hit the 40 BMI mark, just for the margin of safety.

Some people ? lol... I did suggest ankle weights to someone here once. :)

3 hours ago, danielleleigh90 said:

Thank you so much! Encouragement means a lot through all of this! My sister got her surgery in August of last year and is doing amazing! My biggest thing is wanting to FEEL good! I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted.

You are so welcome! I have UHC, good insurance and it does not take a lot to qualify,

15 hours ago, AZhiker said:

Lol! My mom did that! She said she even sat down & they “clinked” together 😩 the horror lol

I too was approved and I’m not 100 lbs or more overweight ... I would say I’m 70 or 80 lbs overweight but I have a tiny frame .. I’m 5 feet tall. I have knee and back problems and my mom died at 60 from heart disease .. she was also diabetic and had kidney disease. I was diagnosed as pre diabetic so I had better smarten up while I still have the chance. You can also check out Mexico as an option . I’m having mine done in puerto Vallarta on feb 4th. I’ll let you know how it was when I get back home. I’ve had work done in Mexico before. I had an arm lift ( and it’s amazing how much more confidence I have just with having that done! I never wore a tank top before then.). I also had my teeth done there. Both the hospital and the dental office was as clean and immaculate as any place Canada has to offer! Anyways, I hope you get approved and are able to get coverage .. I didn’t even try to do it through Canada because I didn’t think I would be approved and also I am very compulsive Once I made my mind up that I wanted to do this, I would had it done that week if I could have :). To do it in Canada, there is a waiting list and I don’t want to be like this for any longer than I have to. Please post updates as I’m rooting for you!

I have another question lol.

My insurance says that it covers:

-charges for diagnostic services.
-gastric or intestinal bypasses.
-stomach stapling.

So I contacted them, and the rep didn't know what specific surgeries are covered....So does anyone here understand this? What surgeries are covered? Thank you!

Looks like both sleeve and bypass

Stomach stapling & intestinal bypass

19 minutes ago, Superman84 said:

Looks like both sleeve and bypass

Stomach stapling & intestinal bypass

Perfecttttttttttttttt...I was unsure because I'm a worrier and didn't see the exact words "sleeve" lol. Thanks!

Okay guys..Soooo I'm done with my appointment. It went great! I now have an appointment with the dietician and with another nurse on Thursday. They said they'll be checking w/ my insurance about a waiting period...I'm SOOOO excited!