Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so upset, I'm a slow loser

2 minutes ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

They also said its time to start exercisin. Drat !

No No No! Have a positive attitude toward exercise. It will be the most liberating thing you do. It increases your metabolism, counteracts the brain chemicals that trigger depression and anxiety, gives you a chance to actually control something in this weight loss journey, and gives an amazing sense of empowerment. I get it. Being fat and exercising is not easy or fun. Couch potato is the name of the game. But get up and get moving! As the pounds fall off, and you can go further and faster, it becomes a joyful thing - not a DRAT! If you start first thing in the morning, even before Breakfast, you will set a positive bent for the entire day.

I do my arm and leg routines first thing. 10,000 steps throughout the day, stair climbing after work in the building, cardio (hill hiking or elliptical) when I get home, weights in the evening, stretching before bed. Longer hikes and bike rides 2-3 times a week. Spreading the different components throughout the day makes it easy and more of a routine. I log my exercise just like I log my eating - it is a daily goal to meet, along with sleep hours, Vitamins, and Water.

And yes - there IS time! It just has to be more of a priority than other things. (I still tend to my animals, my garden, and watch my grand kids.)

I am in the same boat as you and we are surgery twins - 10.1.19! I started out 50 lbs heavier than you though so am feeling even more of a failure. I lost 38 as of this morning since surgery. I am trying to convince myself of positives of slow weight loss but finding it hard and extremely frustrating too as I don’t want this to fail either. I have heard some success stories, even at slow pace that keep me going - like catwoman . We can support each other when venting needed as I totally understand. I know I have not been this weight in many years so that is a huge positive! My doc also said I am not eating enough either and I do find I stall out if I don’t track my food and watch I am not dipping to low.! Just seems so counterintuitive but everyone is different - right? We can do this! I went in for my labs this weekend and it looks like my Iron is low ...wondering if that is not helping with anything either?

Yeahhhh...I am approaching my 1 year mark and Im still at like 85 pounds lost. If you would have told me that I couldnt lose the 100 pounds I set out to lose in a YEAR I would have had a freakin heart attack. In fact when I had my consultation I asked how long it might take me to reach goal and they said "it takes some people 6 months, some people a year" and I said "A year??" and here I am a year later and NOT AT GOAL. I even revised my goal to 160 instead of 150 because I dont want to get too down. Im honestly just sick of this. I'm a size 10-12.

Sometimes I think F--- it. Thats it. I'm done. But then I saw pics of myself at Christmas and I still feel like I have too much fat in my face and I want to lose my extra belly fat. Im so tired of the struggle. I'm tired of seeing other people lose so freakin fast. Im tired of people yelling at me for not being thrilled to lose 80 pounds. Thats LESS THAN 10 POUNDS A MONTH. ugh!! This surgery is not all it's cracked up to be. Its definitely not easy. By the way I do not eat junk food, dont eat deserts, i go to the gym, I eat Protein. My body is ajust horrible and doesnt want to let go of fat. Thank you terrible genes.

We are losing at about the same rate. You're fine. Congrats on the loss so far!

On 12/27/2019 at 2:39 PM, Panda333 said:

Just have to vent. I had my surgery on Oct 1, 2019. I weight 285 then. Today I only weigh 255. everyone on the board seems to lose 10 lbs a week and it's been almost 3 months I've only lost 30. In total since starting this journey I've lost is 52 which I should be happy. I was doing okay then when I went to the follow up the nurse practitioner said I need to eat more food and to eat 1000 calories a day. I'ts been hard but I've been forcing myself too. maybe that's whey i'm lot losing as fast. The funny thing was I was following "their" program which was getting me to 400 calories a day with the Protein, and liquid diets. This is my biggest fear. I had the surgery, messed up my insides and I'm just failing at this. I have my 3 month follow up on Monday and will see. I should have lost 90 by now.

I completely understand and BTW we have a support thread in the Sleeve section called the The Slow Losers club - for support. I feel the exact same way but i will say 90 lbs in 3 months isn't a realistic expectation. I dont know ANYONE who has lost that much weight that fast who started less than 300 lbs. Has the increased calories been working? Do you drink enough Water? I wish i had the answers because I have the exact same thoughts... its so hard to know others have lost twice as much in the same amount of time... I am here for you and hopefully one or both of us finds work arounds to help speed up our loss. People say stick to the plan, and we can and will and do but its much harder to stick to the plan when you're barely eating and dont lose weight. The payoff for all of the sacrifices IS the weight loss (thats why we did this in the first place!!!) so if you dont have have that- its very hard to stay the course and not wonder why you went this route in the first place. I do think there are a lot more slow losers than we think though... they just dont admit it out of shame and disappointment because we compare ourselves to normal or fast losers who get all of the glory and all of the satisfaction that this was the best decision they ever made.... Sending you hugs.

Just would like to add that losing 10 lbs a month is not slowly losing. It’s perfect weight loss. Yes, most people may drop quickly in the beginning, but that is a fool’s gold in Water weight. Gradually, you drop off to 2 lbs a week as you gradually add calories and carbs. For me, this happened at 8 weeks. I’m 10 weeks now.

I'm frustrated as well. It's 17 days since my surgery and I'm down 13 lbs, but 8.6 of that was in the first week. I KNOW this is marathon and am trying to tell myself:

- I lost 42 lbs before surgery, so that initial drop of Water weight, etc... already happened.
- The last couple of months pre-surgery I wasn't losing even 2 lbs a week, and I am over that now
- It's probably better to lose a little slowly from a skin perspective
- My surgeon and team know what they are doing. I am following the plan they gave me

Even with all the above, it can be a little disheartening to be this early in and already feel like a slow lower.

5 hours ago, loridee11 said:

I'm frustrated as well. It's 17 days since my surgery and I'm down 13 lbs, but 8.6 of that was in the first week. I KNOW this is marathon and am trying to tell myself:

- I lost 42 lbs before surgery, so that initial drop of Water weight, etc... already happened.
- The last couple of months pre-surgery I wasn't losing even 2 lbs a week, and I am over that now
- My surgeon and team know what they are doing. I am following the plan they gave me

Even with all the above, it can be a little disheartening to be this early in and already feel like a slow lower.

Hang in there and trust the process, it gets better. A slow loser is better than not losing, right?

It is hard to understand the expectations of instant surgery to goal weights. How fast did you put the weight on? Does your surgeons office say it will be instant? Follow the plan you were given and enjoy the results. SMH

I personally see a stall as a challenge;

what should I change;

what have I done different lately;

am I getting enough sleep?

Aside from medical conditions; there has to be ways to learn from stalls?

17 hours ago, loridee11 said:

Can you reevaluate your expectations? Because that is about as far from being a slow loser as possible. Why be disheartened by something that isn't true?

My last 11 pounds are being very stubborn but I knew the closer I got to my goal weight the slower it would go. Just try to relax, it will come off. Keep working at it and try not to get frustrated. I know, easier said than done but you've got this.

I’m a slow loser, too. Many times over the past 5 months I’ve thought maybe this just won’t happen for me. My dietician wants me to eat close to 1100 calories, and I do my best to get as close as possible. I always reach Protein goals, probably not quite as great with Water. I also started going to Orange Theory fitness 3 days a week, which are 1 hour long high intensity interval training classes. Im hoping that helps to keep the weight loss moving, but who knows. I’ve been hypothyroid since I was 18, a chronic dieter since I was 14. By the time I had surgery I could barely lose any weight from dieting, even when I eliminated a lot of food groups. My last diet was a functional medicine diet, no sugar, no grain, no starchy anything, no dairy, no fruit. All protein, vegetables and healthy fat... in 12 weeks I lost 5 lbs. So, if I really think about it, it makes sense that this would go slowly. It’s a miracle I’ve lose 65 lbs at all, really!

I’m 4 months out and have averaged about 10 lbs a month. I too was super frustrated, however the scale continues to move. I’m down 50lbs which is the most weight I’ve ever been able to loose ever. I’m currently 189lbs. I’d love to get to 125 but if I get to 150 I’ll be happy. I didn’t get this surgery to become a super model, I did it to get healthy and I’m feeling much better already. It is frustrating thinking everyone’s loosing more than you, faster than you, etc. But believe me, it will come off. Just keep doing what you’re doing.
PS I actually feel like I’m loosing more weight after the first few months. It seems like it picked up a bit for me. Maybe the same will happen to you.
pps make sure you drink your Water and are going to the bathroom. That helps flush the weight out too.

I feel like I’m also a slow loser. I’ve averaged 8-10 pounds a month. Once I started cardio it went up to 12-14 pounds a month. Also try intermittent fasting. If you average 10 pounds a month that’ll be over 100 pounds in a year. Your doing great!! Also the average weight loss is 10-15 pounds a month after the first month.