Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a question to anyone who has had a drink post op(i haven't) but with my birthday and new years eve approaching id like to know how long pre op did u wait and how'd you feel

I’m going to just put this right here....my doc told me a minimum a year. Doc said we now absorb alcohol at such an intense rate that we will be drunk way before we realize it. Doc also informed me bariatric patients are the new AA members. So for anyone that ever findS them selves in that predicament, thank God there is help.

Yes, transfer addiction to alcohol is very real and a real problem post bariatric surgery. As said, you absorb it much faster (alcohol absorbs in the small intestine and for post-op people we have very little or no stomach left so guess where all that alcohol goes first - yup, the small intestine!).

All that said, I plan to drink some at 6 months. I'll be in Hawaii for my 10th anniversary. I'm talking 1 drink a day, maximum. And that's only if I'm well on my way to my goal weight at that time and I will absolutely log those calories!

I had my first drink (some champagne on my 20th anniversary) when I was about three years out. Yes - it's true - it hit me right away and I felt pretty bombed just on one glass. I've probably had a drink (just wine since then) maybe twice since then. I get bombed every time on one glass of wine (of course, with as little as I drink, my tolerance is pretty low, too - which would also be a factor)

I'm not a teetotaler. But I am in favor of drinking as little as you possibly can. It does hit you faster. I have a 2 drink tolerance then have to put some time between them before having another and I'm very inebriated from it--even when drinking slowly or with smaller pours and more mixers. I would honestly say try to avoid it until maintenance.

Transfer addiction is very real and very deceptive. It can and will creep up on you. You must be ready to drop rationalizations and do what needs to be done if you are going to mess with it.

I will also tell you, it will jack with your weight loss like nobody's beeswax and even reverse it long before you're ready to stop losing weight. Not only does it hit your burdened liver like a bomb, but it also disinhibits you and contributes to poor food choices with high reward foods at inappropriate times but it also can cause you to miss your full signal and overeat and over indulge.

Disclaimer: I am in the industry . So yesterday/Christmas day at a family party I had some wine. I just filled 1/4 of a glass, and then added the same amount of Water. Note: that is how the Roman senate drank their wine, so they would not get drunk (as the alcohol killed the various microbes in the water). This while virtually everyone else was drunk on wine or beer, as there was very little pathogen free water in the cities.

so anyway, I sipped that amount of wine in that social environment over aprox an hour, holding it primarily in my mouth, to absorb the effects of the alcohol. An hour or so later I did it again. So over a two hour period I had basically a half a glass of wine, and quite frankly it was little more than mildly intoxicating, with no adverse affect at all.

I AM NOT advocating drinking alcohol. I am however not so naive to think that people are going to obstain completely. Just be smart and quite frankly, you don't need to get drunk in life, to enjoy life :):)

2 minutes ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

Disclaimer: I am in the industry . So yesterday/Christmas day at a family party I had some wine. I just filled 1/4 of a glass, and then added the same amount of Water. Note: that is how the Roman senate drank their wine, so they would not get drunk (as the alcohol killed the various microbes in the water). This while virtually everyone else was drunk on wine or beer, as there was very little pathogen free Water in the cities.

so anyway, I sipped that amount of wine in that social environment over aprox an hour, holding it primarily in my mouth, to absorb the effects of the alcohol. An hour or so later I did it again. So over a two hour period I had basically a half a glass of wine, and quite frankly it was little more than mildly intoxicating, with no adverse affect at all.

I AM NOT advocating drinking alcohol. I am however not so naive to think that people are going to obstain completely. Just be smart and quite frankly, you don't need to get drunk in life, to enjoy life :):)

Hey, great idea to mix water and wine!! The Europeans have done that for centuries with their children. ;) And God knows the Catholic priests have been doing that with their chalices for even longer than that!! Good on you! I'm trying that at New Years!

I’m like @FluffyChix. Definitely not a teetotaller either & support the drinking as little as possible. I had a G&T at 6wks out at my cousin’s 40th. Took 4 hrs to drink it. If I’m going to a party I take my own - gin mixed in a small 300ml tonic or soda water bottle - cause I control the amount of gin I add. Drink slowly over hours & let the tonic/soda go flat. Had a small glass of champagne for Christmas & after 3hrs I poured half of it down the sink. (I know.😩 Such a terrible waste of Moet!)

Sorry @Fatboyslim1 Great suggestion but I just can’t do the diluting of wine. 😱

Alcohol will mess with your weight loss & addiction transference is real. Be careful. Go slowly. Weigh the risks (pun intended) before indulging.

My experience is different in that my tolerance did not changed significantly after WLS. Biggest difference is I'm unable to pad my stomach before drinking, so I sometimes need to slow down.

But I drank very little during my WL stage. I could not justify adding 100's of liquid calories, except on special occasions.