Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

44 minutes ago, Mello1 said:

Hang in there, I know it will get better. I had my gallbladder removed many, many years ago the old fashioned way -- they had to cut me in half to get it. If I could endure that pain, I figure I can handle the bypass. I also have a hiatal hernia that the surgeon will deal with during the surgery, so your post is very helpful to me. Thanks for the liquid Tylenol information too.

This makes me nervous! My surgeon said he was going to fix a hernia and remove my gallbladder during this surgery. I wonder if that will make my recovery a lot harder.

11 minutes ago, MorganF said:

This makes me nervous! My surgeon said he was going to fix a hernia and remove my gallbladder during this surgery. I wonder if that will make my recovery a lot harder.

I'm not sure, but I think because it's all laparoscopic these days, the recovery should be much faster.

1 hour ago, MorganF said:

So they told me I didn't have a regular hernia. I don't remember what kind it was but it's something that you are born with and it comes out through the diaphragm. She was very surprised to see it because she said that normally they are fixed as a baby because they are very dangerous. She also told me that since it was so close to my stomach she couldn't use "mesh" on it like she normally would to help support it so maybe that's why mine hurts so bad. I will say I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I have four children and had them all naturally.

I haventHad any issues with my new stomach though Water just goes right through so I hope that stays the same.

5 hours ago, Puffy-no-more said:

Hey everyone. After 3 nights in the hospital, I just got released. My vital signs went to normal and my white blood cell count went back down so they're pretty sure I don't have a leak. For the past day I stopped taking any of the narcotics that was offered me cause I would be so drousy and not drink. So then they offered me sugar liquid Tylenol. Y'all it was the most disgustingest (I know, I made up that word) thing. They also called that into the pharmacy for me. I don't remember who was asking about sugar free liquid Tylenol but I would call your surgeon and see if they could send a script in for you.

Anyways, like I was saying about not taking the meds, I definitely very sore. My surgeon originally told me recovery would be like when I had my gallbladder removed which was a very quick recovery but I guess from the added hernia repair it's just not happening. It hurts to do anything! If I'm still, I'm fine. As soon as I try to move in any direction I feel like I've been hit with a train. I'm just telling myself this won't last forever.

So now to the struggle of getting all of my liquid in. I can already tell it's gonna be tough but I've got to do it.

I hope everyone else is doing well!!

Good to hear you are home! And that there is no leak. I hope you get plenty of rest, hydrate, and some steps in.

I am still feeling tired with very little activity! (surgery was the 10th). I guess it can take a few weeks to get the anesthesia out of your system. I've been trying to up my steps, I was doing between 8 and 10K before my surgery. Twice I have gone over 8K, and I was completely wiped out right into the next day. Yesterday I drove to the hospital for a nutritionist app't (3 hours round trip), and I was completely wiped out! You had the additional surgery, so give yourself some time.

I was the one who asked for the sugar free liquid Tylenol, but I am not on pain meds anymore.

I have to remind myself that I have just had major surgery, and I have plenty of time to build up my walking once I am feeling a little stronger. Today I took it very, very easy; My daughter and her husband had come up Thursday to visit and we hung out and a couple of other family members stopped by; I have gotten very few steps but I am feeling pretty good. Now the family is gone and I am just sipping some herbal tea and remembering to be grateful.

3 hours ago, Puffy-no-more said:

So they told me I didn't have a regular hernia. I don't remember what kind it was but it's something that you are born with and it comes out through the diaphragm. She was very surprised to see it because she said that normally they are fixed as a baby because they are very dangerous. She also told me that since it was so close to my stomach she couldn't use "mesh" on it like she normally would to help support it so maybe that's why mine hurts so bad. I will say I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I have four children and had them all naturally.

I haventHad any issues with my new stomach though Water just goes right through so I hope that stays the same.

Sounds like you had a very good surgeon!

What type of surgery did you have , how did your surgery go

How do I post

So this is a day 3 for me and I’m feeling better than days 1&2. Much better. I’ve had a hard time sleeping and The thought of drinking anything other than diluted apple juice makes me cringe. I definitely know I don’t want anything hot, only cold stuff. I’m not sure what else I might want other than the apple juice..

44 minutes ago, doublepau said:

So this is a day 3 for me and I’m feeling better than days 1&2. Much better. I’ve had a hard time sleeping and The thought of drinking anything other than diluted apple juice makes me cringe. I definitely know I don’t want anything hot, only cold stuff. I’m not sure what else I might want other than the apple juice..

I'm so glad you are feeling better! I'm sure you will soon be able to tolerate other tastes. It's quite a slam to our systems, that's for sure!

@lisafrommassachusetts you are doing amazing on your steps!!! I'm trying to get the soon. Was getting all of your Fluid in in the beginning a little difficult? I'm looking at this Water thinking how am I going to get it all in. I guess I'll just have to keep trying lol

17 minutes ago, Puffy-no-more said:

@lisafrommassachusetts you are doing amazing on your steps!!! I'm trying to get the soon. Was getting all of your Fluid in in the beginning a little difficult? I'm looking at this Water thinking how am I going to get it all in. I guess I'll just have to keep trying lol

I'm struggling with the Clear Liquids. I don't really like the crystal light, but that might help you if you like the taste. I made a pitcher of it with about 50% more Water and I find it ok watered down. The other things I am doing for clear liquids are; Herbal tea with a little stevia (I like mint, ginger and a Yogi kind called Egyptian Licorice), Bone Broth (Swanson, chicken bone broth, also gives you some Protein and is a nice break from all the sweet, sweet, sweet) and frozen sugar free pops. Someone had recommended Hint water, I got the watermelon and I really like that, I had a 16 oz bottle of that over about 2 1/2 hours yesterday. It just takes so looooong. I tried the protein water, but I could not stand it. I tried watering it down, I tried freezing it, I tried freezing it watered down, I can't get it in without retching.

I am amazed at how tired I am by walking still! I have been trying to walk every hour, but I can't do much more than 10 minutes before I feel really weary. Hopefully we will get stronger every day!

I am glad I have one more week off from work. I was going to try to go back after 2 weeks, but I think just for stamina I need another week.

I love reading your updates! Onward and upward (or...downward I hope.)

Hi all, I am 5 days out. Yesterday was the first day I felt more like myself. I am able to tolerate Water better, Soup broth is my new best friend. I stopped the nausea and pain medicine 3 days ago. I can drink the Optifast Protein Drink but it cleans me out. So I can't take any with me when I go out because I cannot afford to deal with bathroom issues. I have two other brands here that I will try to see which one won't send me running, I will have to get used to experimenting with this new way of being.

I have a question on pureed foods which I hope to start by the end of the week. I did see some online, are there any pre-made that are recommended or is it better to just prepare your own? How do you make sure you get the right nutrients in? Any good place for puree recipes? I'll be at full work mode by then and quick and easy is essential. Thanks!!

@lisafrommassachusetts downward indeed!! So I wonder when or if it will stop being such a struggle to get the liquids in? I will have to try some tea and look for the Hint Water. I've tried a couple of brands of chicken broth and it's a no go for me. I don't know why but I struggle with getting it down. Last night was my first at home and all though it is absolutely nothing fancy, I loooooove my bed. Lol. The hospital bed was very uncomfortable. I finally switched with my husband and slept in the recliner they had for him and that was much more tolerable. Anyways, I'll stop so I can go sip some more lol

41 minutes ago, Puffy-no-more said:

@lisafrommassachusetts downward indeed!! So I wonder when or if it will stop being such a struggle to get the liquids in? I will have to try some tea and look for the Hint Water. I've tried a couple of brands of chicken broth and it's a no go for me. I don't know why but I struggle with getting it down. Last night was my first at home and all though it is absolutely nothing fancy, I loooooove my bed. Lol. The hospital bed was very uncomfortable. I finally switched with my husband and slept in the recliner they had for him and that was much more tolerable. Anyways, I'll stop so I can go sip some more lol

It will get easier, someone else said it and then it happened to me by day 4.