Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 hours ago, smund said:

Surgery tomorrow. Just liquids today. I had headaches and nausea every day on the pre-op diet.
I just want to wake up and be okay and not in a ton of pain.

So scared. So ready. Starting to crash at work on just fluids so I am working through lunch and going home early.

I had my VSG on 2/14. I remember being in pain when I first woke up but then they adjusted my meds and I was fine in like 5 minutes. Seriously. The rest of the time at the hospital and the first few days I just felt stiff but it didn’t really hurt. I think the best I could describe it is the way you may feel the day after you do some crunches. I took pain meds the first 3 days I was home just to help sleep because my doctor told me that I should take them preventatively. I think that helped a lot.

I would also suggest trying to drink as much liquids as possible for the rest of the day until your cutoff time, especially with some salt like the gateroade or broth. The more hydrated your body is today, the easier your recovery will be tomorrow.

Hang in there you are soooo close! We are rooting for you 👍🏼

thanks! home and filling up on tea and broth!

Had 2 (veryyyyyy smalll) BM today. Gonna buy some brown flax seed tomorrow per my NUT and see how it works.

50 minutes ago, smund said:

thanks! home and filling up on tea and broth!

Best of luck!

10 hours ago, ttrout870 said:

12 days since surgery and still not moving my bowels any suggestions? I think I have tried everything OTC and prescription but maybe there is something I missed.

That seems pretty long...I'd talk to your physician's office. I was on my 4th post op day and they had me start taking Miralax, but they told me if I had not had a bowel movement by 1 week I might need to use an enema. Luckily the Miralax worked.

8 hours ago, MorganF said:

Ugh the anxiety is getting real! Day ten of liquid post op diet and so grouchy and freaking out. We are driving over to our Airbnb by the hospital tonight after work (live two hours away) and I am so, so anxious. Surgery check in at 5:00 am and scheduled for 7:00 am tomorrow! 😬

8 hours ago, Xx1jpt5xx said:

Hey! I'm tomorrow too. Check in at 8am. Sorry about the liquid pre op. I only have to do liquids today. Yay me.

Hope you both did great today! And you are now sipping, resting and occasionally walking.

4 hours ago, smund said:

Surgery tomorrow. Just liquids today. I had headaches and nausea every day on the pre-op diet.
I just want to wake up and be okay and not in a ton of pain.

So scared. So ready. Starting to crash at work on just fluids so I am working through lunch and going home early.

Good luck tomorrow! If it helps, I had very little pain; I had opiates in the recovery room, but then Tylenol and Motrin via IV; Went home the next day on just Tylenol; by 4th post op day not even Tylenol. A little stiff, but if you try to get up and move a bit every hour even that is nothing.

So this day 2 post op. Doing a lot better pain wise then I thought I would. Initial pain was gas, that moved into my shoulders last night. Could barely sleep between the gas shoulder pain, the constant peeing from IV fluids and getting woken up for vitals. So ready to go home. But I have been walking around the hallways, Doing really well. Lots of burps, no toots yet though.

Around 8:30 am this morning, my nurse came in to give me pain meds. As I went to lift the pill to my mouth, I got a wave of nausea flow over me. I started dry heaving. She had to waste my pain med and give me something for nausea, twice. I finally got my pain med down and Dr came in right after. I was to be discharged around 10am, but now it's going to be 1pm to make sure I don't get sick anymore.

All in all the experience has been really good. Ready to be in my own bed though. On my own heating pad.

10 minutes ago, TheAngryMeow said:

So this day 2 post op. Doing a lot better pain wise then I thought I would. Initial pain was gas, that moved into my shoulders last night. Could barely sleep between the gas shoulder pain, the constant peeing from IV fluids and getting woken up for vitals. So ready to go home. But I have been walking around the hallways, Doing really well. Lots of burps, no toots yet though.

Around 8:30 am this morning, my nurse came in to give me pain meds. As I went to lift the pill to my mouth, I got a wave of nausea flow over me. I started dry heaving. She had to waste my pain med and give me something for nausea, twice. I finally got my pain med down and Dr came in right after. I was to be discharged around 10am, but now it's going to be 1pm to make sure I don't get sick anymore.

All in all the experience has been really good. Ready to be in my own bed though. On my own heating pad.

Hope you are comfy in your bed at home soon with no more nausea!

Yesterday I had all of my preop blood work and a chest X-ray. Today I got my official check in and scheduled surgery time. The hospital is over 2 hours from my house, assuming there’s no traffic, across all of San Bernardino and LA counties. (Which means there is ALWAYS traffic!) My check in time is 5 am. So, I booked a night in a hotel a few miles down the coast from where the surgery will be. The surgery itself is set for 7 am (on March 3). They sent prescriptions for liquid Tylenol with codeine, dissolving zofran pills, an acid reducer for the first three months, and a single dose heavy duty anti-nausea pill for the morning of surgery. I’m beginning to have a difficult time focusing at work. My liquid diet is only one day, so that will be Monday. Tuesday can’t come fast enough!!

Had my surgery yesterday morning. Wasn't too bad. If it wasn't for that one big painful incision I wouldn't have been able to tell I had surgery.

In my recovery room. Hard to sleep when people keep constantly coming in.

When I did wake up, the middle of my chest started to hurt. Feels rough. Almost like a rock is stuck

Had my surgery yesterday morning. Wasn't too bad. If it wasn't for that one big painful incision I wouldn't have been able to tell I had surgery.
In my recovery room. Hard to sleep when people keep constantly coming in.
When I did wake up, the middle of my chest started to hurt. Feels rough. Almost like a rock is stuck

That's the gas! Walking, walking and more walking will help that. It will get better...

Surgery this morning and I’m so excited.

Man, I’m so jealous of everyone saying it’s not that bad. I am in excruciating pain! The doctor said it might be also due to the gallbladder removal because he couldn’t numb that area. I can barely move and every time I take a sip of Water I’m nauseous and want to throw up. I have hydrocodone and oxycodone because of how much pain I am in. I hope it gets better from here.

Man, I’m so jealous of everyone saying it’s not that bad. I am in excruciating pain! The doctor said it might be also due to the gallbladder removal because he couldn’t numb that area. I can barely move and every time I take a sip of Water I’m nauseous and want to throw up. I have hydrocodone and oxycodone because of how much pain I am in. I hope it gets better from here.

I had gallbladder removed during vsg myself. The first day and night was AWFUL (pain and gas and nausea --> morphine, gas drops and zofran) but then it got better. I'm 7 days out and can tolerate all the Water, Protein Shakes, Soup, sf popsicles and Jello that I need now. I'm still tired and sore but every day is an improvement. Hang in there.