Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 hours ago, kg2519 said:

On day three!!

How are you feeling?

Hey y'all. So for those who already had surgery, when did all of the soreness go away and you could start moving like normal?

On 2/21/2020 at 5:54 AM, niffer said:

Hi Gang. I'm less than 24 hrs post op vsg and WOW the gas pain is real. I've been walking walking walking and they've kept me on track with pain meds but the gas is still here! They finally gave me gas drops at about 7pm last night and those definitely helped.
Also, most of the day yesterday every sip of Water or protien Water made me throw up so I haven't really gotten much down. I'm hoping that today I have more success drinking. I just woke up and can already tell that I feel better than yesterday, thank god. I hope everyone else is hanging in there, it'll all be worth it!!

Hope the gas pain is less! Are you home yet? The first few days were the hardest for me. Rest, walk and hydrate!

10 hours ago, ResaRoo said:

Feeling pretty down today. I’m 12 days out, and over the last 3 days I’ve somehow gained 4 pounds. I still weigh more than when I had my surgery. I don’t understand it. I know deep down that it will start coming off, but this really troubles me. I’m still primarily on liquids (including watered down Greek yogurt and soups), getting about 40-50 grams of Protein a day and under 400 cals. It doesn’t make sense to me that I’d be gaining weight.

Apparently very common. I had my first post-op with the nutritionist yesterday in a group, and one of the women in my group said the same thing. The nutritionist said it is common, your body is still adjusting to the major shock of surgery, you may be retaining fluids, you may be swollen, and everyone is different. She said she wished people would stay off the scale for the first few weeks, but she knows everyone is curious. She stressed hydration, and making sure we are hitting Protein goals, and if your bowels aren't working add some Miralax. However, understanding it's "normal" and going through all this and gaining weight has got to be a downer. Hang in there, the scale will move!

2 hours ago, Puffy-no-more said:

Hey y'all. So for those who already had surgery, when did all of the soreness go away and you could start moving like normal?

I was stiff and a bit sore every time I stood up for the first week or so. But you had bigger surgery than I did! Give yourself time.

My surgery was Wednesday February 12th. It that night I walked and felt ok. I was shocked and so upset when I was weighed the next morning and had gained 13lbs!!! By that night up 15lbs. When I left to go home I was 16lbs heavier than when I checked in. I was so down but otherwise felt pretty good. Started feeling rough Sunday afternoon couldn't get my Protein down, it was like slime to me. Monday and Tuesday cried all day. I thought I made a huge mistake. Luckily I had a doctor appointment. The staff and the doctor were awesome. They gave me pep talks and more ideas to help. Since Wednesday February 19th things have been 100% better. I'm hopeful the worst is behind me. I lost the extra 16lbs plus 14 more. If you're getting ready for surgery try to remember everyday gets a little better 😊

34 minutes ago, MorganF said:

Oh my gosh this is so good to hear. Thank you! Day seven of the pre op liquid diet and need to focus on why I’m doing this

I think that's gotta be the hardest part, granted I haven't had surgery yet - the discipline required to do this liquid diet I believe measures how well you will do long-term. I have confidence! I have done it, I know you can, too!

I'm Feb 25th, so only a couple more days.

Good luck! 👍

Hope the gas pain is less! Are you home yet? The first few days were the hardest for me. Rest, walk and hydrate!
I am home and yes, the pain is better! I can't tolerate much more than Water and frozen Protein water at this point so that is sustaining me. I'm exhausted and sore and surprised at the activity happening in my stomach. It is gurgling and rolling and popping and making sounds that can be heard across the room. Crazy. Does the walking exhaust you? I can't seem to sleep for a long time but feel constantly tired too. I can't wait until this phase is over!!!!

On 2/13/2020 at 11:55 AM, lisafrommassachusetts said:

So after having a really pretty easy couple of days, today I started to feel worse. I had a pounding headache, my urine is darker than I want, and I was dry heaving and/or vomiting if I tried to get any Protein Shake in. I am also having a really hard time getting the darn Tylenol down. I finally contacted the nutritionists at B & W (where I had the surgery done) and asked if I was dehydrating. She feels I am in early dehydration, and wants me to give up trying to get the Protein in right now and just concentrate on getting the fluids in. It is a relief not to have to face choking down the Protein Shakes right now, and I am very glad I reached out, because I was feeling really off. She said I may find the nausea lessening by getting hydrated, and that regardless for most people it passes. So I am sipping away, and walking around my house at least once an hour. Or, as we say, living the dream. :)

Someone asked about a liquid, sugar free acetaminophen -- I think I found one made by Mapap. You can go to the site here: https://www.mountainside-medical.com/products/acetaminophen-elixir-160mg-5ml-16oz. It's cheaper there, although you can get it on Amazon as well.

1 hour ago, TheAngryMeow said:

I think that's gotta be the hardest part, granted I haven't had surgery yet - the discipline required to do this liquid diet I believe measures how well you will do long-term. I have confidence! I have done it, I know you can, too!

I'm Feb 25th, so only a couple more days.

Good luck! 👍

Right! Take my stomach out so I don’t have these hunger pains haha. I’m on the 26th so we can be surgery buddies!

On 2/16/2020 at 9:11 AM, lisafrommassachusetts said:

I've been freezing about a cup of Protein Shake and having that as "ice cream". The Premier caramel is really, really sweet so I can only tolerate about a cup; I have also frozen Iconic chocolate Truffle, and Premier Bananas and Cream. Also, I've been heating the chocolate Truffle as hot chocolate, and to get a bit more Protein added 2 oz of the Premier Caramel. It's no Snickers bar, but it is definitely sweet!

I hate to admit it, but the Premier caramel is really the bomb.dot.com! Just reading all of these replies -- thanks so my for posting post-ops, it really helps!

Hey everyone. After 3 nights in the hospital, I just got released. My vital signs went to normal and my white blood cell count went back down so they're pretty sure I don't have a leak. For the past day I stopped taking any of the narcotics that was offered me cause I would be so drousy and not drink. So then they offered me sugar liquid Tylenol. Y'all it was the most disgustingest (I know, I made up that word) thing. They also called that into the pharmacy for me. I don't remember who was asking about sugar free liquid Tylenol but I would call your surgeon and see if they could send a script in for you.

Anyways, like I was saying about not taking the meds, I definitely very sore. My surgeon originally told me recovery would be like when I had my gallbladder removed which was a very quick recovery but I guess from the added hernia repair it's just not happening. It hurts to do anything! If I'm still, I'm fine. As soon as I try to move in any direction I feel like I've been hit with a train. I'm just telling myself this won't last forever.

So now to the struggle of getting all of my liquid in. I can already tell it's gonna be tough but I've got to do it.

I hope everyone else is doing well!!

Edited by Puffy-no-more
Drink

50 minutes ago, MorganF said:

Right! Take my stomach out so I don’t have these hunger pains haha. I’m on the 26th so we can be surgery buddies!

YASSS! That's my mindset. 😂

And totally we can be surgery buddies. I plan to post on here as soon as I'm conscious and able. Lol

34 minutes ago, Puffy-no-more said:

Hey everyone. After 3 nights in the hospital, I just got released. My vital signs went to normal and my white blood cell count went back down so they're pretty sure I don't have a leak. For the past day I stopped taking any of the narcotics that was offered me cause I would be so drousy and not drink. So then they offered me sugar liquid Tylenol. Y'all it was the most disgustingest (I know, I made up that word) thing. They also called that into the pharmacy for me. I don't remember who was asking about sugar free liquid Tylenol but I would call your surgeon and see if they could send a script in for you.

Anyways, like I was saying about not taking the meds, I definitely very sore. My surgeon originally told me recovery would be like when I had my gallbladder removed which was a very quick recovery but I guess from the added hernia repair it's just not happening. It hurts to do anything! If I'm still, I'm fine. As soon as I try to move in any direction I feel like I've been hit with a train. I'm just telling myself this won't last forever.

So now to the struggle of getting all of my liquid in. I can already tell it's gonna be tough but I've got to do it.

I hope everyone else is doing well!!

Hang in there, I know it will get better. I had my gallbladder removed many, many years ago the old fashioned way -- they had to cut me in half to get it. If I could endure that pain, I figure I can handle the bypass. I also have a hiatal hernia that the surgeon will deal with during the surgery, so your post is very helpful to me. Thanks for the liquid Tylenol information too.