Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 hours ago, Xx1jpt5xx said:

I'm at Charlton memorial

Good luck! And happy healing

Good luck to everyone and healing wishes to those in recovery. I've postponed my surgery as I need to do more "head work." Lisa, did you have Ashley Vernon as your surgeon? I love her. She did my massive hernia repair in 2011.

2 minutes ago, Likklelime said:

Good luck to everyone and healing wishes to those in recovery. I've postponed my surgery as I need to do more "head work." Lisa, did you have Ashley Vernon as your surgeon? I love her. She did my massive hernia repair in 2011.

I did have Ashley Vernon! She is amazing. What a gift to be able to have this surgery with such a skilled surgeon. I am impressed that you have decided to postpone to get your head in the right place. Are you going through Brigham again? They have a lot of resources. Good luck!

8 hours ago, MOHOJO19 said:

Right! Are you having bypass or vsg? I’m going to Tijuana, because my stupid insurance stopped covering bariatric surgery this year.

VSG. You?

5 hours ago, 3sonsitk said:

VSG. You?

The same! I'm so freaking excited... I can hardly contain myself lol.

On 2/11/2020 at 6:02 PM, ChiefPWife said:

I am curious, for all of you who have had the surgery already, is the pain as severe as you expected it to be? Less severe? More severe?

For me, less severe. I think I have been lucky in that regard.

End of my 2nd post surgery day! I managed to get in 38 oz of water/clear fluids, and oddly enough 38 oz of Protein. And this took ALL of my attention ALL day. Slightly more than 200 calories.

I'll bring some Water to bed, and sip when I wake up or if I need more Tylenol overnight.

I have had less nausea, and only one bad bout of dry heaving. The pain is well controlled with Tylenol; I'm mostly stiff and achy, but it's just a b&*%^ to have to chop it up and then take little swallows to get the pills down. Does anyone know of a liquid Tylenol without sugar??

I know these are temporary stages, but the crazy part of me is catastrophizing all of this, and thinking I'll be like this forever. Ugh.

Tomorrow I get to SHOWER! Hooray! And I think I'm going to put my fitbit on; I'd like to see what the walking tours of my first floor are adding up to.

A couple of questions if anyone is a veteran: Does this odd nausea at the thought of food pass? At this point I feel like the rumbling feeling in my stomach may be hunger, I barely had 200 calories all day. How do you distinguish between "head hunger" and real hunger? Finally, when were you able to get into at least spitting distance of the recommended water/protein guides?

Good night all!

@lisafrommassachusetts it’s good to hear you are doing ok. I’m not a veteran yet so can’t answer any of your questions but I’m also wondering how long until it’s not such a struggle to get Water in. I’m not even there yet but can only imagine!

Insurance required one more “weight monitoring” appointment, which I had today, so fingers crossed that I have my final

consult next week and surgery 2/25!!

3 hours ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

End of my 2nd post surgery day! I managed to get in 38 oz of water/clear fluids, and oddly enough 38 oz of Protein. And this took ALL of my attention ALL day. Slightly more than 200 calories.

I'll bring some Water to bed, and sip when I wake up or if I need more Tylenol overnight.

I have had less nausea, and only one bad bout of dry heaving. The pain is well controlled with Tylenol; I'm mostly stiff and achy, but it's just a b&*%^ to have to chop it up and then take little swallows to get the pills down. Does anyone know of a liquid Tylenol without sugar??

I know these are temporary stages, but the crazy part of me is catastrophizing all of this, and thinking I'll be like this forever. Ugh.

Tomorrow I get to SHOWER! Hooray! And I think I'm going to put my fitbit on; I'd like to see what the walking tours of my first floor are adding up to.

A couple of questions if anyone is a veteran: Does this odd nausea at the thought of food pass? At this point I feel like the rumbling feeling in my stomach may be hunger, I barely had 200 calories all day. How do you distinguish between "head hunger" and real hunger? Finally, when were you able to get into at least spitting distance of the recommended water/protein guides?

Good night all!

Thank you for checking in. It sounds like you are healing well but what an adjustment! I'm cheering for you and hoping tomorrow is easier ❤

13 hours ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

I did have Ashley Vernon! She is amazing. What a gift to be able to have this surgery with such a skilled surgeon. I am impressed that you have decided to postpone to get your head in the right place. Are you going through Brigham again? They have a lot of resources. Good luck!

That's awesome! She really is a gem, not to mention one of the best minimally invasive surgeons anywhere! Thank you for your kind words. I'm kind of beating myself up over the decision to postpone but know I'm not "all in" yet. I started attending the weight loss center closer to home and so was not going to be at B & W. My surgeon here is going on maternity leave for 6 mos so I may end up back in Boston. I'm trying to stay flexible about how this all plays out!

On 2/12/2020 at 6:23 AM, deej25 said:

I just had my surgery Monday and I’m in so much pain. I think it’s mostly gas because I haven’t been able to pass any or have a Volvo well movement. I’ve been up and walking quite a bit, but all I’ve been able to manage is a few burps. :( Anyone have any tips? I’m desperate for sleep and relief!!

So sorry you’re going through that I had something similar and my nurse recommended milk is magnesia. It helped tremendously

I just had my surgery Monday and I’m in so much pain. I think it’s mostly gas because I haven’t been able to pass any or have a Volvo well movement. I’ve been up and walking quite a bit, but all I’ve been able to manage is a few burps. :( Anyone have any tips? I’m desperate for sleep and relief!!

I am so sorry this is happening to you. The only thing they told me was to walk, but I would check with your surgeon's office and see if the MOM is available for you. It's hard to keep walking around like the walking dead when you are exhausted and in pain.

Have you tried Gas-x? I saw a video on YouTube of a girl who took it post-op and she said it helped pretty well. It's worth a shot to get the gas out. That's what I bought for my surgery. I hope the gas pains aren't too bad though. Good luck!

So after having a really pretty easy couple of days, today I started to feel worse. I had a pounding headache, my urine is darker than I want, and I was dry heaving and/or vomiting if I tried to get any Protein Shake in. I am also having a really hard time getting the darn Tylenol down. I finally contacted the nutritionists at B & W (where I had the surgery done) and asked if I was dehydrating. She feels I am in early dehydration, and wants me to give up trying to get the Protein in right now and just concentrate on getting the fluids in. It is a relief not to have to face choking down the Protein Shakes right now, and I am very glad I reached out, because I was feeling really off. She said I may find the nausea lessening by getting hydrated, and that regardless for most people it passes. So I am sipping away, and walking around my house at least once an hour. Or, as we say, living the dream. :)