Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone! I had my surgery yesterday; I was supposed to go in at 2, but the ORs were delayed and I did not go in until about 4:30; got to my room around 7:30. Surgery went without a hitch. Came out of anesthesia much more awake and lucid than I expected. Had some pretty heavy meds in the recovery room. They had me up and walking by 9 that night.

As of last night I have been managing pain with Tylenol, and motrin if I need it.

The gas was pretty bad, but not as agonizing as I feared. Walking really, really helped.

To everyone's surprise, my surgeon let me go home at 2:30 today; I had a 90 mile drive home from Boston and if any of you are from around here you know that Boston traffic is awful, she said I looked good and we should get going and miss the traffic. I got home about 1/2 hour ago.

The ride was a bit rough, and I am stiff and uncomfortable.

The Water is CHALLENGING!!! They started me on Protein shakes....if anyone is intolerant of artificial sweeteners and is using one with stevia, bring your own. The ones they gave me at the hospital were so full of those sweeteners I was practically gagging.

Have not really slept well in 2 nights; Hope I can get comfortable and get some actual sleep (for more than 1/2 hour) tonight.

All in all far less agonizing than it could have been. I hope you all have equally easy times! I'm too tired to read through all the post from my February Surgery mates, I'll do that tomorrow.

Hello Everyone! I had my surgery yesterday; I was supposed to go in at 2, but the ORs were delayed and I did not go in until about 4:30; got to my room around 7:30. Surgery went without a hitch. Came out of anesthesia much more awake and lucid than I expected. Had some pretty heavy meds in the recovery room. They had me up and walking by 9 that night.
As of last night I have been managing pain with Tylenol, and motrin if I need it.
The gas was pretty bad, but not as agonizing as I feared. Walking really, really helped.
To everyone's surprise, my surgeon let me go home at 2:30 today; I had a 90 mile drive home from Boston and if any of you are from around here you know that Boston traffic is awful, she said I looked good and we should get going and miss the traffic. I got home about 1/2 hour ago.
The Water is CHALLENGING!!! They started me on Protein shakes....if anyone is intolerant of artificial sweeteners and is using one with stevia, bring your own. The ones they gave me at the hospital were so full of those sweeteners I was practically gagging.
Have not really slept well in 2 nights; Hope I can get comfortable and get some actual sleep (for more than 1/2 hour) tonight.
All in all far less agonizing than it could have been. I hope you all have equally easy times! I'm too tired to read through all the post from my February Surgery mates, I'll do that tomorrow.

So glad to hear all went well!! Sounds like your hospital experience was a good one. Sending good vibes your way for continued healing! Keep us posted...good, bad and ugly, we'll be here for support.

32 minutes ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

Congrats! Did they give you pain rx for home? I'm in MA, surgery in two weeks. I feel like they are trying to do away with the pain meds.

I am curious, for all of you who have had the surgery already, is the pain as severe as you expected it to be? Less severe? More severe?

@lisafrommassachusetts it’s so good to hear from you! Glad everything went well and that you are home recovering!!!

36 minutes ago, Xx1jpt5xx said:

Congrats! Did they give you pain rx for home? I'm in MA, surgery in two weeks. I feel like they are trying to do away with the pain meds.

They gave me a rx for oxycotin. but I don't think I'll need to fill it. Where are you having the surgery? I was away Brigham & womens

Hi everyone. I had the surgery yesterday it was about an hour and a half. And my surgeon did a liver biopsy while in there which I didn’t know he was going to do. The pain and discomfort was a bit rough they gave me pain med via iv that helped a lot and I was able to sleep for about an hour at a time. The IV made me pee a lot so I was up and down. Today I was just really tired. Had an X-ray in the am and the Fluid I had to drink was nasty! But luckily I didn’t throw up. When I feel a little queasy I walk around and try to make myself fall asleep. Overall I’m happy to be back home and start the rest of this journey. I also was prescribed Percocet which idk about since there isn’t any food in my system. Good luck to the rest of you. Seems like all the February ppl are having successful surgeries

Just got my sleeve on 2/6 and came home the following day. My surgeon requires 2 weeks of liquids before (60g protein/day) and a day of Clear Liquids before. I’m down 32 lbs (almost 11% of my body weight!) since starting liquids almost 3 weeks ago. I see the surgeon Friday and I’m hoping he clears me to start “real” food then. I’m not hungry and I wouldn’t even say I have “head hunger” but I am over these Protein Shakes - everything tastes so sweet now! I’m keeping an eye open for ideas on savory, high Protein liquids to get me through!
It’s been challenging to get all of the protein and liquids in since surgery! I’ve just been setting a timer to remind myself to drink because I don’t handle dehydration well! In terms of pain - the first 2 days were rough, but walking a lot helped me. My main issue now is the little gas pains that come after drinking (especially cold things) and not being able to go like I normally do! I’m a nurse and I miss my work family, even though my awesome hubby is taking great care of me! It’s his turn on 2/24!
Good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, Xx1jpt5xx said:

I was sent home with hydracodone/acetaminophen liquid for pain. The pain was bad the first day, but thereafter, I was more sore than anything.

@Fiddles glad everything went well! Are you still in a lot of pain? What about nausea?

Welcome home! I'm sure your glad to be home! Now the fun begins :)

@lisa - are you struggling to get fluids in as well? I’m supposed to drink 30mL every 15 minutes, but am struggling to do this. I feel so full and then nauseous when I drink that much so close together. Hoping this gets better soon.

3 hours ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

They gave me a rx for oxycotin. but I don't think I'll need to fill it. Where are you having the surgery? I was away Brigham & womens

I'm at Charlton memorial