Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT EXACTLY IS THE ISSUE WITH CARBONATED DRINKS??? & other questions!

I never got any information from my surgeon and I thought I'd ask the veterans on here what exactly is the medical reason behind the *NO* carbonated drinks like a soda?

I was really craving something today so I had a small no sugar coke just to see how I felt; I was very busy today realised at the last moment I got the wrong drink but I took it very slow small sips and haven't noticed any side effects?

I drink coffee during the day but also lots of Water everyday.

I've hit a stall the past few days I'm not sure if it's the coffee or the fact I'm very close to the end.

I'm currently 212; my ultimate end goal is between 180-190lbs...

Maybe the last 20+lbs will be more STUBBORN?

I must admit my activity level is minimal and that is my own fault I lack motivation most days..

I know I'll need to get into some kind of exercise; I've got a stationary bike but I really want to get a rowing machine for the whole body workout..

What do ppl think about rowing machines?

Sorry this is a multi part question...

Thanks.

Mike.

I drink carbonated Water (no flavoring) with no problems. I dont drink soda pop too often only because it is too sweet now for me, but I have no issues with it as long as I drink it on an otherwise empty stomach. Probably not the best choice though...

My surgeon told me no carbonated drinks for the rest of my life after surgery. He told me the carbonation stretches the stomach. After giving me the idea of a shaking soda, and my hard work being all stretched out...I’ll never touch a soda, it’s just not worth it to me.

I don't think any surgeons would recommend you drink them in the first few weeks or months while you're healing. But some are OK with them when you're out a ways as long as they don't bother your stomach. And others ban them for life. My surgeon is one of the latter, but I tried them when I was at least year out since some surgeons seem to be OK with them. They irritated my stomach too much - and they still do (have tried them a handful of times since then), so I gave up. Some people can tolerate them, though.

I’ve been reading a lot of posts, and most of the posts that mention gaining back the weight, also mention soda pop, and alcohol. I worked hard to get here. I will not be easy on myself. That’s how I got to this point in the first place. If I want to be healthy, I have to have self discipline. Nobody else is going to do this for me.
Mike a rowing machine sounds great, if your gonna use it. How often do you use the bike? How often do you walk? What is your goal? I walk 5+ miles a day, and want to start swimming. Less pain on my hips.

i still drink Carbonated drinks in fact having a diet coke as we speak- but Not the same as Pre OP gotta drink it slow, however my brother can not handle any carbonation.

I joined cross fit and do rowing work out - Finding cross fit tones all the areas where the weight has lost

I was told never by several surgeons (I've had the pleasure of being treated/seeing more than one 😳) with varing reasons why. Discomfort came up every time.

IDK.

A lot of us still drink soda/carbonated waters with little problem, I do not. One run in with cit mag nearly took me out the game, enough for me to avoid carbonation indefinitely.

As always ask your surgeon, again.

2 hours ago, Tinesia said:

I’ve been reading a lot of posts, and most of the posts that mention gaining back the weight, also mention soda pop, and alcohol. I worked hard to get here. I will not be easy on myself. That’s how I got to this point in the first place. If I want to be healthy, I have to have self discipline. Nobody else is going to do this for me.
Mike a rowing machine sounds great, if your gonna use it. How often do you use the bike? How often do you walk? What is your goal? I walk 5+ miles a day, and want to start swimming. Less pain on my hips.

I don't know how old you are (I'm 54) but my hips are terrible! I am thinking of checking out the local YMCA to see what it costs to go swim occasionally!

My surgeon said I could drink carbonated drinks two months after surgery. One month to go! He said just to sip it slowly.

I was told never by several surgeons (I've had the pleasure of being treated/seeing more than one [emoji15]) with varing reasons why. Discomfort came up every time.
IDK.
A lot of us still drink soda/carbonated waters with little problem, I do not. One run in with cit mag nearly took me out the game, enough for me to avoid carbonation indefinitely.
As always ask your surgeon, again.

What is cit mag?

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app

I never got any information from my surgeon and I thought I'd ask the veterans on here what exactly is the medical reason behind the *NO* carbonated drinks like a soda?
I was really craving something today so I had a small no sugar coke just to see how I felt; I was very busy today realised at the last moment I got the wrong drink but I took it very slow small sips and haven't noticed any side effects?
I drink coffee during the day but also lots of Water everyday.
I've hit a stall the past few days I'm not sure if it's the coffee or the fact I'm very close to the end.
I'm currently 212; my ultimate end goal is between 180-190lbs...
Maybe the last 20+lbs will be more STUBBORN?
I must admit my activity level is minimal and that is my own fault I lack motivation most days..
I know I'll need to get into some kind of exercise; I've got a stationary bike but I really want to get a rowing machine for the whole body workout..
What do ppl think about rowing machines?
Thanks.
Mike.

I truly believe the magic trick with exercise is finding something you enjoy.

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app

7 hours ago, Superman84 said:

<-- text removed -->

Thanks.

Mike.

LOL, I'll put a comment down for the carbonated drinks question, and leave the rest for the others...

My team's reason for the no-carbonated-drinks directive was this: sugary sodas aside (this falls under the no-sugar-directive, which I figure we all understand), carbonated drinks tend to fill you up which leaves little room in your stomach for stuff you actually need, like nutritious food.

My team does not use the "it will stretch your stomach" reasoning. And after some of my own research, neither do I.

With that said, I was drinking sparkling Water at around month 4 (and still do). Told my team, they were not concerned.

I'm 35 years young.

Just never really been an exercise person. I should use the bike but I lack motivation. I'm a homebody I don't go out much at all social anxiety issues etc.

I think a rowing machine would target whole body.. I need things I can do at home..

I had a can of no sugar coke didn't feel any different..

16 hours ago, ms.sss said:

With that said, I was drinking sparkling Water at around month 4 (and still do). Told my team, they were not concerned.

I think that drinking sparkling Water actually helped with me getting off my diet coke and sweetener addiction. Now that ive gotten all that out if my system, it's much easier to have more control over my eating. That and my face cleared up nicely.

I’ve tried soda once or twice since surgery (16 months out) honestly it tastes so gross. Like chemicals. I do drink the occasional beer or white claw without issue though