Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass for Senior Citizen

12 hours ago, DB in AZ said:

Am I the oldest? I'm 73 and will hopefully have the sleeve done in Feb. My story is similar to everyone's: yo-yoed my entire adult life, losing and gaining overweight but not obese. Nine years ago I developed an autoimmune disease which is controlled by steroids. Long term steroid therapy is like having another disease. Besides potential diabetes, increased risk of infection (thankfully I have not developed), what affects weight is increased appetite, slower metabolism, and redistribution of weight (belly fat). For the past eight years I have been well over 225 lb and it is next to impossible to lose. I also have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. My PCP and Hematologist as well as other Drs feel that I am a good candidate for the sleeve. My goal is to obviously lose weight but also to have a tool for me to eat less for the rest of my life.I want to be able to get down on the floor to play with my grandchildren, have energy for my passions and to take a brisk walk. In short I want quality of life for whatever years I have left.I have completed all the requirements and am waiting to be scheduled. I have researched alot about bariatric surgery really enjoy reading these posts. I am especially impressed that so many of you have exceeded your weight loss goals. I anticipate that I will be a slow loser due to my age and the steroids but I am prepared and committed for the journey.

I’m al older mother, had my energetic boy at 41. Now 46, hypothyroid, and exhausted all the time I had the sleeve one month ago. I am 21 lbs down in one month, and though I have a ways to go, it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. My energy level is better now than in my 20’s, even being far from my goal. Health reasons aside, I want to chase after my son and lead a more active and athletic lifestyle. Best of luck to you in your journey.

Hello, I am new to this site today. I am 66 yrs, old female. I had my surgery on Oct.29,2019. I have to tell you I am very happy I had my gastric bypass. I am a diabetic and I had high blood pressure. I could not get my sugars under control. Even thou I was taken 4 injections and metformin twice a day. I was on 3 blood pressure pills as well. I have been off all this medicine except my low dose blood pressure pill...My sugar is under control...On top of this, I have lost over 50 pounds. Hooray, All that medicine stopped the day I had my surgery. I still have a way to go but so far so good. It is a very tough journey but I am so glad I am on this trip. Good luck.

Welcome to the forums, Maureen2u! Your story is great. It's amazing how the bypass mostly stops diabetes in its tracks, isn't it?

Glad to find other senior citizens that have had gastric bypass! I am 72 and had my surgery Aug.21st! Lost 60 plus pounds! Next goal getting below 200, 22lbs to go! Then I'll make next goal. Had lap band done ten years ago,lost about 50 lbs then started gaining and having stomach issues,had it removed Want to hear how other seniors are doing with losing and keeping it off!

Just heard from surgeon's office; I am scheduled for the 22nd of February for my surgery.I can't believe it's finally happening.

My PVP gave me a referral at the end of September I saw the surgeon in Octobe r. Medicare requirements: three months diet monitorin g, psych, nutrition, pulmonary & cardiac clearance. I did have to go through several cardiac tests: echocardiogram, stress test & angiogram. My surgeon's office has now submitted to Medicare they go ahead and scheduled the surgery.

Thank you for your response. I will be on Medicare 1st of March and my cardiologist is the one wanting to refer me. My insurance through work would not touch it, I am hoping Medicare will.

Hope everything works out for you.

13 hours ago, Too old to lose? said:

Thank you for your response. I will be on Medicare 1st of March and my cardiologist is the one wanting to refer me. My insurance through work would not touch it, I am hoping Medicare will.

Medicare will pay for it as long as you meet the criteria. I think it was over 35 BMI with a comorbidity. There was a three month "supervised" diet (during which you don't have to lose weight), and documentation of past failures with diet alone. You must be obese for 5 years, and have a psych evaluation.

I was nervous because I had been told by another office that Medicare wouldn't pay for revision surgery (failed lap band) which was odd because Medicare hadn't paid for the first one. But they came through and my bill was paid.

I'm 66 and was sleeved in early December along with my wife who is also 66. We're both so happy we had this done as for the years we have left with children and grandchildren we want to be healthy and able to enjoy them. It's worth it!