Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass for Senior Citizen

Do it

There are many members here that are over 60 and at least one over 70 that have had this surgery. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

There is a thread with the folks over 60 posting somewhere on this forum as well.

here is one of them

good luck!

Edited by Losingit2018

If you are healthy, you're not to old. I was 58, it was the best decision I have ever made. There are many members who were older than I that did this surgery. Check the threads, you will find many people who made the decision to have the surgery after age 60.

I would like to find the over 60 group, if anyone knows how to find it let me know....I am new on here and just learning the navigation. Thanks....

Thank you...I was able to find some over 60, Guess I just wasn't searching for the right thing...Thank you

Just now, Too old to lose? said:

I would like to find the over 60 group, if anyone knows how to find it let me know....I am new on here and just learning the navigation. Thanks....

Thank you...I was able to find some over 60, Guess I just wasn't searching for the right thing...Thank you

Look up at my last post that is one recent one may be more 😁

I am 65 and got a bypass a month ago. My surgeon made me get a cardiac clearance in addition to the medical one. but it was a precaution and he really wasn't worried about my age. Being morbidly obese was a larger health risk than my age.

All went well--had the same amount of pain most people comment about, mostly from the gas that they fill your abdomen with. I'm back to doing everything I did before surgery (other than eating my butt off, that is!)

Edited by JRT Mom

I was two months shy of 60 when I had my surgery last March. Nine months later and now in maintenance, I'm thrilled with the results. My only regret is that I didn't do it decades earlier!

9 hours ago, Too old to lose? said:

My MD has told me I should had gastric bypass surgery. I am 65 years old and am wanting to know if there are others that have had this procedure done at this age or older and how it has gone for them? Thank you.

I had my surgery 5 months ago. I was 67. I'm 68 now.

You're never too old to get healthy

Go for it!!

I was 67 at ths tine of RNY Surgery. I've list 130 pounds and it was definitely worth it. Went from thirteen Rx meds to one Rx med. Quality of life and outlook continue to trend upward.

Am I the oldest? I'm 73 and will hopefully have the sleeve done in Feb. My story is similar to everyone's: yo-yoed my entire adult life, losing and gaining overweight but not obese. Nine years ago I developed an autoimmune disease which is controlled by steroids. Long term steroid therapy is like having another disease. Besides potential diabetes, increased risk of infection (thankfully I have not developed), what affects weight is increased appetite, slower metabolism, and redistribution of weight (belly fat). For the past eight years I have been well over 225 lb and it is next to impossible to lose. I also have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. My PCP and Hematologist as well as other Drs feel that I am a good candidate for the sleeve. My goal is to obviously lose weight but also to have a tool for me to eat less for the rest of my life.I want to be able to get down on the floor to play with my grandchildren, have energy for my passions and to take a brisk walk. In short I want quality of life for whatever years I have left.I have completed all the requirements and am waiting to be scheduled. I have researched alot about bariatric surgery really enjoy reading these posts. I am especially impressed that so many of you have exceeded your weight loss goals. I anticipate that I will be a slow loser due to my age and the steroids but I am prepared and committed for the journey.