Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lean muscle mass building

do you weigh, measure, and track your food? I use an app called baritastic it's very helpful, I also use my fitness pal for sleep n step tracking I do the Water n food on everything else. I also follow DR. Duc Vuong on Facebook and youtube, He has a lot of good information, but he does use a lot of foul language too. I was 210 at surgery 230 highest weight and now one year out 122 I have been holding there since month 8 out. I go to gym 3 times a week mon 30 min stair climber wed 30 min treadmill fast and raised up a bit fri split 15 stair 15 treadmill. now that I am a year Im going to add yoga n weights on tues n thurs.

Thank you for the reply 🙂 my doctor is the one who told me he wanted me to start doing weights.. I've been walking since I had my surgery and I'm up to 7 miles a day but now I work out in the gym and I do an hour and a half of cardio.. which I love.. and I do weights for about a half hour every other day.. but it makes me extremely frustrated when I can't even lose a pound since I started the gym.. I understand that you can lose inches but then I'm still under the category as obese on the scale.. I still weigh 179 lb being 5 /3... I drank about a hundred oz of Water a day. And I make everything from scratch for eating... I tried to make sure I get my 10,000 steps or higher in every day which I do... I feel like this is all sabotaging my weight loss..so I'm not sure what to do I was wondering if other people were having this problem as well! !;++;last year when I was losing my weight I walked all the time and that was helping me drop weight but now it's winter and tons of snow so it's hard to walk...I would love to share and puts on this or stories of yourself not losing the weight from working out... Thank you so much....

also I tried one of Dr.v theories on the gym and it worked. He said fittness is great but workouts is not great for weight loss, as it builds muscle. He said if you go to the gym for working out your weight loss will be sabotaged by the muscle gain, So I tried not going for 2 months and guess what? My 2 to 4 lbs a week continued. also stay away from bad carbs, processed food, and sugar. I never experienced stalls I just quit loosing, but some of the people in my support group do experience them for months. I also belong to a Facebook group called kpbariatric a lot of people in there r kaiser patients, but they don't have to be it is not kaiser affiliated, you can get a lot of good info and support, it's a great group.

On 02/09/2020 at 11:34, Kimberkiss said:

Thank you for the reply 🙂 my doctor is the one who told me he wanted me to start doing weights.. I've been walking since I had my surgery and I'm up to 7 miles a day but now I work out in the gym and I do an hour and a half of cardio.. which I love.. and I do weights for about a half hour every other day.. but it makes me extremely frustrated when I can't even lose a pound since I started the gym.. I understand that you can lose inches but then I'm still under the category as obese on the scale.. I still weigh 179 lb being 5 /3... I drank about a hundred oz of Water a day. And I make everything from scratch for eating... I tried to make sure I get my 10,000 steps or higher in every day which I do... I feel like this is all sabotaging my weight loss..so I'm not sure what to do I was wondering if other people were having this problem as well! !;++;last year when I was losing my weight I walked all the time and that was helping me drop weight but now it's winter and tons of snow so it's hard to walk...I would love to share and puts on this or stories of yourself not losing the weight from working out... Thank you so much....

Hi Kimberkiss. I too am 5’3. I weigh a bit more. I’m 3 months out from my surgery. Wow! You’re doing everything right. The only thing I can think of is to eat more. I’m thinking you’re not eating as much as your body needs. Perhaps adding A bit more carbs (90-100 grams) to your program, and thus that will add more calories for you. Of course, that would be carbs that are nutrient dense and low on the glycemic index. Try that for a few weeks. Keep me posted

On 02/08/2020 at 20:35, amithistrose said:

too much too soon. cardio till your a year out than go to weights. Just remember muscle weighs more than fat, so instead of the scale look at pic of yourself (side by sides) see the diff in pics n fit of clothes

Just a reminder that muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat. Muscle I’d denser than fat .

Really I never heard that

I've also never heard you have to wait a YEAR to lift weights. Nor has that been my experience. Citation?

The scales shouldn't be the only indicator of success...and if someone puts on a bit of scale weight because of increased body mass that's great...no doubt they will have lost some body fat and will continue to do so.

I can't think of a worse reason not to do strength or resistance training because of the scales...I would think the benefits would far outweigh that.

As I said the weight thing was a theory I heard because of giving your body time to heal properly and letting you get your eating and mind on track, as weight lifting can cause you to feel more hungrier and need a little more calories taken in. It was a time to work on your brain and let your body heal.

5 hours ago, amithistrose said:

As I said the weight thing was a theory I heard because of giving your body time to heal properly and letting you get your eating and mind on track, as weight lifting can cause you to feel more hungrier and need a little more calories taken in. It was a time to work on your brain and let your body heal.

Yeah, I'm not a doctor v. fan. I believe he lost his license and is basically a scam artist now.

On 02/09/2020 at 16:52, amithistrose said:

Really I never heard that

That one is easy to research. It’s basic.

I have learned a lot from Dr. V while I don't agree with everything He says though. Do you have any suggestions on people (motivational self help speakers) to listen too, I am looking into branching out, and like to listen while I am getting in my fitness.

thank you. I would love it if you would share!

Hi there. I'd recommend checking out a program like StrongLifts 5x5. It's an excellent program for building lean muscle mass while also helping to improve your skin tone. It's a strength training program that focuses on compound lifts to help you build strength and muscle with minimal bulk. Plus, it only takes three workouts a week, so it's easy to fit into your schedule. Good luck! It's also completely free, so you don't have to worry about spending money on a program. Have you looked into using ibutamoren from behemothlabz.com? It increases the secretion of growth hormone, which can help you achieve your goal of lean muscle gain without putting on too much size.

Edited by ColtenFernandez

A little input as I am a bariatric patient and a personal trainer. If you are new to weight lifting you have more capacity to gain lean mass at first. Women are still not going to get huge muscles because we do not have enough testosterone. The women that you see with huge big muscle have been lifting really heavy for many years and are probably taking some 'supplementation' to assist.

Lifting weights increases your metabolic rate for up to 48 hours after a session. In addition to the test issue most of use cannot eat enough calories to get into a surplus to gain lost of muscle.

It you have stopped losing weight on the scale you might start checking other ways like using a tape measure or how are your pants fitting.

If you are sore after a workout your body uses Water to help heal those muscles . I can be up 3 lbs. after a good leg workout but I know it isn't fat, it's just a muscle pump.