Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had surgery on the 18th

Uff-da! I am hurting! My doctor tells me most people don't feel this bad after. She ordered a radiological study to check for leaks and that was clear. I usually have a low pain threshold anyway. What was your experience?

Although today it IS residing (and I get to go home from yhe hospital today) I have massive pain and spasm sensations when I drink anything. I've had awful heartburn. My sugars are up (175), but they told me they are not concerned about that. I was on Saxenda (Liraglutide) before surgery and don't plan to go back on it.
Please share your experiences as I'm pretty discouraged.
Thanks,
Red
Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Uff-da! I am hurting! My doctor tells me most people don't feel this bad after. She didna radiological study to check for leaks and that was clear. I usually have a lownpain threshold anyway. What was your experience?
Although today it IS residing (and I get to go home from yhe hospital today) I have massive pain and spasm sensations when I drink anything. I've had awful heartburn. My sugars are up, but they told me they are not concerned about that. I was on Saxenda (Liraglutide) before surgery and don't plan to go back on it.
Thanks,
Red

*ordered. She *ordered a radiological......
(I cannot figure out how to edit my posts)

For me it took about 6 days before everything stopped hurting, The gas pain was worst than the actual surgery. Try to move around as much as you can. Make sure you are drinking SLOWLY-spasms might be a sign of taking too big of sips. Did your doc give you any medicine for your heartburn? She should have. Hang in there, most of us have "buyers remorse" after our surgery. Once you feel better and the weight starts coming off you'll be happy you did this, It WILL get better!

Uff-da! I am hurting! My doctor tells me most people don't feel this bad after. She ordered a radiological study to check for leaks and that was clear. I usually have a low pain threshold anyway. What was your experience?

Although today it IS residing (and I get to go home from yhe hospital today) I have massive pain and spasm sensations when I drink anything. I've had awful heartburn. My sugars are up (175), but they told me they are not concerned about that. I was on Saxenda (Liraglutide) before surgery and don't plan to go back on it.
Thanks,
Red

I just had my surgery on the 17th the first day was rough I wasn't able to stay awake and I was in excruciating horrific pain the second third day it died down but I was still in pain and very very extremely sore and drowsy the fourth day started to feel better

Sent from my SM-A205U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for the responses. I will keep my chin up! Nice to hear that this might be more normal.

Takes awhile i was uncomfortable and miserable for a few weeks - Then like overnight i felt great - Ride it out as for the heartburn get meds for it from your Doc.

Soon life will be normal - but we all agree the pre week diet sucks and the first few weeks after suck. But its worth it big time

Had my surgery on the 10th, pain first day of surgery and had pain med given in IV and didnt take any after that just a couple of Aleve after I went to Walmart 5 days after surgery and over did it! Hope all goes well!

3 hours ago, RedDackel said:

Thanks,
Red

Don't be discouraged by the early experience you are having. I'm praying for you to get better and pain free. Have you tried the sugar free Popsicles to aid in hydration yet? Try to meditate on healing & taking it moment by moment so you won't feel overwhelmed or frustrated. That isn't conducive to healing, I hope that you are complication free. Side note, I took Saxenda for awhile, it made me very nauseous and miserable. I so wanted to love it and be a success story, not so much for me.

Edited by Krimsonbutterflies

I am of the belief that the pain many encounter is due to the pressure on the incisions, due to any gas left in the abdominal cavity. I have heard stories about people being bloated after, and passing a lot of gas, and those seem to be the same people that have pain.

For myself, I was not bloated (other than a lot of Water from IV's) and I had no gas, and no pain. Took one Advil a day for 4 days starting the day after, and that was it.

Perhaps it's more a result of surgeon technique than anything else ?

I had surgery on the 18th and I also signed up for a double nerve block. It was horrific the first day. I was in recovery for hours trying to get my pain down. The next day a little better. Day 3 and I feel like I could go run a marathon. Not really but still better. I thought I was pretty good with pain as I had a partial hysterectomy and was trick or treating THAT night. This surgery kicked me in the ass.

I’ve been fortunate not to have heartburn. I’m not even taking my heartburn meds. If I do sip something too fast or too big I do get tightening in my chest for a second.
Popsicles are amazing too... I made mine with Protein Water with extra scoop of plain protein.

Capy,

I, too, had the nerve block. Holyschmoly, I was in PAIN! i can't imagine the surgery without it. At this point, 4 days put, I'm finally able to feel. better - thank goodness. I, too, have pain but in the stomach- if I drink too fast. My incisions have felt great though, so that's a bonus.

Good luck!

Edited by RedDackel

I had surgery the 16th mid day and that wake up was terrible..I couldn’t wait to get to my room. When I did they put me on a morphine drip and I slept for the evening. I was extremely thirsty and around 9pm I woke up and started Water & diluted apple juice and finally got up at 11pm to do a lap around the unit. Once I got to moving I started feeling better even though I was still in pain, they’d give me morphine when I made it back to my room. I’d fall asleep for a couple hours and do it again. I went home the next day.

I’m not sure the reason or difference between a nerve block and/or regular pain meds? It seems people who have those have a bit more pain.

Hopefully you get to feeling better and get to go home!