Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have any of you dumped on purpose?

I tried a couple bites of cake a few days ago on my son's birthday. I didn't having dumping but I did have cramping and just an overall terrible feeling. It lasted about 20 minutes then I was fine. It's not worth it to me to even try again. After 3 months of no sugar, the cake was just too sweet to enjoy the taste anyway.

On 12/21/2019 at 1:12 PM, Fatboyslim1 said:

If you have a sugar craving already, you should talk to a nutritionist about how to get over that hump. It's a terrible addiction and releases the exact same opioids in your brain as heroin and cocaine.

Actually I haven't had a sugar craving at all. It's more of a curiosity of what dumping is and how my body will react to it in case it happens.

On 12/21/2019 at 1:25 PM, sillykitty said:

This thread turned harsh pretty quick ...

Actually I think it's been fairly civil! People are expressing their opinions and I appreciate that people care enough to warn me off instead of going "Yeah! Try it!! <muffled snicker behind their hand>"😁

Edited by JRT Mom

2 hours ago, JRT Mom said:

Actually I think it's been fairly civil! People are expressing their opinions and I appreciate that people care enough to warn me off instead of going "Yeah! Try it!! <muffled snicker behind their hand>"😁

I agree. I've been on here for three or four years and I've seen harsh. This isn't at all - people are just warning you.

Dumping syndrome is not just vomiting, yet everyone mentions that as the only form of dumping syndrome. Yes nausea and vomiting are two symptoms but so are cramps, diarrhea, flushing, dizziness and even rapid heart rate.

it is rapid gastric emptying where food moves from your stomach to your small bowel to quickly.

while yes suga is a big trigger it’s not always a trigger or the only one. I think most sugar is avoidable after bariatric surgery (there are sweet alternatives) and a low carb way of life is optimal. But other things can trigger dumping like some sugar Alcohols and foods a particular person is sensitive to.

i avoid sugar and eat as low carb as much as possible. My nutritionist suggests less than 5 grams of sugar in a meal.

as for dumping on purpose? Someone might do it if they are constipated. And it doesn’t mean cheating with sugar. Mostly it just happens and you might not know the trigger because it’s not always as simple as sugar. I also think doctors don’t explain dumping syndrome and what it is. My nutritionist did but not exactly the symptoms or that sugar isn’t the only trigger.

I could be wrong but everyone seems to assume the OP wants to binge on sugar to see what happens.

some folks can have a little bit of natural sweet food And complex carbs after bariatric surgery and do fine while others need to eat little to no sugar or carbs.

I pray dumping doesn't happen to me. This seems terrible, I've seen a few wls employees in my office experience this at work. Yet, they continue to repeat the behavior with the same food. One of them never dumped until she had the revision to rouxny. The other lady has the sleeve and she's not going to let something like dumping get in the way of her love of sugar. I personally hate being nauseous and miserable, I can deal with pain better than nausea and vomiting.

Honestly, I totally understand where you’re coming from. I’d rather know I dump for certain and had the experience in my own home so I know for certain what it’s like. I totally 100% understand you. Obviously you had surgery because you had an issue with food- we all do. I don’t see this post as wanting to try those foods, rather I see this post as a fellow type A wanting to know what to expect before we’re out and it happens and we’re unprepared and scared.

On 12/20/2019 at 3:49 PM, JRT Mom said:

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm doing. I like the idea of don't find out, 'cause if you DON'T dump you might start eating a lot of sugar again. I was just curious what it was like.

Yesterday I ate a teeny tiny chocolate pretzel ball and nothing happened.

Dumping can vary even for the same person. I have had one cookie, small piece of chocolate, or a bite of ice cream etc occasionally after 8 months and on maintenance and been fine. However I’ve had stomach aches from crackers I’ve eaten a dozen times before.
This weekend I had limited choices not being home and ate mashed potatoes (had them before) and 5 hours later had diarrhea. So you will eventually figure out if you are someone who can tolerate small amounts like me or not. However that doesn’t guarantee it will never happen.

I wish a dumped from sugar- sadly I don’t. Trust me it’s a tool you want to have because it keeps you in line knowing there are ramifications. When you have none, like me, it’s like you didn’t even have surgery. I can’t eat a lot but I can eat whatever and not dump thus far. Which means I have to have major self control and if I had that I would t have needed surgery.

1 hour ago, Serengirl said:

I wish a dumped from sugar- sadly I don’t. Trust me it’s a tool you want to have because it keeps you in line knowing there are ramifications. When you have none, like me, it’s like you didn’t even have surgery. I can’t eat a lot but I can eat whatever and not dump thus far. Which means I have to have major self control and if I had that I would t have needed surgery.

Have to disagree with you. The majority of RNY patient do not dump, and the vast majority of VSG patients do not dump. Yet most WLS patients are successful ....

I’ve been very fortunate and have not experienced dumping. I hope to keep up this trend!

@sillykitty I never said you couldn’t be successful I was speaking of my own experience only and that has nothing to do with how well anyone does. Happy new year

Horrible_Horrible once again Horrible.... I got flushed, hot, sweaty, a lot cramping/pain , body shaking, pale, vomiting, diarrhea then after I had the worst headache and was very weak for hours. All this from not thinking and taking a bite of Pecan Pie. Someone said yum try this and I just did it without even thinking. Damon those life long habits. So the take home message here is DONT DO IT.....

I've done it just from eating too fast and it is awful....I do know that if you over eat or something gets stuck get some papaya enzymes and chew 4 of them and it helps digestion....it is a miracle!

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app