Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Denver Batiatric? Dr. Snyder?

I was wondering if anyone is in the Denver area or in Colorado? And if anyone is using Dr. Snyder as their surgeon?

I had surgery with Dr.Weaver at the same practice as Dr.Synder this past August and had a great experience. Dr.Synder has been around quite awhile and is well respected. It’s a pretty well organized program (minus some billing issues I am still dealing with, but no fault of the providers). Hilary, the nutritionist, is really kind and knowledgeable. Elaine, the NP you follow after surgery, is also great. Rose provided top notch care too. I had a one night stay and fairly easy recovery. You’ll be in good hands with their program!

Awesome!! How was your recovery? How is your weight loss? Do you go to any support groups?

I went with Dr Joshua Long in Lone Tree, his team is amazing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 12/20/2019 at 10:00 AM, sarahSingh91 said:

Awesome!! How was your recovery? How is your weight loss? Do you go to any support groups?

Recovery was easier than I expected! I was pretty tired for about 3 weeks, but after I was able to get in more calories and Protein I started feeling much better. I have lost about 50 lbs (I will be 4 months out on 12/27) and my BMI has dropped from 36 to 27.5. I feel so much stronger and much more energetic. I work out twice a week with a personal trainer to help gain muscle mass, and then another 2-3 x a week on my own. I haven’t done any of the support groups, but I feel like as I get further out they may be helpful to remind me of my why and to keep bad habits from creeping back in my life. Do you have a surgery date set yet?

Yes my surgery date is Jan 14th. I am very excited. I think I am going to train after with Geof at Phoenix gym but not sure yet. My BMI is 40 so I have a good 100lbs to lose to my goal weight. What gym do u use? I’m scared a personal trainer is going to break the bank lol

Oh, congrats! That will be here so soon! I’m so excited for you! I have been working out with Geof. It is pricey, but I really needed to make that investment in myself. I’ve cut costs other ways since surgery (less food costs/not eating out, stopped buying Starbucks, No beer/wine, etc). I was too intimidated to try it on my own in a big box gym. Plus, I really needed that motivation. I won’t miss a session with him because I am paying good money, lol. It’s easier to skip out on a workout if I don’t have someone holding me accountable. Geof is knowledgeable about both weight training/exercise and weight loss surgery/nutrition. He seems to know when to push me and when my body needs a break. I plan to continue 2x week with him in January, then cut back to 1x week and start trying some strength training on my own now that I am feeling stronger and more confident (October was my first month working out with him).

On 12/23/2019 at 08:36, 303nursemom said:

Oh, congrats! That will be here so soon! I’m so excited for you! I have been working out with Geof. It is pricey, but I really needed to make that investment in myself. I’ve cut costs other ways since surgery (less food costs/not eating out, stopped buying Starbucks, No beer/wine, etc). I was too intimidated to try it on my own in a big box gym. Plus, I really needed that motivation. I won’t miss a session with him because I am paying good money, lol. It’s easier to skip out on a workout if I don’t have someone holding me accountable. Geof is knowledgeable about both weight training/exercise and weight loss surgery/nutrition. He seems to know when to push me and when my body needs a break. I plan to continue 2x week with him in January, then cut back to 1x week and start trying some strength training on my own now that I am feeling stronger and more confident (October was my first month working out with him).

I actually go in to see him this morning at 10am to do an in body scan!! ☺️ me and my husband may also go with him because I have a 3 month old baby and he said I would be able to bring him with instead of leaving him in a gym daycare! So I really appreciate that

That’s great you met with Geof! And it is a really nice option to be able to bring your baby. You are so brave! A new mom and a major life change. Pretty cool that your baby won’t remember this process though, and will just know the healthy new you! My kids are 7 & 8 and it was a bit tricky trying to decide what to tell them.

Yea I totally Understand! I’m still trying to think of I am going to tell a lot of people or just keep it to myself? I am really private so I’ll probably just keep it to myself. If people ask I may share. Was this ur first surgery? I am really nervous about going under? I have never had surgery and I think I am mainly worried about the unknown. And not knowing what to expect.

It was my first time going under general anesthesia and I was really nervous too. I had c-sections with my kids, but I just had a spinal so I was awake. I don’t remember much, but I remember rolling into the OR, then my next memory was when they were transporting me to my room after the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU). I don’t remember my PACU stay at all, so hopefully I behaved! 🤣
I understand wanting to keep it private. I only told close family and a couple of my closest friends about the surgery. I didn’t want to hear everyone’s opinions, so I stuck with telling only those I knew would be supportive. Maybe in time I will share with more people.

Yea I’m really nervous about the anesthesia. But I’m sure it will be fine. People with really bad health issues do this surgery all the time. And I am blessed in the fact that I don’t have any health issues other than insulin resistance and pcos. And over weight. How long did the entire process take before u where able to see your family? Like from the surgery time and PACU time? Cause Snyder said our surgery takes him 35 minutes.
Im such a control freak so it helps me to know each step 🤣
I have told my close friends and my close family. Some family I haven’t even told. Like a lot of my husbands side because they r in India.
How is loose skin treating you?
So my stats are
5’8”
Highest weight 336
Current weight 275 ( I lost all the weight diet and exercise on my own without nutritionist etc got down to 230 then got pregnant)
Goal weight 150-160
I started my journey for surgery Dec 7 so I have not been at it long. Even though I have looked into it for years. Even attended some classes at university in the past. My insurance is very lenient and don’t require much prep work.

I think why I am so nervous is because this is an elective surgery not a really “medical” need to “save” my life? I say that loosely because it is saving my life but not in the emergency sense? If that makes any sense. Lol.

(I thought my long response via private message made more sense than public forum, but it’s weird it won’t go through!)

It definitely makes sense and is totally normal! I am a nurse and work in a PACU and I was still really nervous. So was my husband, maybe evenmore so than me! He literally broke out into a rash the day prior to my surgery. The dermatologist thought it was stress dermatitis. Crazy! Poor guy 🤣 Just keep reminding yourself Dr.Snyder is an expert and the nurses, anesthesiologist, and otherprofessionals at Rose are amazing as well! You picked a great program and will do great! It’s also normal to have a few rough weeks at first. I think between your body healing, hormone surges, and not being able to eat solid food like a “normal” person your emotions can be all over the place. It gets easier before you know it though! At 4 months out I tolerate most things in small amounts. I just feel like a light eater and I love it. I stick to the Protein first rule, but I can get some veggies and a little fruit in now too. I even splurged this Christmas and had a piece of cinnamon role and couple bites of hash browns. Back on track tomorrow!

My surgery also wasn’t considered “medically necessary” and because my BMI was under 40 my insurance wouldn’t cover it. PCOS and chronic back pain (Degenerative disc disease) were my only issues and my insurance didn’t consider those qualifying reasons. 🙄 Since I was self pay I pretty much just picked my day. You are really lucky your insurance approved so fast! That’s great! I’ve heard horror stories about it taking up to a year for approval, which has to be so frustrating. When I decided I wanted this surgery, I wanted it done before I chickened out, lol. I had been considering it and researching it for years too. I know I am still early out, but I have no regrets today, I Just wish I had done it sooner. I am only 5’3” and started at 205 lbs. I’m down to 155 lbs and would love to get to 125-130 lbs. Weight has been a struggle for most of my life and I have been the classic yo-yo dieter. I feel hopeful this tool will help me reach (and hopefully stay at!) my goal. My back pain is already so much better after losing 50 lbs too. I am so thankful for that! I have a little sagging skin on my arms and belly, and my boobs are loose and saggy (pregnancies didn’t help that though either, lol), other than that not too bad. I would love a “mommy makeover” after reaching my goal, but it’s probably not realistic since I had to pay for this surgery out of pocket. Oh well, I would rather have loose skin than be obese and miserable.

(My husband wasn’t allowed in recovery, but I got a room pretty quick and he met me there. Since I don’t remember my PACU stay at all that worked well for me, haha! I believe he waited around 3 hrs total between surgery and recovery.)