Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sea sickness and a wicked stitch

Hi everyone first time poster here.
I come out of surgery last Saturday, so I am on day six. I am feeling a little worse for ware today. I got a nasty running-stitch just above where you would normally get a stitch just under my bottom rib. I called the doc and she said it’s gas pain. Never felt gas in this way so just a bit questionable.

also feeing like I got acid reflux in my throat, this is without eating or drinking - for example I woke up all through the night and this morning feeling the same way. So not sure why I am getting that also.

You people are the ONLY people o have told that I have had this done, no family or friends know about this either as I felt I didn’t want them to look at me and think “he has lost loads of weight but it doesn’t count as he cheated” is this just me feeling like they wanted to keep it private? This is damn hard!!!! Yesterday was difficult as i started to crave food for the first time (day 5)

anyway I just wanted to say hi in desperation to tell someone lol

and yes doing this a few days before Xmas day was not my greatest of ideas but I’m sure you all going back in time we’re all so excited that when you got your date you didn’t care what event was coming up after :)

Regards

Lee

Welcome Lee,

The pain under your rib could be gas or could be where you were stitched up & it just needs to heal. Some docs have their patients take an antacid for a few months after surgery to help with healing. Ask your doc about that.
People think this is taking the easy way out but it’s not, it’s pretty hard. We still have to face our weight demons to keep the weight off!
as your weight drops quickly people are going to start asking questions. Have your answer prepared if you don’t want to tell them about the surgery. I person ally think that WLS needs to be talked about more.

I would never lie to people who ask... I’m dieting (fact) ... very difficult (fact) ... smaller portions (fact) ... I don’t know, I may tel them I’m still undecided. I’m actually not a big guy. I am only 17.3 stone 245 lb ish and now down to 16.4 this morning I am a type 1 diabetic and has bad news on a checkup about my eyes so that freaked me out and took this procedure to limit my food intake (carbs) and avoid a lot of sugar/carb absorption from my food. I could have just dieted for life but I have incredibly bad will power. Hands up I admit it. But I want to keep my sight. I did this 10% vanity... 40% help general diabetes... 50% keep my vision.

in that respect I don’t mind telling friends and family, but I have a very judgemental family which is preventing me.
The doc has giving me those ant acids tablets that melt into a weird texture in your mouth for a month.l and I take gripe Water. If it is gas then so be it but it is not a pleasant feeling not something I’m used to. I’m usually on a normal day a gassy man 😛 but as I said this sucks and is painful

Omg the gas pain is HORRIBLE! It feels like you're being stabbed sometimes. It feels absolutely nothing like gas that we are all familiar with. I had no idea that was coming even though I did lots of reading/research/etc. Thats because the gas in the body cavity itself and not the stomach. It took me about 10 days for all the gas to get out of my system and it was really bad when I was trying to sleep flat for the night. The only thing I could do to make it feel better was to walk for a good half hour and then it started to subside only to flare again in 5 hourse or so.

It also could be the incision spot where it is healing not on the skin but in the fat content etc. I didn't have that problem so I couldn't tell you.

BUT the gas is VERY real. It's even related to shoulder pains since the nerve around the diaphragm can get irritated and the pain travels the nerve up to the shoulder.

5 hours ago, BrumLee said:

And yes doing this a few days before Xmas day was not my greatest of ideas

You have given yourself one of the most important Christmas gifts you can ever have--the gift of health! Merry Christmas!

Thanks for sharing. You're doing great. Keep up the good work and good luck on your weight loss journey. This gas pain will pass (no pun intended).

Thank for all your replies. I hope it does as I’m sat rocking here in agony even with gripe Water and liquid paracetamol you know us men are usually pansies when it comes to sickness and pain but this is seriously horrific

@BrumLee I had RNY on 12/9 and the incision on my right side just stopped hurting today. They told me that was the incision where the doctor did most of his work from. As far as the gas pain I think walking, walking and more walking is about all you can do until it passes. Good luck wishing you the best.