Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No eggs on purée?

I see that a lot of people are okayed to have eggs in the purée stage, but my nutritionist has specifically said no eggs until the soft stage. Any thoughts on why?

If I had to guess, it's because the firmness of eggs depends on how long/how they're cooked. I suppose that your nutritionist preferred to err on the side of caution and just put them off until soft-stage. I know I had trouble with hard-boiled eggs in those early days. They filled me up-FAST and they could hurt if I didn't chew them to an unpleasant mush.

Most days I like my eggs very soft (not slimy, but soft). So, when I scramble they're very soft and fluffy. I've even developed an affinity for soft-boiled eggs. I may have one for Breakfast several times per week.

Personally, I would think eggs made to custard consistency is probably OK on a pureed stage. However, definitely follow your nutritionist's advice. It's a short time that will go fast and you'll be able to indulge in eggs again once you've healed.

I have another month of purée (already been on purée for 1 month). The team is specific about not advancing the diet until you are seen by them and they “can’t fit me in” until 1/16. This is really starting to affect me psychologically. And I just don’t feel very secure in what they are telling me. But, I am truly trying to follow what they say and want.

I didn’t have a purées stage but I was not allowed to eat eggs until soft food stage. They are a very dense Protein. I am only able to eat a bite or two at this point.

Always best to follow the plan that was given to you. I feel sure that you could call your surgeons office and ask why. My office has a person there specifically to answer these types of questions. Do t hesitate to call when you are not sure if something.

Edited by Losingit2018

It’s interesting because I couldn’t tolerate most purée foods except maybe good culture cottage cheese, but soft boiled eggs were more easily to tolerate. I also did a slow cooked custard type scrambled egg. Just start with less at first. Egg is a good Protein source. A good thing to start is mixing TwoGood yogurt with Protein Powder (I use PEScience select) or even use 4 ounces of Fage total zero Greek yogurt with half a scoop of PEScience select protein powder and a little bit of ripple milk to thin it out as needed (I personally prefer pea protein Ripple milk, it’s more sustainable and tasty than almond milk and has protein in it I use plain unsweetened but they have unsweetened vanilla too)

apologies I ramble ...

On 12/17/2019 at 19:02, Darktowerdream said:

It’s interesting because I couldn’t tolerate most purée foods except maybe good culture cottage cheese, but soft boiled eggs were more easily to tolerate. I also did a slow cooked custard type scrambled egg. Just start with less at first. Egg is a good Protein source. A good thing to start is mixing TwoGood yogurt with Protein Powder (I use PEScience select) or even use 4 ounces of Fage total zero Greek yogurt with half a scoop of PEScience select Protein powder and a little bit of ripple milk to thin it out as needed (I personally prefer pea protein Ripple milk, it’s more sustainable and tasty than almond milk and has protein in it I use plain unsweetened but they have unsweetened vanilla too)

apologies I ramble ...

I do the protein powder in two good yogurt every day, excellent way to get my protein in. But, I am getting a little tired of the same foods every day. The list of protein foods on my list at this stage is only 11 foods. eggs are not one of them. It just gets a little psychologically hard since I have been on this diet for over a month and will now have to do it for another month. I’m not really sure how that is supposed to help me and what’s worse is that it is only this way because my first appointment was canceled the day of, I didn’t have any time left from work to take another day off, was finally placated with getting a telephone appointment, and now they “can’t fit me in” for another month. It is all just weighing on me mentally.

6 minutes ago, mediocreoblongata said:

I do the Protein Powder in two good yogurt every day, excellent way to get my Protein in. But, I am getting a little tired of the same foods every day. The list of protein foods on my list at this stage is only 11 foods. eggs are not one of them. It just gets a little psychologically hard since I have been on this diet for over a month and will now have to do it for another month. I’m not really sure how that is supposed to help me and what’s worse is that it is only this way because my first appointment was canceled the day of, I didn’t have any time left from work to take another day off, was finally placated with getting a telephone appointment, and now they “can’t fit me in” for another month. It is all just weighing on me mentally.

I’ve had a lot of restrictions for various reasons and it does get a bit stressing mentally but I guess I am also creature of habit and stick to things I’m familiar with or know works. I rotate between certain things and slowly try adding things. Try to find a way to ease the mental burden of it being a diet and how long or feeling deprived of something. it’s a new way of life you are in.

Try making a soft boiled egg and see how you feel eating it. Also BariatricPal has a variety of things that can work on purée like protein Soups. I hated the purée phase and it hated me. My phases lasted longer than most. But everyone is different. I started having soft veggie burger. BariatricPal makes a protein mash potato.

get in the head space try not to worry over time. Try to mix the foods on your list in creative ways. You can do it. You will get through this. Try to focus on what the goal is, changing your approach to food. But maybe I’m just weird I don’t need a lot variety. Just the little things like the occasional sugar free whipped topping on my yogurt ... (although the almond reddi whip is good too)

13 hours ago, mediocreoblongata said:

I have another month of purée (already been on purée for 1 month). The team is specific about not advancing the diet until you are seen by them and they “can’t fit me in” until 1/16. This is really starting to affect me psychologically. And I just don’t feel very secure in what they are telling me. But, I am truly trying to follow what they say and want.

Nah, eff that. My surgeon tried to do that to me - I would have had to wait 2 extra weeks to start my normal diet because she has 1 office day a week and one week was booked and the next was Thanksgiving.

I told them when I booked that appointment that I would be calling the week that should have been my one month appt which was when I'd be approved for normal foods and exercise. So I did. I called that week, told them I was doing fine, told them how much weight I'd lost and all and I got approved to do what I want and I was able to eat Turkey on Thanksgiving.

2 months on puree is insane. I didn't even have a puree phase.

14 hours ago, mediocreoblongata said:

I see that a lot of people are okayed to have eggs in the purée stage, but my nutritionist has specifically said no eggs until the soft stage. Any thoughts on why?

Every plan is different, sweetie. And you really need to follow the plan.

As others have said eggs can be hard on your new tum--I think part of it is the yolk? I never had any issues with them, but I didn't have many issues progressing and I went from liquids to fork tender mushies rather than purees. But I do think VSGs are different cuz the pouch & incision is so long in the active part of the stomach. With an RNY the the remnant stomach isn't exposed to needing to churn food around.

It will pass quickly. I promise! Focus on other things rather than food during this time. Easier said than done. But having said that, you could always call or email with your RD and ask to be advanced.

I use a method from Tony Bourdain only instead of adding sour cream, I add Fage Greek Nonfat Yogurt to soft eggs while scrambling them slowly. And I mix it in. That way they cook, but stay super creamy and go down very easily! When the eggs are halfway done, add the yogurt and stir it in, then season it. Yum. Now I want those for breakfast!

I also love soft boiled eggs and savory and sweet egg custard! I also use a lot of Real Egg Whites and poach them and they are a very soft, tofu consistency. You can always blend up egg drop Soup too. But call or email your RD first!!!!

Edited by FluffyChix

I did the link below when I entered the purée stage. It was heaven. I really need to do it again now that I think about it. It was so easy, so much Protein and so tasty. They have some info about eggs on the page, BUT follow your doctor's advice.

https://bariatricbits.com/pureed-classic-egg-salad/

5 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

I use a method from Tony Bourdain only instead of adding sour cream, I add Fage Greek Nonfat Yogurt to soft eggs while scrambling them slowly. And I mix it in. That way they cook, but stay super creamy and go down very easily! When the eggs are halfway done, add the yogurt and stir it in, then season it. Yum. Now I want those for breakfast!

Aren't these some of the best food? !? When we get to other stages or just normal, we tend to forget some of the best basic recipes.

1 minute ago, Krestel said:

Aren't these some of the best food? !? When we get to other stages or just normal, we tend to forget some of the best basic recipes.

LOL! IKR???!!! I try to keep most of the stuff I cook that way! :) It just makes it easy peasy! I'm kinda mad I can't have those for dinner tonight. :) I had to use up some cauli for brekky and had breakfast hash and a fried egg so couldn't have them this morning!

In general, we should follow our program's instructions; however, if you are being held up by scheduling issues rather than their progression calendar or individual problems, then I agree with livdacovich and give them a call - 2 months on purees is insane (as a general rule - some rare individual circumstances may require it.) We were on a puree diet, including eggs, in the hospital, so there is a huge YMMV thing going on between programs - some will allow steak at the same time that others are still on liquids.

This is one of the things about these different programs that is really interesting (and a bit concerning) to me - are the ones with slow progressions doing so from experience (they tried going faster, but their patients had problems) or inexperience ("that's the way we've always done it..." and they never bothered trying anything else)? Is there something about the techniques that a surgeon uses that requires a slower progression, or conversely allows for more rapid progression? As patients here, we don't really know. There are lots of stories and urban legends on the internet about someone's sister-in-law knew someone who died from something they ate ahead of time (and some doctors or staff may repeat them to encourage compliance.) I have noted that several of the legacy DS/VSG programs are similarly quick progressing to what I went through - is there a difference between a sleeved stomach and a pouch in that regard (I don't know if my program differs any in that regard with the RNY as they rarely do them anymore.)?

Give your doc's office a call when you would normally be scheduled to advance and ask about it.

Good luck

On 12/19/2019 at 09:32, RickM said:

In general, we should follow our program's instructions; however, if you are being held up by scheduling issues rather than their progression calendar or individual problems, then I agree with livdacovich and give them a call - 2 months on purees is insane (as a general rule - some rare individual circumstances may require it.) We were on a puree diet, including eggs, in the hospital, so there is a huge YMMV thing going on between programs - some will allow steak at the same time that others are still on liquids.

This is one of the things about these different programs that is really interesting (and a bit concerning) to me - are the ones with slow progressions doing so from experience (they tried going faster, but their patients had problems) or inexperience ("that's the way we've always done it..." and they never bothered trying anything else)? Is there something about the techniques that a surgeon uses that requires a slower progression, or conversely allows for more rapid progression? As patients here, we don't really know. There are lots of stories and urban legends on the internet about someone's sister-in-law knew someone who died from something they ate ahead of time (and some doctors or staff may repeat them to encourage compliance.) I have noted that several of the legacy DS/VSG programs are similarly quick progressing to what I went through - is there a difference between a sleeved stomach and a pouch in that regard (I don't know if my program differs any in that regard with the RNY as they rarely do them anymore.)?

Give your doc's office a call when you would normally be scheduled to advance and ask about it.

Good luck

Thank you! It’s rather concerning how different each team does it to me, too! I mean, really, how complicated does it need to be? It’s confusing, but I am following mine to the T. It just gets frustrating, errg! So, I was supposed to have been advanced 2 weeks ago, but I didn’t get to because the office canceled my appointment 3 hours before it was supposed to happen. Then, when I couldn’t get time off from work the next week to make the trip down to see them, they placated me with a phone appointment. Certainly not ideal, and even then, at the phone appointment because I couldn’t make it in to see them (arrg) they said I couldn’t advance because I have to be seen. All around disappointing, I expressed how that is seriously really hard on me and just got the same answer. “Have to be seen”. So, now they can’t fit me in until 1/16/20. So SOL for me I guess. Sorry, I’m ranting because I’m pissed off and feel like I’m getting pushed aside. Thank you for understanding :)

I had eggs during puree. I blended them into egg salad. I basically lived off chili and egg salad during that stage.